*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/881689-Deserted-Hideaway
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #881689
Mystery can be found anywhere
          “You’ll never guess what I found for our vacation!” As usual, Penny spoke with an understood exclamation point at the end of her sentence as she burst through the front door of the apartment.

          Mona glanced up from the papers she was grading. “Better than the rock climbing one you ‘discovered’ last week?” Turning her head away from her roommate, she rolled her eyes. I hope it’s better than the last ten ideas you’ve had.

          “Oh, much better. Wait till I tell you!” Penny plopped down on the sofa, pulled her knees up under her chin, and wrapped her arms around her legs. “There’s a deserted island. . .”

          “Deserted island? Now, wait a minute, I am not interested in camping out and roughing it,” Mona interrupted.

          “No, no! Wait until I finish. It was some multi-billionaire’s private island, where he hid from the world. Now it’s been made into a vacation hideaway for small groups!” She tilted her head against the back of the sofa. “The mansion will be staffed with servants and everything.”

          “Whoa!” Mona laid her red pen on top of the test papers in her lap. “How can it be a deserted island with all that?”

          With a girlish giggle, Penny lowered her feet to the floor. “There aren’t any phones, and people can only arrive or leave by boat or helicopter. Isn’t that a blast?” She giggled again. “Besides deserted means to be without people on a permanent basis or to be abandoned. The rich guy abandoned it.”

          Her eyes closed as Mona considered spending a week in a mansion, waited on by servants, no papers to grade, no students to oversee, no phone calls from parents. With a sigh, she asked, “Okay, what’s the catch?” She opened her eyes to stare at her friend.

          “Catch? What makes you think there’s a catch?” Penny blinked, her long lashes brushing her cheeks. “We’ll have a swimming pool, a lovely beach, tennis courts . . .”

          “That’s just it, all that has to have a catch.” She frowned. “Okay, how much will it cost?”

          “How much? How much what?” Penny stretched out on the sofa, fluffing a throw pillow under her head. “Oh, you mean the price?”

          No exclamation points in Penny’s speech alerted Mona. Okay, Missy, what are you hiding? She placed the papers and pen on the end table beside her chair. Rising, she sauntered to stand over the other woman. “Penny O’Dell, tell me everything.”

          Large chocolate brown eyes stared innocently. “I don’t know what you mean.”

          “Yes, you do. And I know you too well. What kind of mess are you getting us into?” Mona placed her fists on her hips. “Out with it.”

          Pivoting so that she sat with her feet once again on the floor, Penny pouted. “Okay. Okay. They’ve never done this before. We’d be part of the first group, so we’d get a good deal.” She glanced up through her lashes. “It really is a great deal! The mansion is still in good shape, even if no one has lived there in years and years! Someone goes there each year and does any maintenance needed! A full staff will be dropped off from the ship with the guests, as well as all the food needed. You’ll see; it’ll be great! Adeen and Tammy will love it, too.”

          With a sigh, Mona dropped onto the sofa beside her friend. “So you don’t even know if this ‘mansion’ has a roof?” She wondered if Adeen and Tammy would follow Penny’s lead. They often did, had ever since the four met during freshman orientation the beginning of college. Six years of feeling as if I babysit three children. She rubbed her forehead with the tips of two fingers.

          “They said that the last inspection and maintenance was just a couple of months ago.”

          Mona slapped her hands on her knees before jumping to her feet. “Who is this ‘they’ you keep quoting?” she demanded as she paced across the carpet. “Oh, Penny, what have you gotten us into this time?’

          “I haven’t gotten us into anything. We have until tomorrow at noon to decide whether or not we go! One of my customer’s brothers-in-law, Brad Conners, is a descendent of the rich guy. The relatives can’t sell the island, so they came up with this idea to make some money from it!” She followed Mona to stand by the window overlooking the street. “Hey, Brad says he’s going in the first group to make sure everything works. I mean, if Brad is going, what could go wrong?”

          Mona closed her eyes. Everything based on the word of the brother-in-law of an interior decorator’s customer, sure what could go wrong?

          A month later on the packed sand at the bottom of the wooden steps leading up to a terrace above, Mona mumbled, “Sure, what could go wrong?”

          She watched the crew from the ship carrying large bundles and boxes up the steps. Twelve staff members, part of the group staying with the guests, left the ship several hours earlier with enough linens to prepare rooms for occupancy and with supplies for the first meal. However, the unloading of the remaining supplies took longer and more muscle power than planned. Many of the men guests joined the crew to manhandle the loads off the ship into dinghies, which members of the crew rowed to shore. Then the men wrestled the items to shore and up the steep stairs. Finally, during the last rays of daylight, the ten women guests waited to follow.

          “Isn’t this just so exciting?” Tammy sighed; her freckled nose wrinkled. “Smell the freshness of the air.”

          “Oh, my, yes,” the petite blond next to Tammy agreed. “ I can’t wait until I can start taking pictures.”

          Turning to face the two, Mona asked, “Why can’t you start taking pictures now, Adeen?”

          “Well, because my camera is . . .” Adeen stopped, looked down at her chest, then laughed. “Oh, I forgot my camera was around my neck. How silly.” With one hand she patted the 35 mm camera on the end of the strap. “Uh, where’s Penny? I want to get a photo of her and that hunk.”

          Tammy grabbed Adeen’s arm. “Over there, with the hunk.” The redhead and blond trotted across the sand, leaving their luggage piled beside the platform at the foot of the steps.

          Babysitting three who will never grow up. Mona shook her head. Unbelievable.

          “Miss Anderson?” one of the crew asked from beside her. When she twisted to face the man, he continued. “Ready for me to help carry your luggage up to the house?”

          “Yes, thank you. I was wondering how I was going to get everything up those stairs.” Mona smiled, She picked up the smallest bag as he tucked one suitcase under his arm, took one in each hand, and started up the stairs. Mona followed. Maybe I should call the others. Nope, I’m not really their babysitter.

          When she entered the double carved doors behind the man with her luggage, Mona stopped and stared. The entry hall was enormous with a chandelier hanging from the ceiling three stories above. Stairs curved from both sides of the open area to meet half way up to the second floor, where the two joined to form a single wide flight to the landing. Everywhere she looked, she saw cut glass, polished wood, and marble. Wow! she sighed to herself.

          “May I help you?” A man with silver hair and ram-rod stiff posture stood with his hands behind his back.

          “Oh, uh, yes, I’m Mona Anderson,” she stammered.

          “Ah, yes, Miss Anderson, if you’ll follow me, I’ll give you your room key. My name is Hurberts.” The man marched over to a desk behind the curved stairs on the right side of the room, where he opened a drawer and removed a key. Handing her the key, he told her, “You and Miss Adeen Roberts will be in room eighteen. Miss Penny O’Dell and Miss Tammy Higgins will be in room twenty.” Hurberts nodded toward the crewman with the luggage. “Please carry Miss Anderson’s luggage up. The room is open, the fourth to your right at the top of the stairs. She’ll follow shortly.”

          “Is there something else?” Mona asked.

          “Yes, Miss, you should be aware that only the central portion and east wings of the first and second stories are ready for use, with staff rooms on the third. We request that all guests avoid the west wing and the third story.” Hurberts handed her a packet off the stack siting on the corner of the desk. “A map of the island and mansion is included in here, as well a schedule of meals. Please enjoy your stay.”

          “Thank you. Everything looks so beautiful. I’m sure I’ll enjoy myself.” As she mounted the stairs and found her room as the crewman walked back into the hall, she smiled. The owners surely do have good looking employees.

