*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/896530-The-Armor-of-God
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Other · #896530
Bible study II
Two Steps To Surviving Satanic Attacks

Step One:

Identify the enemy lest you fall for his deceptions, lies and maneuverings in your circumstances.

Satan is a live enemy, fighting the people of God (us!) everyday and in every little way. This became clear to me once more when I was trying to reach my self-set deadline for posting this Bible study. I suddenly became very busy and I had to continue to put this on hold. When I wrote to others in the group, they mentioned that they were busy too.

We must press in and fight and this is the point of this Bible study. How do we fight Satan efficiently when his only thought is destroy our livelihood and faith? By putting on the armor of God and taking strength from the God that will never leave nor forsake us!


Step Two:

Stand firm
         Don’t give up!
         Don’t give in!
         Don’t walk away from God/Christianity!
         Don’t debate or argue with Satan!

It's so easy to give up, isn't it? When the going gets even the slightest bit rocky, our human nature rises up and tells us that we should just sit down and cry. What's the point? Why bother? It's times like this that we need God more than ever and that we need friends firm in faith and relationship with Jesus Christ. It's the little trials that usually cause us to stumble, not the large, full out battles. We must always be aware and strong in order to overcome.

The first thing I usually give up when times are tough is my prayer closet, followed almost immediately by church attendance. I continue to talk to God but it's usually to complain or to excuse what I've done. God revealed to me recently how easily I faint and give in, how easily I cast Him off, expecting Him to wait until I've done what I wanted. I realize now that pressing in is the only way to live a full life. I've returned to my prayer closet and I feel a hunger, deep within me, to know Him more and to be with Him everyday. I love church and I love my church family. I love the ministry God has given me here and I refuse to faint again. I will not turn away from God.

It is so easy to get into a debate with Satan, explaining to him why you won't do what he's telling you to, why you won't turn from God. When Jesus was tempted, He spoke scripture and that was all. The right words for the right time are things only God can give us and only if we seek Him and read His word daily. Don't debate the issues with Satan. Fight back with the word of God!


Dressing For The Battle
         Ephesians 6:10-20

1. Girdle of Truth
         Of ourselves - who we truly are and what our true relationship with Jesus Christ is.
         To ourselves - about Satan and the world, about church and our daily walks. Don't lie to yourself in order to justify things occurring in your life.
         God - know who He is truly and what He wants, what His way is for your life. Having a personal relationship with Him does this. Reading His word and praying daily, getting to know Him for the love and joy of knowing Him.

When tempted, are you committed to God and a godly life? If no, Satan already has a foothold.

My friend and I were always saying, "I wish I was rich," or "I wish I had money," when we should have been asking God to keep us godly, to keep us walking with Him. Money is one of Satan's greatest battlegrounds because he knows that if he can get you to focus on money, you lose your focus on God. God said so Himself, "You cannot serve God and mammon." A lot of times, we give Satan a foothold in our lives without even realizing it. Things that are so natural for us to do can sometimes be Satan's invitation to distract us from God and ultimately gain ground in the battle for our souls. Lay down worldly cares and desires at the altar of God and focus on Him, for He is all we need.

Weapons Against You:
         Rationalization
         Doubt
         “God understands that I have to do it.”

Do you want God to use you and your life?

The following verses are in reference to the armor of God and the warfare believers find themselves in.

Romans 13:12
         The night is far spent, the day is at hand. Therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light.

2 Corinthians 10:4-6
         For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled.

3 John 1:3-4
         For I rejoiced greatly when brethren came and testified of the truth that is in you, just as you walk in the truth. I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.

2 Timothy 2:15
         Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2. Breastplate of Righteousness
         Live obediently before God. Beware of what you allow into your heart. You must have a clean heart. Your lifestyle and heart’s desire: to do the will of God.

So often, I managed to confuse my will with God's will. Some times it was purposely, just because I wanted to do what I wanted to do, and other times I lost sight of God and the goals He set for my life. I used to believe fervently that I was meant to be a pastor's wife, to marry a man that intended to lead the flock to the Shepherd. Eventually, I gave up on that belief and decided that I didn't want to marry at all if I couldn't be a pastor's wife.

In those moments, I walked away from what could have been my destiny in God. Yet, I know that He has more for me because He still moves in me, still speaks to me. I love Him more and more each day and I want to know His will for my life more than I want my next breath. I want to obey Him in everything and let His light and love flow out of me to reach others.

But, as long as my heart is divided or unclean, I cannot be a light of purity and love. Past bitterness’ and lusts, anger and jealousy, can shade the candle within me and show the world a clean living bitter woman with nothing to offer. God spoke to me recently about forgiveness and so I made it a point to forgive everyone, yes everyone, for real or imagined slights against my person. I have laid my life down before God and I will pay any cost to be His, truly and completely. Create in me a clean heart, oh Lord, and renew a right spirit within me.

He must create a clean heart within us because we are not born with it. Our hearts are filthy and full of sin, hate and deceit. But He loves us, the God of all creation, and can create a clean, new heart within us, so that we can shine boldly in the night.


Obedience and purity of heart is what the following scriptures speak of.

Acts 5:29
         But Peter and the other apostles answered and said: “We ought to obey God rather than men.”

Matthew 5:8
         Blessed are the pure in heart,
         For they shall see God.

