*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/868421-Family-Cruise---Part-IV
by Dottie
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Travel · #868421
This is mostly about NCL's private island in the Bahamas!
Family Cruise To The Bahamas
Part - IV



         The next day, the boat anchored off shore in the Bahamas. Those who wished to go ashore were shuttled to a little Island, Great Stirrup Cay. We were one of the first to make the crossing onto the Island’s beach early in the morning. We had a long day ahead of us. I must admit that excursion was the most relaxing. Waiting for us, as we stepped off the ramp of the ferry, were umbrellas and chairs as far as the eyes could see, well mine anyway. We picked our spot close to the facilities and the grilling area, which would be set up for our dining pleasure. This excursion was free and part of the cruise. Passengers would arrive all the day long. Smaller boats would pick up groups of people who had made reservations for scuba diving or parasailing. My daughter in-laws ran off to rent floats for us. In their absence, those of us who stayed behind slipped out of our clothes and relaxed in bathing suits in the beach chairs. We slathered on sunscreen and went into the somewhat clear green ocean water. I was happy I stayed mostly on a float. There was marine life swimming about. In fact, Dan stepped on a sea urchin and was bitten on his big toe in two places. That must have shocked him. A trip to the infirmary and quick treatment by the medical staff saved the day, and then he put on his wet shoes. Better late than never!

         Roseann snapped many pictures of the beach area, the ferry and us. She had brought along a disposable water camera. She also took pictures of our anchored ship from the ferry. At one point, I watched her lean over in the water and practically dip her face in the ocean to take pictures of fish. Amused, I remarked, “That’s ridiculous. The pictures are not going to come out.” But when the pictures were developed at home, she did capture fish in movement. Later on, my grandson, Robbie talked about a small shark that went around the people wading in the water, and then it turned away. How scary that must have been. I've since learned that they were sand sharks. Richie noticed the small shark, too, but he was concentrating on a float carrying a man and three small children. They had ventured beyond the cordoned off ropes and floated into the path of vessel traffic. The ferry was coming in to shore again, and those people were in trouble. Richie swam out to the float. The man remained on the float and was yelling at his kids to get out of it and push it back across the other side of the ropes. “No way”, Richie reasoned. They were very young children. The oldest couldn’t have been more than 10 years old, and the waters were over their heads in that section. As Richie pushed the float over to the other side of the ropes, a lifeguard swam over. Both he and the lifeguard pushed the float and its occupants close to shore. Richie said the man didn’t say anything. He probably was embarrassed. A modest thank you to the rescuers would have been nice.

         Even though it was hot on the beach, the people appeared to be having a good time. Some passengers were dancing to music that a band was playing. Others were playing table tennis and volleyball. I enjoyed watching my two grandsons playing the game together. My daughter-in-laws and I strolled over to the Straw market to check out the souvenirs. On display were some enchanting Island outfits, mostly beach cover-ups and long dresses. I bought a couple of T-shirts, a brown painted hand carved wooden cat with ‘The Bahamas’ inscribed in black on it. I also bought a straw plaque of blue dolphins done in needlepoint, and souvenir magnets for the refrigerators at home. I purchased a bright yellow t-shirt for my son, Pat. The needlepoint plaque would go to a special friend back home. That was my purchases at the straw market. It was too hot to stay there very long, and I was eager to get back under a shaded umbrella or splash in the ocean again.

         In the meantime, Dan and Roseann had come upon a couple that we had met previously on the ship. The charming couple had found a picnic table and benches, which were shaded by palm trees and bushes. Best of all, it was right next to the restrooms. They were happy to share their spot with us. Anyway, later on we watched their belongings when the couple left to get a body massage somewhere on the Island. They had made reservations in advance on the ship. Meanwhile, my daughter in-law, Maryann, had her hair braided at the straw market. Ouch! For a few moments, there was a slight breeze and I experienced an illusion of actually being cool. The guys and the kids had retrieved our belongings at the shoreline, and carried them over to the picnic area. Some of the crew walked among the people selling bottles of iced cold water and alcoholic drinks. How anyone could drink beer or sweet alcoholic drinks in all that heat, escaped my comprehension. Dan, Richie, and the girls went to get our food. The lines were long, but they moved quickly. They brought back delicious barbeque fare, and I ate everything that was on my plate, except for a corn on the cob, which I handed over to my grandson, Robbie. He was having the time of his life, too. The room key cards bought the beverages. I must say I did enjoy the day. It’s been many years since I was at the seashore, and this cruise took me back again. But I wasn't sorry to leave the beach area later on in the day and get back aboard to the comfort of the ship and into my air-conditioned stateroom.

You'll next read about The Atlantis tour on Paradise Island - "Family Cruise - Part V



© Copyright 2004 Dottie (dillyd32 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/868421-Family-Cruise---Part-IV