          “Have a good time, Miss Anderson. The ship will pick you up Sunday afternoon.” The young man tipped his head as he continued toward the stairs.

          Mona stopped inside the door, her eyes wide in surprise. “Oh, my,” she whispered.

          The room stretched at least twenty-five feet by thirty feet; French doors in the wall across from where she stood led to a balcony. To her right, two queen-sized beds , each with bedside tables and a vanity, created a sleeping area with two doors in the wall, one beside each bed. In the area close to the balcony, a sofa and three armchairs formed a comfortable sitting area. In the wall to her left, two other doors stood partially open with a roll-top desk sitting against the wall between them. Her luggage rested on the bed closest to the windows. I’ll keep that bed for mine.

          Mona tossed the bag she carried and her purse beside her other bags before exploring the bedroom area, discovering two enormous closets. These closets are nearly as large as my bedroom at home. The doors on the other side revealed a bathroom and a room with built-in drawers. Wow. I’ve never seen such . . . She strolled to the French doors, throwing them open before she continued onto the balcony. Leaning against the stone bannister, her eyes strayed over the luxurious grounds below, ringed by a dense, nearly jungle, green belt beyond. Occasional paths broke the seemingly solid wall of vegetation and trees. To her left, she could see a corner of a swimming pool.

          “It’s just too good to be true.” She returned to unpack before Adeen arrived with her mountain of belongings. When Mona placed her empty luggage in the back of the closet closest to her bed, she discovered dust on the floor. Guess the staff didn’t have time to do a complete cleaning job. She frowned in thought. Maybe some of the cleaning staff isn’t doing such a good job.

          Mona lay on her bed, inspecting items in the packet given her, when the heavy oak door flew open to reveal Adeen. Two crewmen loaded down with her luggage followed her. “Well, here you are,” she announced. “We wondered where you went.” She flashed a bright smile at the men. “I guess put my things on the empty bed.”

          As soon as the crew members left, Adeen twirled around the room, touching the back of a chair, the top of the desk, a shiny metal doorknob. “This is fabulous! Wow! Could you imagine living in a place like this all the time?”

          “Hardly,” Mona answered before laughing. “Could you imagine having to clean a place like this?”

          “Party pooper. Why do you always have to be so literal?” The blond-haired woman opened the door to the bathroom. “This is huge. Even Tammy couldn’t pile enough stuff in here to fill it up.” She moved to the door on the other side of the desk. “A whole room of drawers and storage. This is so great.” As she entered the dresser closet, as Mona called it in her mind, Adeen’s voice carried back to the bedroom. “Which drawers did you use? Oh, I see. Hmmm . . . left me more than enough room.”

          “Wait until you see the walk-in closet,” Mona replied. “It’s the door on the other side of your bed.”

          Later that evening, Mona knocked on the bathroom door. “Hurry up, Adeen. Dinner will be served at eight.” She glanced at the tiny watch, which had been her grandmother’s, on her wrist. “It’s almost fifteen till.”

          “I’m nearly ready. Why don’t you go on down if you’re in such a hurry?” The muffled voice replied.

          Taking a final look in the full length mirror on the back of the closet door, Mona noticed the royal blue, Grecian-style gown hung smoothly from left shoulder to the tops of the matching two-inch heels. She didn’t realize, though, how the color deepened the dark green of her eyes or how the soft material clung to her body when she moved. She noticed that her dark hair stayed tidy in its knot on top of her head, only a few tendrils curling around her face. She didn’t observe how the style made her slender neck appear more graceful. She patted the cameo broach, with its Grecian figure, at the shoulder of the dress before closing the closet, picking up the black clutch purse on the bed, and walking toward the hall door.

          When Mona entered the library where guests assembled before dinner, she stopped to stare. Men in their white dinner jackets and women in their peacock glory mingled as staff with their black jackets and dresses served hors d’oeuvres and drinks. A giggle to her left caught her attention, but all she could see were the backs of white jackets with a glimpse of cream-colored silk and another of deep red between the pairs of black slacks. Has to be Penny. Only one I know with that giggle.

          “Miss Anderson?” Mona turned to find a slender, silver-haired woman smiling at her. “I’m Thelma Conner, Brad’s mother. Welcome to Deserted Hideaway.”

          Mona extended her right hand. “Hello. I’m glad to meet you. I don’t remember seeing you on the ship.”

          The older woman’s laugh was soft but pleasing. “I took a shortcut by taking the helicopter with the advance cleaning crew yesterday.” She smiled before whispering, “I, uh, I get seasick.”

          Hurberts stepped through a set of double doors at one end of the library to announce, “Dinner is served.”

          “Mother,” a deep voice spoke beside Mona’s shoulder, “Dad is waiting to escort you to dinner. And,” he added, “I would be honored if I may escort you, Mona.”

          “My word, Brad, you sound so stiff and proper.” His mother shook her head as she turned to maneuver her way through the crowd toward the open doors.

          Mona studied the ruggedly handsome face of the man her friends had been drooling over from the beginning of the trip. “Are you sure you want to be my escort? Tammy and Penny are over there.” She pointed in the direction she saw the group earlier. “Well, they were.”

          “I know. I asked some friends to entertain them.” A grin revealed a deep crease in his left cheek. “I’ve heard more giggling the past three days than I did at my baby sister’s last slumber party.”

          “I’m sure. I feel I’m babysitting when around them. Oh!” She covered her mouth with her fingers.

          Brad laughed. “The truth comes out.” He extended his arm. “Join me?”

          As they stepped through the double doors into the dining room, Mona stopped, her eyes wide in surprise. Before her spread an elegant room with one wall of French windows opening onto a covered terrace to her right. A door in the wall at the far end of the room apparently led to the kitchen while another set of double doors in the wall to her left probably opened to the hall. Down the center of the room stretched a long table dressed in pristine white, ten chairs lined on each side with one at each end, which already held Brad's parents: Trey Conner at the head and Thelma at the foot. A single serving of salad and a place card awaited at each place. A chandelier hung from the ceiling, its light glittering and reflecting from the multiple tiny bulbs and prims.

          “Fabulous isn’t it?” Brad commented. “I’ve been here several times, but I’ve never seen it in its glory like this.”

          Once they found their name cards and Brad held her chair, he introduced her to the middle-aged man who sat on her right side. Jon Key stared before muttering something and turning his attention to his salad. During the meal, he either focused on his food or exchanged a few words with the woman on his right. Odd man, Mona observed to herself as she spread the linen napkin in her lap. Across the table, Adeen finally filled an empty chair before the salad plates were removed.

          As she ate at least a few bites of each course placed in front of her, Mona visited with Brad when he wasn’t hearing the woman on his other side complain about all her ailments and disappointments. As he listened to Mrs. Higgins, she couldn’t help overhearing a few words of their conversations.

          “Has Mrs. Higgins said one thing that wasn’t negative?” Mona asked as Brad turned to her after one of the elderly woman’s monologues.

          Brad’s smile faded a bit. “She has had a very difficult time this past year. If I can help a bit by just listening . . . Well, I’ve been very lucky. That’s the least I can do.”

          Mona’s smile broadened. “You are a very kind man, Brad Conner.”

          “Uh, well, I . . .” For the first time since she met the man, he seemed flustered.

          She smiled to herself as she changed the subject. “What’s planned for after dinner?”

          “A small band will play for dancing on the terrace, and the game room will have tables set up for cards. I’m sure some will decide to swim.” He studied her a moment. “Do you dance?”

          “Yes, but not well.”

          “Would you take a chance and dance with me?”

