*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/869727-Gamer
Rated: E · Short Story · Hobby/Craft · #869727
The twisted view of someone obsessed with video games.
I was monitoring their progress in the last few days. They were working to out maneuver me, but I was just one step ahead of them. It was nice to have the challenge. When we first started this they were fairly easy to overtake. They were starting to use their brain. When I destroyed most of their fleet in our last altercation, I knew they would try another strategy.

I sent my scouts ahead to gain an advantage on them. My scouts had no chance of being discovered since we took the guards out earlier. The information from my scouts was vital to staying one step ahead.

I decided that some reinforcements would be good. I didn't really believe I would need them, but the experience would be good to help train the new recruits. I would use them as my primary attack. I knew many lives would be lost, but those that survived would be seasoned, and better equipped for the next battle.

A siren sounded. What was going on? Why would they try to attack now, that was suicide? Unfortunately, it was working. My forces were not prepared for an all out attack. I had to get troops out there quick or things were going
to get ugly. I feared the worst.

"Click" was the last thing I heard. I had to reset the game. I saved it a few moments before the onslaught. I would be better prepared this time. I glanced to the clock. It was morning again. I had been at this for a few days or maybe months.

It didn't matter anymore. I had nothing but time since my wife left. She was always bugging me about spending time with her. I had a simple solution, but she never even stayed on her computer long enough to find out if she liked it. I didn't want her to go. What had I done that was so bad? I was a good guy. I bought her anything she wanted. She couldn't say that the stereo I got her wasn't top of the line. I spared no expense with her, but she never appreciated anything I did. She was always complaining about how much time I spent playing video games. I told her it was what I liked to do for fun so if she couldn't understand that it wasn't my fault. I tried to explain to her that you had to spend time playing or you would suck. What was the big deal? It wasn't my fault if she didn't have a hobby of her own.

It was her fault I lost my job. I was so upset that she left me that I had to find some source of peace. I kept trying to tell them that the video games were put on after she left me. I don't care what their stupid program said. It was broken because there was no way I was spending four hours a day playing video games. How could they monitor that stuff? I just had it open. I wasn't really playing. I knew a bunch of other people that played way more then I did. Why didn't they get fired? They just wanted to get rid of me. They needed to make cuts and I was an easy target.

Now my mom is giving me a hard time about how much I do around the house. I am a grown man. I don't have to listen to what she says. She is always trying to control my life. I am going to find a job and get out of this place after this last game.
© Copyright 2004 Johnny Lang (johnnylang at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/869727-Gamer