*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/875082-Convention-2004--Love-and-Laughter
Rated: ASR · Essay · Writing.Com · #875082
My take on the wonderful experience of Writing.com's Convention 2004!
It was a dark and stormy night when suddenly we heard some sinister sounds. Shaking, we turned to face a flock of feral chickens and one sour-milk-spewing South American tree frog.

Or so the story went, more or less, during one live-campfire at the 2004 Writing.com convention, complete with brave volunteers passing a cordless microphone, crickets chirping in the background, lights dimmed spookily, and candle & flashlight “fires” to read by. The rest of us sat in a semi-circle around the participants and thoroughly enjoyed their clever, witty, impromptu storytelling.

But this was just one of the myriad of fun activities the SM and SMs had in store for the attendees this year. Over the course of 4 days, we came together as a family of creativity to get to know new friends and embrace the old.

In a meeting room reserved 24 hours a day just for us, there were games galore (including Yahtzee, Scrabble, Jenga, Scruples, a magic 8 ball, and playing cards, to name a few), as well as hilarious ice-breaker get-to-know-you questions, crayons and paper, and a seemingly endless supply of snacks & drinks. There we were greeted with all kinds of gifts and goodies to start our shared experience. Throughout the weekend people gathered there in ever-changing groups to play, talk, and relax. We were even serenaded there with improvised keyboard music.

Most of all we laughed. During the thoughtfully-varied meals and the campfire-style writing sessions, throughout the open mic night, book swaps, bonus book hunts, creative auction, and dinner/dance, laughter was a near-constant soundtrack to our activities.

Sometimes we cried. Toward the middle of formal night, the SM and SMs shared something very special with us all: their first dance, not to be performed again in public until their fall wedding. Many of us wept in the presence of this incredible couple’s true love ~ we formed a circle around them, linked arms, and cried tears which shined in their own tiny circles on the dance floor. Sometimes you just know a couple is going to make it, and this was one of those times. What an honor to be a part of it all.

Last August, I was anticipating my first writing.com convention. I’d lost my best friend, Gina, to suicide and was struggling with depression and new motherhood. Writing.com had been my haven since December 2002, and Convention 2003 was a physical manifestation of that haven. When I returned from that weekend, I knew wild horses wouldn’t keep me away from the next convention.

The year between has brought its own challenges. In a painful irony, on what would have been Gina’s 35th birthday, January 8th, my husband and I found out that our two-year-old son Jonah is autistic. It took some time for me to come to terms with this new reality and everything it entailed. Luckily, my husband is awesome; he insisted I still take the time for myself and go to Convention 2004.

I mention Jonah’s autism not to pretend to know some kind of suffering unique or singular, but simply to emphasize how much of a haven these four days of Convention 2004 have been for me once again. I found myself able to shed layers of daily worries about Jonah without guilt. I allowed myself time to renew my spirit among those who understood and shared the drive to write, create, and let go of responsibilities - if only for four days of wonderful camaraderie. The faces behind your names were uniquely beautiful, each and every one of you. Together we were rapt and jubilant, energized and sleep-deprived. And when it was over, not one of us wanted it to end.

I hope this year comes free from the kind of trials I’ve faced during the last two, but if it doesn’t, (and does it ever, really, for any one of us?) I will have my writing.com family to return to at Convention 2005, and the next year after that, and for as long as I can come. Thank you, all of you who were there - especially SM & SMs - for making this ‘formerly only child’ feel so welcomed and humbled and happy.

See you next year!

Love,
Winklett
© Copyright 2004 winklett in the woods (winklett at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/875082-Convention-2004--Love-and-Laughter