*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/880736-My-Thoughts-in-a-Hospital-Room
Rated: E · Essay · Family · #880736
My thoughts as my grandfather faces surgery.
Tonight, I am filled with a love that I cannot describe. A love I have witnessed for at least 25 years but held myself oblivious. This love knows no boundaries, nor hatred, nor bitterness. This love is filled with passion and understanding and caring. Since I became a woman I have searched for that kind of love, passion...it was so out of my reach. Today, I was able to realize and understand and be a wonderful witness to that kind of love and I was heartbroken and touched beyond words. My grandparents have been married 55 years (almost 56) and today I was able to open my heart to acknowledge this love for what it is.

Mummaw did not want to leave my Papa's bedside. Papa did not want her to leave him. When she left the hospital room he searched for her. One night she went home against her own will to shower, change, and sleep. Papa searched for her all night and cried when he could not find her. The next day Papa asked her "Where have you been. I have been looking for you. Please don't leave me again." She stays by his side day and night, holding his hand, kissing him when she leaves the room. Taking care of him. Loving him like no other.

Tears came to my eyes as she told a nurse the story of their meeting and they dated only 3 months before they married right after Papa came back from World War II. She told my mother later on that she is not ready for him to go yet. He still has a lot of life left. My mom cried with her as they embraced.
© Copyright 2004 GothLady (kelhawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/880736-My-Thoughts-in-a-Hospital-Room