          Mona in turn studied him a moment. “Yes, I’d like that.”

          Later as Brad held her in his arms and they circled the dance area, Mona shivered. “Cold?” Brad asked. “Do you need a jacket?”

          “No, I just . . . I felt as if someone were staring at me.” She turned her head to look over her shoulder. “But I can’t see anyone.”

          “The gallant thing for me to say is, ‘Of course every man is staring,’ but . . .” Brad grinned. “You’re used to that type of staring.”

          “What?” Mona pulled back slightly. “Why, Brad Conner, are you flirting with me?”

          “Sure. How am I doing?”

          Before Mona could reply, Tammy grabbed her arm. “Mona, Brad, come on, go swimming with us. Adeen and Penny are. Oh, this is Craig.” She nodded her head in the direction of the young man attached to her other hand. “Come on, we’ll have some fun.”

          “I don’t think so, not tonight, Tammy,” Mona answered before looking at Brad. “Please go if you want to.”

          Brad glanced toward Tammy before turning back to Mona to answer, “Maybe some other time.”

          “Okay, but you’ll be missing a good time. Come on, Craig, let’s go.” Tammy pulled the tall man after her for a few feet before he stopped, whispered something in her ear, and, as she hurried toward the doors to the mansion, returned to Brad.

          “Thanks for talking me into coming, Brad. I’m having the time of my life. Man, that Tammy’s crazy.” He paused as if to say something else but just chuckled before turning away to follow the slender red head into the building.

          “Sounds like Tammy at least has found someone to occupy her time,” Mona mused.

          Brad pulled her back into his arms. “I hope not only Tammy.”

          Mona entered her room after midnight to find a tall, dark-haired woman in a black, maid’s uniform standing by the foot of her bed. “Oh! I didn’t know anyone was in here.”

          “Yes, miss, I was just turning down the beds. I’m Lisa, and this is one of my rooms.” The young woman moved to Adeen’s bed and folded the spread back.

          Before Mona could say anything else, the door flew open, and Adeen bounced in to flop on her bed. “Wow! This is the vacation of a lifetime!” She sighed and threw her arms above her head. “I’m having soooo much . . . Oh, I didn’t see you.” She sat up in the middle of the bed. She stared at Lisa and then at Mona. “Did you know you two look like sisters?”

          Mona laughed. “You are always finding people who look like other people, Adeen. This is Lisa. She’s responsible for this room.”

          Adeen yawned as she climbed off the bed and stumbled to the bathroom. “Sorry. Guess I’m sleepy. Glad to meet you, Lisa.” She opened the bathroom door. “Oh, wow, you do a good job of taking care of the room.” She giggled a bit. “I guess I left the bathroom in a mess.”

          “Yes, miss. Have a good night, ladies.” Lisa left the room shaking her head slightly.

          “I think you’re more than she expected for this job, Adeen, but do you mind if I use the bathroom before Hurricane Adeen hits it again?” Mona gathered up her sleep shirt.

          Adeen shrugged. “Sure, I guess you deserve a neat bathroom.”

          When Mona returned to the room, Adeen lay curled up on her own bed, sound asleep. Pulling the spread over her friend, Mona whispered, “Guess you were tired. Goodnight.” She then crawled into bed herself.

          Darkness smothered the room as the two women slept. Mona’s cries and moans awoke Adeen, who moved to her friend’s bedside. “Mona, Mona,” she called as she gently shook the other woman. “Mona wake up. Wake up.”

          “Wha . . . what?” Tears streaked her face as Mona fought her way out of the darkness of her nightmare. She struggled to sit up and wiped the tears with her hands. “I . . . I . . . Oh, Adeen, it was so real.”

          “It’s okay now. I thought you quit having those nightmares.” Adeen handed her friend a tissue from the box on the bedside table.

          “I haven’t . . . had one in years. But it’s the same one. Blood everywhere, fear that strangles me, someone chasing me down a long hall.” She buried her face in her hands. “If I could just remember what I saw, who I saw. Maybe if I could see his face . . . But all I can remember seeing are his hands, strange hands.”

          “Mona, you were just a child. Seeing your parents killed like that . . . well, like the experts told you, your mind couldn’t accept it.”

          “But my mind also won’t let me forget. I . . . I thought I finally had.” Mona blew her nose and sighed. “I don’t understand why I had the nightmare again.”

          Adeen moved back to her bed. “I don’t know; maybe something you saw or heard triggered the memory. But you need to get some sleep now.”

          Sometime before the sun shone through the French doors, Mona finally found deep sleep, then was awaken by the chattering and giggling of her three friends. She opened her eyes and stretched.

          “Oh, sorry,” Penny chirped. “Didn’t mean to wake you.”

         Yes, she chirps like a bird, Mona thought as she covered her yawn.

          “We’re going for a walk and then for a swim in the ocean.” Adeen dropped a bag on her bed. “Go with us.”

          “Uh, last night Brad asked me to go with him this morning,” Mona admitted.

          “Humph,” Penny complained, “you snagged the hunk of the lot!”

          “Believe me, I didn’t try.” Mona swung her legs over the side of the bed. “But he’s not at all what I expected.” No, he’s intelligent, funny, kind . . .

          “Well! if someone had to get him besides me this vacation, glad it was you,” Penny admitted.

          Tammy giggled. “You can’t complain ‘cause you hooked up with Clay.” She giggled again. “We’re all lucky.” Another giggle, this time from Penny.

          “Well, I’m ready. Let’s go, Clay will be waiting. Have fun, Mona,” Adeen grabbed her bag and rushed to the door, where she turned to wave at her roommate for the week. “You really need to have fun.”

          After the chattering, giggling women left with bags in hand, Mona glanced at the clock. “Oh, great, I’d better move. Brad will be here in less than thirty minutes.” She dressed and put her hair up into a pony tail before the knock came. She crossed the floor to open the door and face Brad, who was dressed in walking shorts and a pale blue golf shirt.

          “Want to swim in the ocean this morning?” he asked with a slow smile, his eyes taking in her long, tan legs below her white shorts.

          “Not unless we can avoid my friends.” She smiled back. “I love them dearly, but I’ve heard enough of their giggling for a bit.”

          “Um, well, there’s really just one beach that’s safe for swimming, protected by a coral reef.” He leaned against the door frame, his arms crossed over a wide, muscular chest. “Have you had breakfast?

          “No.” She walked over to the desk, picked up her room key, and placed it in a pocket. “I was lazy this morning.”

          “I haven’t either, so let’s start with something to eat.” His eyes followed her as she walked toward him. “Then, if it’s okay, I’ll give you a guided tour, and maybe we can go to the pool?”

          “Sounds good, but I’m not really hungry. Can we explore and then eat?” Anticipation fluttered briefly as she joined Brad for the morning’s activities.

          After exploring the approximately four mile by sixteen mile island, the couple looked down from a terrace above the swimming beach, where a few people frolicked in the gentle swells or tanned on the white sands. Nearly two miles out from the beach, a coral reef peeked above the waves.

          “The reef stops the rough water and any visiting sharks.” Brad pointed toward the horizon. “Beyond the reef the waves reach heights of fifty feet, but they crash on the coral and come across rather tame.” He lowered his arm and took Mona’s hand in his much larger one. “Ready to try the pool?”

          “Yes,” She answered as they started back toward the mansion. “This place is a great vacation spot. I’m glad I came.”

          “Me, too.” Brad glanced at his watch. “Shall we have lunch first? Or would you rather wait until after we swim?”

