*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/885992-Stolen-By-Frances
Rated: ASR · Poetry · Nature · #885992
Mother nature changes my vacation plans
Scenes of the beach danced in our minds
T ogether with friends and glasses of wine
Our Labor Day plans were about to change
Learning of Frances and her eye wall range
Exit the ocean with its waves of fun
No last minute tan in the Florida sun.

Because of the winds and weather gone rotten
Yesterday’s beach plans were soon forgotten.

Floridians packed their pictures and pets.
Residents left to avoid getting wet.
And in my dry home I watched T.V.
Numerous prayers for the sheltered, I breathed.
Captured by weatherman Jim Cantore
Eyes glued to his continuous story.
Swept by the winds of Frances’ fury.

Our Labor Day plans included several families of friends caravanning south to converge on the sands of Mexico Beach—gulf side of Florida. My husband and I opted to leave the kids at home, our marriage desperate for an ‘all about us’ break.

I never regretted our decision to stay home. It seemed too silly to enter Florida while over two million others were exiting it. Instead, we planned a day trip to Atlanta on Friday, and the rest of the weekend would be spent preparing for the flood warnings which were forecasted.

Traveling north along Georgia’s I-75, it was an eerie feeling being surrounded by so many Florida tags. I was moved to tears as I witnessed the mass exodus of residents fleeing for their lives; cars packed with belongings and pets. Maybe my vacation was cancelled, but I had my home, safe, dry and standing, holding my two children and husband, all seven of my parrots, four of my Dobermans and two of my cats. An enormous amount of gratitude saturated my heart.

Now, as I type these words, rain and strong winds surround my home. Flood warnings and tornado watches are broadcasted on the weather channel. My prayers continue to go out to all of those negatively impacted by Frances.
© Copyright 2004 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/885992-Stolen-By-Frances