*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/889072-Nobodys-Place-Crystals-Tears
by Mitch
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Entertainment · #889072
Another night with Joe at Nobody's Place but Joe was thinking of a sadder time.
         It was another night at Nobody's place and Joe stood behind the bar, Heineken in hand, listening to Crystal sing while Bo did the same from his spot at the door. Crystal was center stage belting out Melissa Etheridge's "Occasionally" which happens to be the first song Joe ever heard her sing. He had thought at the time that Crystal was destined for greatness, but now she was singing with a sadness in her voice that only those close to her could detect. Joe thought back a few years.

         Six months after hiring Crystal, back when Nobody's Place first opened, Joe went out and found a sponsor. This was needed to raise money for a high stakes Karaoke contest. Crystal was given the night off so she could compete in the contest and a local radio DJ was hired to host it. First prize included $2500.00 and a free, professional demo tape.

         On the night of the big contest Crystal's wavy, blond hair shone and her bright blue eyes glowed. She wore a stunning blue cocktail dress to match her eyes and looked ready for a beauty pageant instead of a singing contest. The competition should have been fierce considering the stakes but Crystal hit every note perfectly every time she performed. Country music, power ballads, bar standards and more, she simply dazzled the judges and walked away as the obvious winner. She smiled as Joe toasted her success, despite knowing he was about to lose a valued member of his staff.

         The demo tapes were sent to the local radio stations and, with the help of the DJ who had hosted the contest, were soon playing repeatedly on most Albany radios. Shortly after that she signed a studio contract to begin her professional career.

         Crystal disappeared in a whirlwind and was soon recording her first album. On the night before the scheduled album release she was coming back to Albany for her first concert. It wasn't part of a tour, nor even a show at a major arena, but it did sell out as her popularity in Albany, where she had started, existed as strongly as ever. As Joe, and especially Bo, waited for her to arrive in the bar that night word came of a plane crash.

         The small plane Crystal was on went down around New Paltz, NY and the news spoke of survivors. Joe closed the bar so he and Bo could drive down. It was a ninety minute drive that Joe made in less than an hour. The trip was silent as nothing but fear swirled through their minds. A stop at the local police station told them where to find the hospital and upon their arrival an Airline official advised that Crystal had needed surgery but would survive.

         At last, they knew she was alive. Joe took a breath, deeply relieved, and saw Bo start to sway. He helped Bo sit so the big man could catch his breath, and regain his composure, then they began the long wait until they could see Crystal.

         The following morning, after many cups of coffee, they were finally allowed to see her. At first glance Crystal simply looked like she had been in a bar fight, sporting two black eyes and a bandage over her nose. When she looked at them Joe could see her blue eyes ringed with sadness and knew whatever had happened, the world had changed for the worst. Bo took one look and finally broke down, sobbing. Seeing the big man like that brought tears to even the nurse's eyes as no man that big should ever be seen in that state. It just looks wrong. When the crying was finished, they all began to speak at last.

         Crystal's nose had been shattered. That alone could easily effect her singing voice, but far worse was the removal of a lung that had been damaged beyond repair. Her voice would never be the same.

         After months of recuperation, Crystal finally celebrated the success of her album, but remained saddened that it would be her only one. She still had her beautiful voice but the power and stamina were gone. She would not record again and would never go on that big tour. It was a very bitter sweet time as she was grateful to be alive and comforted by the knowledge that she would have been a star, but still, her dream had been shattered by a single lightning bolt and she would always have to remember that.

         Joe sipped his Heineken slowly reflecting on the sadness of it all. Bo, at the door, met his eyes, and Joe could see a few tears. They both smiled as Bo wiped them with a sleeve. It was another night at Nobody's Place and in that bar, Crystal was always the star.
© Copyright 2004 Mitch (maposner at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/889072-Nobodys-Place-Crystals-Tears