          “Well, I am getting hungry. I guess we should have eaten breakfast.” Not that the butterflies would have left room for much.

          “Tell you what, why don’t we get into our suits under our clothes, and then eat? We can go from lunch to the pool, lay around a bit, and then swim.”

          “Hmmm . . . sounds good. Let’s go.” Mona slipped her hand from his and started running down the packed-dirt path.

          “Hey! Not fair!”

          Mona could hear the sounds of his running feet behind her as she sprinted forward, trying to out distance his longer stride. As she broke into the clearing around the mansion, now hotel, Brad grabbed her hand again. “Whoa! You are one fast woman.”

          Mona stopped to look into his face. “Am I? Really? And I thought I was rather strait-laced.”

          Brad closed his eyes a moment before opening them. “I walked right into that, huh?” The two walked up the broad marble steps to the massive doors.

          “But I forgive you.” Mona replied before they continued across the foyer to the staircase and climbed to the second story. When they paused at the door to her room, she added, “I’ll only take a few minutes. Shall I meet you downstairs?”

          “If you don’t mind, I’ll come by, and we can go together.” He raised her hand to his lips as his eyes stayed focused on hers.

          “Uh, sure. I’ll wait until you . . . sure,” she stammered before slipping the key from her pocket. She turned and used the key to open the door. She took two or three steps inside before her mind registered the sight of the woman laying face down in a pool of blood. She froze, her hands covering her mouth and lower face.

          In the hall, Brad watched her enter the room before Penny, Adeen, and Tammy clattered toward him, sandals clicking on the hardwood floor. “Hey, Brad,” Penny greeted him. “Love this place.”

          “It’s great,” Adeen agreed as she passed him to enter the room. “Now we need to change for lunch. I . . .” Her scream rattled through the room and down the hall.

          Brad rushed into the room followed by Penny and Tammy, who took one glance and grabbed each other. His arms circled the still frozen Mona as he gazed on the body spread across the carpet . “Adeen!” he ordered. “Go get Hurberts, now! Penny, Tammy go back into the hall and make sure no one comes in.” He turned Mona so that her face pressed into his shoulder. Her hands grasped the front of his shirt. “It’s okay, Mona. It’s okay.”

          A shudder rippled through her body as a sob broke through her until then paralyzed throat. “Oh, God, no, no, no. Blood, all that blood. Not again, please, not again.” Mona felt as if her mind crawled into a corner somewhere and watched what happened around her. She experienced Brad’s arms holding her, his hand’s soothing touch, but in a way she felt removed.

          Brad looked at the two young women just outside the door, Tammy explaining to the guests who had gathered after hearing the scream, Penny staring at him and Mona. “She, uh, she saw her parents murdered when she was a child,” Penny answered his unanswered question. “She. . . she never could tell anyone what the murderer looked like.”

          “Let’s go, Mona. Let’s leave here, go to my room, or the library, somewhere.” With one hand he soothed her neck, shoulder, and upper back. The other arm held her close.

          “Sir?” Hurberts asked as he entered the room. “What do you . . .” He stopped in mid-sentence and swallowed loudly once he spied Mona in Brad’s arms and then the woman on the floor. “Sir? What . . . Who?”

          “We don’t know, Hurberts. That’s what we found when Miss Anderson opened the door. I think we need some kind of law enforcement here. Probably the closest we have is the captain of the ship and his security people. Will you radio them?” Brad asked the majordomo.

          “I would be glad to, Mr. Conner, but the ship is stranded with some needed repairs in Hawaii. The earliest they can arrive is Saturday.” The older man paused and ran his fingers through his silver hair. “I’m sorry, sir, I don’t know what to do.”

          “Hurberts, I never thought I’d ever hear you admit that you don’t have an answer.” With a sigh, Brad laid his face against Mona head. “We need to get Miss Anderson out of here. Do we have an empty room?”

          The majordomo straightened his narrow shoulders. “Yes, sir, room seventeen, across the hall, is empty. The McCalls didn’t arrive.” He pivoted toward the door before pausing again. “I’ll have Lisa prepare the room.”

          “Thank you, Hurberts. Oh, would you also have Rick Thomas and Craig Johnson join me here?” His eyes squinted as Brad mentally considered the guest list.

          “Of course, sir.” The man marched from the room.

          Penny moved back from the entryway until Hurberts passed. She then stepped back to block the doorway. “Why do you want Rick and Craig?”

          “I trust them completely.”

          “You don’t Clay?” Penny tugged at a curl.

          “Yes, but I need him for something else. In fact, would you go find Clay and ask him to have all the guests and staff gather in the dining room? Tell him the situation, please.” His hand continued rubbing and massaging Mona’s back as her wild sobs and shivers lessened. Her hands still clutched the front of his shirt. “They may as well serve lunch, too.”

          “Mr. Conner?” One of the other maids peeked in the door almost immediately after Penny left to find Clay.

          “Yes, Maria.”

          “Uh, Lisa isn’t here. I mean Mr. Hurberts told me to find her and tell her to get room seventeen ready, but I can’t find her anywhere.” The woman’s eyes glanced everywhere except the mound on the floor.

          Brad frowned, causing the maid to back up. “You can’t find her anywhere?”

          “Uh, no, sir.” She twisted her hands in the small white apron at her waist. “Me and the others looked everywhere she might be a bit earlier.”

          The man blew a whoosh of air through pursed lips. “Where was she supposed to be, or where was she the last anyone knew?”

          “She, uh, she was supposed to clean this room, sir.” The nervous woman’s eyes grew wider. “Oh, no, sir, you think . . .” She nodded toward the body on the floor.

          “Could be, Maria.” He glanced toward the still form. “Yes, it could be. Would you mind preparing the room for Miss Anderson? I need to get her out of here.” He frowned again before adding, “Then would you go join the others in the dining room? I would like to have everyone where we can find them.”

          “Well, sir, Connie and Trevor are working in the room now. They should be ready, if you want to take the lady over there.” She stepped back, bumping into Tammy, who stood listening. “Sorry, miss.”

          “Tammy, will you help Mona across the hall? I don’t think I should leave until . . .” Brad started when Craig and Rick joined Tammy.

          “What ya need, Brad?” Rick asked. “Hurberts just said there was an ‘incident’ and you needed us up here.”

          Brad moved toward the door, his arm holding Mona close to his side. “Yes, I guess you could call murder an ‘incident.’”

          “Murder!” Craig exclaimed. “Who was murdered? Who did it?”

          “First, let me get Mona across the hall to another room. I need you two to make sure no one comes or goes from this room. Be sure and watch the French doors, too. The locks on them are flimsy.” After taking another quick look around the room, Brad escorted a subdued Mona through the door, watched as she never raise her eyes from the floor in front of her feet. He led her into the other room and set her on a bed before kneeling in front of her. “Mona?” She raised her eyes to look at him. “Would you like to lie down?”

          Her body shivered, and her eyes blinked. She pressed her lips tightly together before sighing. She reached out and touched the side of his face with trembling fingers. “No, no, I’m going to be okay. It’s just . . .” Another sigh escaped. “The shock of seeing . . . just brought back . . . I’m sorry I went to pieces like that.”

          “You’re sorry? You don’t need to be sorry. I’m shaking like an earthquake, and I don’t have memories like yours.” He gently wiped a tear from her cheek. “You’re one brave woman, Mona.”

          “I wish. Anyway, do you think that poor . . .” She gulped. “Is that Lisa?”

          “I think so.” Brad moved to sit beside her.