3. Shod your feet with the Preparation of the Gospel
         In Jesus’ days, the boots of the armies were “thick soled boots with metal” which helped the soldiers plant their feet firmly in battle.
         Standing firm against satanic assaults, rooted/grounded with the peace of God in our hearts. We are saved by God, we are His children, we belong to Him. He gives us a peace that “surpasses all human understanding”, grounded in:
         Truth - returns to the above mentioned things: of ourselves, to ourselves and God.
         Personal relationship with God - it isn't something you should feel forced to seek, it should be a fire, a blaze within you, a deep desire to know God, Father and Savior, lover of your soul.

Every morning, when I put on the armor of God, I tell God to shod my feet with preparation of the Gospel not only to help me stand firm against Satan's attacks on my mind, heart and soul, but also to help me to stand firm in witnessing and being an example. It is so easy to keep my mouth shut, to not say things when I should, to not step through the open door of witness and testimony. So, now, I ask God to help me to stand firm for Him for I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ!

Theses scriptures are about standing firm, reasons why we are able to be strong and stand firm in God.

Deuteronomy 33:25
         Your sandals shall be iron and bronze;
         As your days, so shall your strength be.

Romans 8:16-17
         The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs - heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.

John 1:12-13
         But as many as received him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

2 Timothy 2:3-4
         You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier.

4. Shield of Faith
         The shield referred to here is a “2 ½’ wide, 4 ½’ tall ‘door-sized’ shield made of wood”. The most powerful asset as a believer: FAITH. Faith is defined as trust in God, which deters the fiery arrows of the enemy.
Examples of fiery arrows:
         Doubt - "That wasn't God speaking to you," or "That isn't what you're meant to do," or "Are you sure God exists?"
         Fear - Mostly fear of failure or falling short but a lot of times it can be fear of death or true intimacy with Jesus Christ.
         Lust - Just looking at someone lustfully means you've already committed adultery with them in your heart and Satan really knows how to play this card.
         Criticism - Of yourself and of others. Don't say something about yourself, or others for that matter, that God Himself wouldn't say about you. "I'm ugly," for instance. God would never call you ugly. He loves you. He created you just the way He wanted you and He never makes mistakes.
         Jealousy - Of sinners and brothers and sisters in Christ alike. A lot of times sinners seem to have the best boat while were floating on a piece of driftwood but remember that we serve a great God. He gives you all you need. Blessings can be poured out upon your brother or sister in Christ while you can't seem to get a break. God always, always, has you in His hand and no one can remove you.
         Bitterness - If you let the jealousy get to you long enough it's bound to turn into bitterness. The spirit of bitterness is foul and dark and I am speaking from personal experience. Don't allow the arrow of bitterness find its way into your heart.

I never truly understood faith until recently. I know that sounds strange but I was always thinking there was some lofty perch that I would never reach. But faith is simple. Trust in God.

These scriptures are about faith and trust in God.


Acts 14:22
         …strengthening the souls of the disciples, exhorting them to continue in the faith, and saying, “We must through many tribulations enter the kingdom of God”.

John 10:26-30
         “But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you. My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. I and My Father are one.”

Romans 1:17
         For in it (the Word of God) the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, ”The just shall live by faith.”

1 Corinthians 15:13-14
         Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong. Let all that you do be done with love.

5. Helmet of Salvation
         Used to protect and deliver us from wrongful thinking.
         The mind is Satan’s battlefield. Satan will attack you even when you’re on your knees praying. Why do you think you fall asleep while praying?

Have you ever been praising God and suddenly you think about what you're going to eat later or what you're going to wear? That's Satan. He's a mighty crafty enemy but we've got the greatest leader and protector of all. God will guard your thoughts if you ask Him to. Now, Satan will still sneak some things in but you need to crush it the moment it flickers to life in your mind. Crush it and destroy it and thank God for being who He is and never changing.

These are more scriptures about the armor of God.


Isaiah 59:17
         For He put on righteousness as a breastplate,
         And a helmet of salvation on His head;
         He put on the garments of vengeance for clothing,
         And was clad with zeal as a cloak.

1 Thessalonians 5:8
         But let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet the hope of salvation.

6. Sword of the Spirit (Word of God)
         The most powerful weapon of defense we have is the Word of God which is not only used defensively but offensively as well.
         Our greatest defense against Satan is giving him the Word of God. Give the Scripture to Satan and walk away, don’t debate.
         Take Scriptures that deal with the things Satan always tempts you with (lust, criticism, depression, etc.). Read them until they become a part of your thinking. Then, when temptation comes, thank God and give Satan the Scripture.

The first day I tried to do this, my Scripture bank was seriously lacking. My downfall was my mom and the way we had allowed our relationship to deteriorate. Satan would pop things into my head, bitter things, and the only thing I could think of was, "Honor your father and mother." It worked. Never underestimate the word of God, our sword in the war for our souls.

Some scriptures that appealed to me about truth and faith and speaking the word of God with all boldness.


John 8:32
         “And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”

Romans 10:17
         So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.

Jeremiah 23:28-29
         ”The prophet who has a dream, let him tell a dream;
         And he who has My word, let him speak My word faithfully.
         What is the chaff to the wheat?” says the Lord.
         ”Is not My word like a fire?” says the Lord,
         ”And like a hammer that breaks the rock in pieces?”

Acts 4:29-31
         “Now, Lord, look on their threats, and grant to Your servants that with all boldness they may speak Your word, by stretching out Your hand may heal, and that signs and wonders may be done through the name of Your Holy Servant Jesus.” And when they had prayed, the place where they were assembled together was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the word of God with boldness.

         Before you get out of bed in the mornings, pray to God and put on the full armor of God…daily.
         If you want victory, this is how you get it.


© Copyright 2004 DragonWrites~The Fire Faerie~ (mystdancer50 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/896530-The-Armor-of-God