*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/889423-Hurricane-aftermath
by Dave L
Rated: E · Article · Action/Adventure · #889423
A different view of a hurricanes' aftermath.
We all have stories from grandparents, parents, and ourselves. Most stories start with the phrase: “When I was a boy/girl in school” or “I remember where I was when”.

As I read stories, see photos, and watch news stories of Hurricane Frances, I’m struck by the revelation that 10-20 years from now, the ones who are kids today will be saying, “I remember Hurricane Frances. I was able to canoe down my street. I camped and showered outside because I had to. I had NO electronic toys for 2 weeks.” (It was only 3 days, but years produce exaggeration.

It is hoped that some of the kids without their cable, satellite, computer, x-box, walk-man, cell-phone or other electronic toy will realize they can have fun without all the technology. Who knows, they may discover board games and face-to-face conversations. Some people may actually cut off the cable and start using the net at the library. With this down time, some may discover talents they never knew they had. They may develop their writing skills and start writing a story or novel. They may see a need and invent something no ever has. All because Hurricane Frances changed the circumstances for 2 weeks. (2 weeks for some, 2-3 days for most.)

For the kids, these are the days of their lives. So remember, what is or can be a tragedy for one who is older can be an adventure and a new area of discovery and memories for the kids.
© Copyright 2004 Dave L (lommapr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/889423-Hurricane-aftermath