          “But she isn’t in her uniform.” Mona tilted her head and frowned. “In fact, she looked like she was wearing . . .” Her eyes widened. “She had on the dress I wore last night!”

          Frowning himself, Brad asked, “Are you sure? I mean, you didn’t have time really to . . .”

          Mona interrupted him. “I stood there staring at her for what seems like hours. I can tell you everything, every detail about her lying there. She was wearing my dress or one just like it.”

          “I wish we had access to some law enforcement of some kind.” Brad murmured as he rubbed his hands over his face.

          “We do,” Tammy announced from where she stood just inside the door. “There’s a homicide detective and his wife here on their honeymoon. I think she’s some kind of lawyer or something. Anyway, could he help?”

          Brad bounded to his feet. “Yes! What’s his name? We need to find him quickly.”

          “Well, his name is, uh. . .” Tammy paused as she tried to remember. “It’s Rogers, uh, Martin Rogers, and hers is Lisa, like the maid’s. Strange, huh?”

          “We need to find him,” Brad repeated. He looked down at Mona. “Will you be okay? I need to use Tammy and the others to find this Martin Rogers, and at least one of the guys needs to watch the, uh, other room.”

          Mona rose to her feet. “I can help look for this policeman.” She turned to her friend. “What does he look like? What does she look like? We might find her first.”

          “He’s a rather big man, about Brad’s size. He has brown hair, kinda light colored eyes, muscular, like Brad. She’s really pretty, tall, too, but shorter than him. She has dark hair, and she’s slender but has everything where she needs it.” Tammy giggled. “Oh, and he uses a cane.”

          “And you waited until the last to mention . . . Well, that should help narrow the search.” Mona shrugged. “Oh, well, let’s start.”

          Tammy whirled to leave the room and ran into a man who raised his hand, ready to knock on the door frame. The man staggered backwards before regaining his balance. “Oh, I’m so sorry,” Tammy apologized before giggling. “Look, guys, look what I found.”

          Brad and Mona joined Tammy as she pointed at the man with the cane. Martin blew a soundless whistle before looking at Brad. “I heard there was trouble. I thought I might be able to help. I’m Martin Rogers.” He nodded toward the woman beside him. “This is my wife,” a grin spread across his face as she beamed back at him, “Lisa, who is an assistant D.A.”

          “I’m glad to meet you. We were just going to find you when Tammy, uh, guess you found each other.” Brad extended his right hand, and the men shook hands. “The murder occurred across the hall in Mona’s room. In fact she found the body first.” He wrapped his arm around her waist as he led Mona back toward the still open door blocked by Craig and Rick, who glanced over his shoulder before facing the inside of the room again. “No one has been inside except for us, and Mona and I were farther inside, but only a few steps past the door.”

          “Good. But I’m surprised the hall isn’t flooded with people.” Martin gazed between the guards and into the room.

          “I asked that everyone go to the dining room. Hopefully they are eating and not planning a revolt.” Brad’s mouth quirked into a half smile.

          “Good idea. We had just returned from the beach when a Mr. Key informed us that there was a problem up here.” Martin stepped back to face his wife. “Lisa, would you go get your instant camera? I think we’ll need it to take photos before anything is moved.” As his wife moved down the hall to their room, Martin asked Brad, “Is there a doctor here on the island?”

          “Actually, yes. We have one on staff in case of emergencies. Craig, would you go find Chef Morris, then return here?” Brad asked.

          “Chef?” repeated Mona but as a question.

          Brad chuckled. “Yes, his passion is cooking.”

          “Do you have a tablet or notebook I could use?” Martin asked. “I’m hardly prepared for taking notes. Thought I was on a honeymoon.”

          “I’ll get one from a room. Every one has a tablet and pen.” Brad tread into the room across the hall, took the paper and pen from the desk, and returned to hand the items to Martin.

          “Thanks,” the detective replied. “Now, if these two gentlemen will continue to guard the room, I’d appreciate it. After we take notes and pictures and examine the room thoroughly, guards won’t be as necessary.” His smile lessened the gravity of his face when Lisa rejoined him, camera in hand.

          “I think we forgot something, sweetheart,” she stated. “We need some gloves and plastic bags.”

          “I can get those from the kitchen.” Tammy was half-way to the stairs before she finished talking.

          “We can take pictures while we wait, but we won’t touch a thing.” Lisa started toward the crime room.

          “While you two do that, why don’t we go join the others?” Brad suggested. “Craig, you and Rick should take turns going down for lunch, if you haven’t eaten. Mr. and Mrs. Rogers, would you rather wait until you’re finished here?”

          Martin answered after winking at Lisa, “Make it Martin and Lisa, please, and we had a late breakfast, so we’re fine. One thing, we’ll want to talk with all the staff and guests when we finish.” He studied Mona’s pale face. “When you feel up to it, I really need to hear your story before I speak with anyone else.”

          “I’ll be ready any time you are. I’ll be in the dining room.” Mona wanly smiled before heading toward the stairs, where she met Tammy hurrying upward with a small box full of other boxes.

          “Hi, Mona. You doing better?” Tammy asked as she paused at the top of the stairs.

          “I’m okay. Thanks. I’m going to the dining room with everyone else. Guess I’ll see you there.” Mona laid her hand briefly on her friend’s arm before continuing down the stairs.

          When Mona reached the dining room, she stared in surprise. Rather than the long table down the middle of the room, round tables dotted the room and buffet serving counters lined the wall beside the door to the kitchen area. She felt Brad’s hand touch her shoulder.

          “Quite a difference from last night, huh?” He whispered near her ear. “Now let’s try to eat while we wait.”

          Mona scanned his face, noting the concern in his eyes, before answering, “I don’t know that I could eat. I mean, my stomach’s not acting very nice as it is.”

          “You haven’t had anything all day. Maybe something soothing, a cup of light soup and some tea or something.” He guided her to a seat at an empty table.

          With a sigh, Mona replied, “You’re probably right. But would there be any soup on the buffet? And maybe some hot tea? I feel so cold.”

          “I know there will be chicken noodle soup, clam chowder, and at least one other soup. If you would rather have another kind, the kitchen can fix it.”

          “I . . . I think chicken noodle would be fine.” She folded her arms on the table and pressed her forehead on top. “I’m so cold.”

          She felt his hand brush the back of her neck. “I’ll be right back.”

          “Mona? Are you okay?” Penny asked as she took an empty chair beside her apartment mate.

          Mona raised her head to find Penny’s dark brown eyes searching her face. “I’ve been better, but I’ll be all right.”

          “You’re so white.” Penny touched Mona’s cheek. “And you’re clammy. Maybe you should go lie down.”

          “Brad went to get some soup and hot tea. That may help.” She laid her head back on her arms. “I really feel strange.”

          “I would bring it up to your room, uh, new room.” Penny stammered.

          “No, I need to talk to the detective.”

          “Here. A bowl of soup and the makings for hot tea.” Brad set a small tray on the table. “Please, start your soup, while I make the tea.” He placed a tea bag in a large mug before pouring hot water from a small metal pitcher into the mug. Then he lifted a plate with a sandwich and a glass of tea off the tray and took the empty chair on the other side of Mona from Penny.

          Sitting upright, Mona moved the bowl closer to her and dipped the spoon into the broth and noodles. After a few spoonfuls, she laid the spoon on the table. “Thanks. I think that helps.” She took the mug of tea and held it between her hands. “Oh, it’s warm.”

          Penny pushed the sugar bowl closer to her friend. “Here, use plenty. I think you need it.”

          “Thanks.” She added two small scoops of sugar. She stirred the sweet liquid before sipping. “Umm. . . good.”

          The three sat quietly as Mona sipped tea and a few more spoons of soup, and Brad ate the sandwich. Penny finally broke the silence, “Now what happens?”

          “I’m not sure,” Brad answered. “I know that Martin wants to talk to everyone.” He drank from his glass, then wiped his mouth with a napkin. “I guess I should start organizing things.” He touched Mona’s hand. “Are you going to be okay?”

          She smiled a more natural smile. “I’m better. I’ll be fine. You take care of what you need to. And if you need any help, let us know.”

          “I’ll be back.” He bent to place a kiss on her cheek before leaving the table.

          “Oh, my,” Penny sighed. “So that’s how things are, huh?”

          Mona laughed slightly. “I’m not sure how things are, Penny. But I know I really like him.”

          “Mona, don’t turn around yet, but in a minute move so that you can see the table over by the doors to the library. There’s a man who keeps staring over here. I don’t know him.” Penny put the dishes from the table on the tray as she talked.

          After a second, Mona dropped her napkin on the floor. Rather than bending from the chair to pick it up, she slid off the chair and knelt. As she stood, she moved the chair allowing her to glance toward the man Penny mentioned. As her eyes met those of Jon Key, the man literally jumped from his chair and bolted into the library.

          “How strange. He seemed surprised to see me.” Mona sat back in her chair. “That’s Mr. Key. He was on one side of me at dinner last night, ignored me the whole time.”

          Nearly three hours passed before Brad returned. “Martin and Lisa are set up in the small parlor. Are you ready to talk to him, Mona?”

          “Yes, as ready as possible, I guess.” She stood and wiped her hands on the legs of her shorts. “I guess,” she repeated.

          “I’ve asked if Penny, Tammy, Adeen and I can be among the next people he questions, and Martin thought that would be a good idea.” He grinned, more like a small grimace, before asking Penny, “Do you have any idea where Tammy and Adeen might be?”

          “Not off hand, but I’ll find them. The last I saw, Tammy was heading upstairs with some things for Mr. and Mrs. Rogers.”

          “That’s right. If you find them, and Clay, have them wait here if you would.” He took Mona’s hand. “Let’s go.” He stopped after a couple of steps and looked back at Penny. “Where is Clay? I thought he would be with you.”

          “He is guarding the kitchen. I guess someone took one of the fillet knives, and the chef wanted someone to keep an eye on the place while he traded hats and became a doctor again.” Penny shrugged. “Guess the doctor hasn’t become a chef again.”

          “Okay, I’ll find someone to take over for Clay.” He continued to the door to the hall. “Great, now a knife is missing.”

          When the couple entered a room across the hall from the dining room, they found Martin in an armchair with a low table in front of him, a pad and pen on its top. Lisa sat on a sofa at a right angle to his chair, a pad of paper on her lap.

          “Come in and get comfortable,” Martin suggested. “Sit on the sofa beside Lisa or in any of the chairs.” He waved a hand toward three other armchairs grouped in a semicircle facing him.

          Mona sat in the chair closest to the sofa. “I’ll sit here, if it’s all right.”

          “That’s just fine.” The detective addressed Brad. “Would you like to stay and give your statement, too?”

          “Uh, yes, if that’s okay.” Brad sat in the chair next to Mona’s. “I just thought you would want to talk to everyone separately.”

          “You were there together, and one may remember something the other doesn’t.” Martin smiled. “And considering you neither one were in the house when the poor woman was killed . . .”

          “Yes, and several staff members saw you leave and saw her after you left,” Lisa added.

          Martin picked up the pen. “All right, Mona. Uh, is it okay if I call you Mona, or would you prefer Miss Anderson?”

          “Mona is fine.” She couldn’t help but answer his smile.

          “Good. Mona, why don’t you start from the time you opened the door to your room. Try to remember every move, detail, impression you can.” Martin wrote a brief message on the pad in front of him. “Uh, Brad, do you know if there is a tape recorder around here, and some empty tapes?”

          “Actually, yes, over there in that desk.” Brad pointed to a desk across the room. “I plan to use this room for my office when I’m here.” He stood, strode to the desk, opened a drawer, and removed a small recorder and a package of new tapes. He returned to the grouping of chairs and sofa, lying the recorder and tapes on the small table before sitting in the chair again.

          “Thanks. This will be easier.” As Martin continued talking, he opened the package and removed a tape, wrote something on the label, and placed the tape in the recorder. “Now all I need write are questions and impressions.” As soon as he started the recorder, he nodded. “Now we’re ready. This recording is of Mona Anderson and Brad Conner.” He then gave the date and time. “Mona, will you give us an account of the time from when you opened the door to your room until you left it?”

          The young woman took a deep breath. “I unlocked and opened the door. I took maybe three steps inside the room when I saw a woman’s body and the blood.” She covered her face with her hands. “There was so much blood. I couldn’t move. I couldn’t make a sound. All I could do was stand there and stare.”

          Brad scooted his chair closer to hers and laid his hand on her shoulder.

          Mona continued. “I couldn’t see her face. Her black hair covered the side of her face that wasn’t against the carpet. Blood spread out from under her, spreading under her arms that were out stretched and upward, spread under her head, spread to below her waist. I could see she was wearing one of my dresses, or one just like it, but she was barefooted. Her feet showed. The bottoms were dirty.” A shudder inside her escaped and shook her body. “The blood, there was so much blood. Then Brad came and held me. I didn’t have to look any more.” She lowered her hands to grasp the arms of the chair. As she looked at her hands, another memory evolved. “Her hand, her right hand was in a fist.”

          “You remembered a lot of details, Mona. That will help.” Martin leaned forward. “You say she had on your dress?”

          “Or one just like it. I wore mine last night, but I haven’t had a chance to look in my closet.” She swallowed the panic that threatened to overcome her. She closed her eyes and breathed deeply.

          Brad covered her hand, and she turned hers over to cling to his. He squeezed gently before telling Martin, “One of the closets was open.”

          Lisa spoke for the first time since Mona started her story. “You said her feet were bare and that they were dirty? Isn’t that strange that they were dirty in a place as clean as the mansion seems?”

          Mona opened her eyes. “Yes, they were, not muddy but like she walked through dust. That was odd. But if she had gone on the terrace, or . . .”

          When she paused, Lisa asked, “What did you just think?”

          “When I put my empty bags in the closet, the floor was dusty.” Mona turned toward the other woman. “Maybe she went into the closet and got her feet dirty there.”

          When someone knocked on the door, Martin called, “Come in.”

          A small, slender man with thinning, wispy hair hustled in. “Okay, I know how she died. A thin slice through her neck nearly decapitated her.”

          Everyone’s attention turned to Mona when she gasped. “Garrotted. Like my parents.”

          “Yes, garrotted, but who ever did it had to have something mighty thin and strong, and he had to be powerful to pull it that far through.” The man perched on the sofa next to Lisa. “I’m Dr. Morris.”

          “I’m . . . I’m confused,” Mona stammered. “A chef that’s a doctor?”

          The doctor’s laughed boomed through the room. “Very funny.” He laughed again. “I, uh, I won’t get to be a chef after this trip. Sh . . . Uh, excuse me. This murder just ruined the chance of a lifetime for me.”

          After a brief chuckle, Brad explained, “Derrick always enjoyed cooking, and since he signed on as the medical person for the resort, he begged to be the chef this first trip. We thought it would be a fine since we’d only have a few guests.” He shook his head. “If we had only known.”

          “We need a way to keep the body until we can get it to some place for an official autopsy,” Martin observed.

          “No problem,” the doctor replied. “We have a full medical set up in one of the ‘cottages’ on the grounds, including a refrigerated drawer. Brad’s friends helped me get the poor woman out there.”

          “You expected someone to die?” Lisa asked.

          “Uh, well, we’re a long way from any help, and people do have accidents and heart attacks. We thought that would be a possibility.” The doctor bounded to his feet. “Anyway, Mr. Conner has radioed for the helicopter to come pick up the body.”

          Martin glanced at Brad. “Mr. Conner?”

          “My dad. He’s also trying to get some more ‘official’ type help. You know in case we need to arrest someone or something.” Brad ran fingers through his hair. “He’s trying to find out under whose jurisdiction the island falls.”

          “I think our most important task now is to keep Mona alive,” Martin announced softly.

          “What?” Mona slid forward in her chair. “Why . . . I mean, what do you mean? Why would anyone want to . . . to . . .”

          “Because your parents where killed just as this woman was, a woman who resembles you and wore your dress when she was killed.” Martin stood and moved to the door, throwing it open. Mr. Key stumbled forward into the room.

          “I’m, uh, sorry. I started to knock,” the man murmured.

          “By holding your ear to the door?” Martin grabbed the man’s arm, dragging him to a chair.

          “Hey, no need to be so rough!” Mr. Key protested.

          “Just sit there until we decide what to do with you.” Martin returned to his chair. “Brad, do you know of any way we can lock people in?”

          “Lock in? Now wait a minute,” the older man sputtered.

          “Yes, my great uncle covered all possibilities. He had a jail type building built. It’s out by the infirmary.” Brad rose to his feet. “I’ll see if I can find someone to take Mr. Key to his new quarters.”

          “Just a minute, you can’t do that to me. I’ll sue!” Mr. Key jumped to his feet. “I have rights.”

          “Actually, sir, you really don’t. You signed a contract to come here, agreeing to abide by my family’s ‘rules.’ This is a murder investigation that you eavesdropped on.”

          “No need to find anyone else. I need to get back to the infirmary, and I’ll lock him in.” The doctor walked toward Mr. Key. “You’re really lucky. The ‘jail’ is quite comfortable.”

          “You can’t force me to go anywhere.” Mr. Key pushed by the doctor and ran out the door.

          “Want me to go after him?” Doctor Morris asked.

          “No, he’s not going far, not on an island. Strange man, though,” Martin replied. “Now, where were we?”

          “I was leaving to check things in the infirmary,” the doctor answered on his way out of the room, giving a brief wave before he closed the door behind him.

          Brad sat back in the chair next to Mona and slipped his arm around her shoulders. “You shocked us by saying someone is trying to kill Mona. Since you think she’s in danger, I’ll make sure she’s safe.”

          “I don’t understand why anyone would want to kill me.” Mona frowned at Martin before her eyes opened wide. “Oh, no.”

          “Oh, no, what?” Lisa asked.

          “I saw my parents murdered, but . . . but I was just nine-years old. I had nightmares but never could see the face of the murderer, just his hands.” Mona covered her face. “I couldn’t remember what he looked like, even when he chased me in my dreams.” She brought her hands down to clasp them in her lap. “I had another one of the nightmares last night, the first time in years.” She sighed. “Something triggered it, and if the killer is here, he may be afraid I will recognize him.”

          “Are you sure you can’t?” Martin asked. “Maybe your subconscious mind did.”

          When Brad gathered one of her hands in his, she slightly smiled before replying, “The therapists from years ago kept saying that I might remember some day, but . . .” Mona brushed her free hand over her eyes.

          “Mona, did you notice anyone reacting strangely when he or she saw you after the murder?” Lisa asked.

          “That Mr. Key, but he acted odd last night at dinner.”

          “Odd in what way?” the assistant district attorney continued questioning.

          “When Brad introduced us, the man stared at me and then ignored me the rest of the meal.” Mona shivered. “But he’s so thin. How could he . . .”

          A click signaled the end of the tape in the recorder. Martin flipped the tape over and restarted the recorder. “Mr. Key had large hands, and many thin people have more strength, especially in their hands, than realized.” Martin tapped his pen tip on the tablet. “He didn’t seemed surprised to see you when he ‘fell’ in here, though.”

          After a quick, “Huh,” Mona added, “No, he stared enough at me in the dining room.”

          Before anything else could be said, Penny burst through the door. “Clay found something in the pantry he thinks you should see!”

          Everyone jumped up. “What?” Brad asked. “Did you see what it was?”

          “No,” Penny answered, “he told me to run get you.”

          “Brad, do you have any guns around here?” Martin asked as he rounded the table with the tape recorder still spinning.

          “My great uncle liked target practicing, and I don’t think his guns were removed.” Brad walked to the desk, opened a drawer, and removed a key from the very back. He then went to a solid door in the shelves lining the walls and opened it. Inside shotguns, rifles, and revolvers rested in a display case. “What do you want?” He asked as he removed a revolver and a box of bullets.

          Martin chose a revolver, too, and started loading it. Lisa looked at the array and suggested, “Why don’t I take a shotgun? I know I can hit something with that.”

          As the three at the gun case loaded their guns, Penny clasped her friend’s hands. “How are you doing? You’re so pale! Maybe you can lie down for a bit?”

          With a soft laugh, Mona answered, “I’ve been in the dinning room or here for hours. No rest allowed. You seem to be back to your regular exclamation-type self, though.”

          “Mona, I would like for you and your friend to go with Lisa to our suite. No one except Brad, Craig, Rick, Clay, or I allowed in. Do you understand?”

          “Yes, I understand.” She looked down at her dirty shorts. “Is there anyway I can get some of my clothes so I can clean up?”

          Lisa cleared her throat as she joined them. “We’re about the same size, Mona. Why don’t you borrow something from me?” She hiked the shotgun under one arm. “Let’s get out of here. I think you could use some rest, too.”

          Martin gave her a brief kiss before turning toward the door. “Some honeymoon.”

*****

          When Mona awoke, the strange room and dimness confused her until the events of the day returned. She sat up in the bed and looked around. On a sofa by the windows, Penny lay asleep. In an armchair by the door from the bedroom to the sitting room, Lisa sat with the shotgun across her lap, her head leaning against the back of the chair.

          Without turning her head, Lisa asked, “Feel a little better?’

          “Yes, a bit.” Mona yawned and stretched. “Have you heard anything?”

          “Brad came about an hour ago.” She turned to look at Mona. “He left Clay here with us, in the other room.”

          Mona swung her legs over the edge of the bed, pausing when she spied the unfamiliar slacks. “Oh, yes, Lisa’s,” she muttered. “So what’s happened?”

          “Let’s go into the sitting room and send Clay for some dinner. While he’s doing that, I’ll let you know what I know.” Lisa stood, set the gun barrel downward against the wall, and moved the chair back into place. Then she picked the gun back up and moved into the next room.

          Clay rose from the chair beside the door. “Everything okay, Lisa? Oh, hi, Mona. I hope you rested well.”

          “I guess so. I never knew anyone came or went.” Mona curled into the corner of a sofa before reaching up to turn on the lamp on the table beside it.

          “Clay, would you mind going to the kitchen and seeing what you can . . .” A knock on the door interrupted Lisa. She stepped to the door and asked, “Yes, who’s there?”

          “It’s Brad. I’ve brought some sandwich stuff.”

          Lisa kept the gun ready as Clay opened the door. Brad entered, pushing a cart with covered platters and bottles of soft drinks and water and followed by Martin. “Hope sandwiches will be okay.”

          “Sandwiches, anything will be great!” Penny announced from the bedroom door. “Wow! I slept! I never sleep during the day!”

          Soon everyone had a plate of sandwiches, potato salad, and chips. Each chose a drink. Surprised at how hungry she was, Mona wolfed down her food.

          “We really should let Clay tell about his find,” Brad suggested.

          “No, please, go ahead.” Clay ducked his head as if studying his food.

          Martin took a bite and drink before explaining, “Clay found some bloody latex gloves and a blood stained white jacket that the kitchen staff wear. Which means the murderer had to have access to the kitchen.”

          “Would Mr. Key have access?” Penny asked.

          “Actually, he did. He made ‘friends’ with one of the cooks while on the ship. He has visited her a couple of times already.” Brad shook his head. “I’m amazed at how many people have been in and out of the kitchen in the short time we’ve been here.”

          Lisa inserted, “That’s the problem, the number of suspects possible. But only Key has shown so much interest.”

          “Uh, Hurberts has, too,” Clay offered quietly.

          “Hurberts?” Brad asked. “I’ve not even noticed him around.”

          “You’re used to him being close by. He keeps asking Rick, Craig, and me questions, though. Wants to know what’s been found, all that.”

          “And what have you told him?” Martin laid his sandwich down.

          “Nothing. We didn’t even tell him about what I found.” Clay looked up to meet the detective’s eyes. “We know that no one should be told anything, not by us.”

          “Hmmm . . . Well, wouldn’t he be interested since one of ‘his’ people was killed?” Penny offered.

          “Possibly.” Martin picked up his sandwich and continued eating. After he chewed and swallowed, he admitted, “I haven’t talked to Hurberts yet. I need to do that. If nothing else, the man is in a position to hear things that I can’t.”

          The conversation died as the group finished their meal. Mona had eaten the last of her salad and placed the fork on the plate when another knock sounded. Brad waved Martin back as he answered the door to find Hurberts with another cart.

          “I thought you and your friends might care for dessert, sir,” the majordomo said as he pushed the cart into the room. “I brought a variety of items so each can choose.”

          “I’m glad you’re here, Hurberts,” Martin told the man. “I haven’t had a chance to talk to you.”

          “Of course, yes, sir, if you wish,” Hurberts answered. “Maybe I should take the dishes and remains of your meal on back to the kitchen first.”

          “No, that’s fine, Hurberts. I’ll take care of that when everyone finishes.” Brad gathered up the empty plates, glasses, and bottles, placing them on the cart with the remainder of the sandwiches and salad. “You visit with Detective Rogers.”

          “Yes, sir.” Hurberts stood stiffly next to the door. “What can I tell you, detective?”

          “When did you first know that the maid was missing?” Martin never looked at the man by the door, but studied a slice of chocolate cake.

          “Not until after her body was found, sir.”

          “Uh-huh. Did you recognize the body as hers when you saw it?” The detective closed his eyes as he ate the first bit of cake. “Ummm . . . this is really good.”

          “No, sir. Not at first. Only when I knew Lisa was missing did I make the connection.” The majordomo stared straight ahead.

          “Some people have noted that Miss Anderson and the maid resembled each other. Did you notice that?”

          “Not until afterwards, sir.”

          “What have you picked up as you’ve listened to others talk?” Martin looked up to stare at the older man.

          Hurberts swung his head to meet Martin’s eyes, his own eyes widened. “I don’t know what you mean, sir. I don’t try to eavesdrop.”

          “I’m sure you don’t, Hurberts, but you can’t but overhear at times, and you’re always where people are gathered. If you have heard something that would help . . .” Martin paused, one eyebrow quirked.

          Hurberts visibly relaxed. “Oh, I see what you mean, sir. Yes, I have heard many guests and staff discussing the crime, but I don’t know if anything is important.”

          “Why don’t you just tell us what some of those things are, and then I can decide what’s important and what isn’t.” Martin smiled.

          As Hurberts repeated different comments he overhead, Mona studied his hands. First he had held them behind his back, as he usually did, but as he relaxed and started sharing bits and pieces of conversations, he gestured with them. His hands, what is it about his hands? she wondered over and over. They are very large for his size, but the fingers. . . She continued to watch his hands, trying to focus and discover what bothered her. His fingers look almost scarred. No, not scarred exactly.

          She leaned over and whispered to Brad, “What’s wrong with Hurbert’s fingers?”

          Brad murmured back, “Other than being callused, nothing that I know, why?”

          “Strange calluses. How does a butler develop calluses?”

          “I never thought of that. I’ll find out.” Brad took her hand in his just as what Hurberts said registered. His eyes met Martin’s across the room.

          “Just one minute, Hurberts. What did you just say about what was found in the kitchen area?” Martin asked.

          “Uh,” Hurberts stumbled, “I, uh, I’m not sure . . .”

          “I think you are sure. Please just repeat what you said, or would you rather I play it back?” Martin brought the tape recorder from his pocket.

          “I just said that someone mentioned that some bloody things had been found in the pantry.” Hurberts blustered.

          “And just who said that?” Martin placed his dessert plate on the table next to his chair.

          Hurberts paused and looked around the room, fidgeting under all the eyes staring at him. “I . . . I’m not sure, sir.” His hands once more clasped behind him.

          Mona groaned as her mind opened and the memory burst full blown into her consciousness. “Oh, dear God, he’s the one,” she murmured.

          Hurberts leaped across the room, grabbed her arm, and yanked her in front of him, jabbing a thin knife at her throat. “Stay back. I knew she would remember. I just knew.” He pulled her with him toward the door. Once there though, he couldn’t turn the knob with one hand holding Mona and the other with the knife. “Open the door, bitch,” he snarled, turning her slightly toward the door, keeping her between himself and Martin.

          With one smooth, almost soundless, move, Brad left his seat and tackled the butler. The younger man latched onto the wrist above the knife with a death grip. Martin wrapped his arms around Mona and whirled her away from the tangle on the floor. Passing the sobbing woman to his wife, Martin drew the gun from his belt just as Brad squeezed the wrist in his hand until something cracked. Hurberts screamed and lay holding his wrist and moaning as Brad climbed to his feet.

          “It . . . it was Hurberts?” Penny exclaimed as she clung to Clay’s arm. “But . . . but . . . I thought it was Key!”

******

          The next morning Mona stood beside the helicopter pad watching the aircraft with Hurberts inside, policemen from Hawaii guarding him. From behind her, Brad wrapped both his arms around her waist. “I never heard Hurberts talk so much in all the years I’ve known him. I still find it hard to believe he killed anyone, but over a dozen people, unbelievable.”

          “But why did Mr. Key act so strange?” Adeen asked somewhere behind Mona and Brad.

          Brad looked over his shoulder to find Adeen and Rick standing beside the detective and his wife, all watching the helicopter leave. Martin laughed before answering, “Mona looked so much like his dead wife that he was afraid she had come back to haunt him.”

          Brad turned to gaze at the helicopter as it hovered and then flew away. “Glad to see him gone?”

          “For more than one reason.” She pivoted in his arms to face him. “I don’t remember thanking you for saving me last night.”

          “I’ve always wanted to save a fair lady.” He grinned. “Besides, yes, you did thank me.”

          “Not really thank you, or I would remember, I’m sure.” She slid her arms around his neck and, stretching up on her toes, placed her lips against his. His arms tightened as he accepted her thank-you kiss.
© Copyright 2004 Vivian (vzabel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/881689-Deserted-Hideaway