*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/898899-Tree-Meditation
by Shaara
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #898899
This is a short short for Diane's Micro Fiction Contest.
This is my version of horror:


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


With my hiking boots on, my backpack filled with bottled water and sandwiches, wearing my favorite old blue jeans and a T-shirt with battle scars, I set forth on the trail. The birds sang their assorted chirps and trills. I whistled along with them, swinging my arms and breathing in the scent of chilled morning air, tree bark, and rotting pine needles.

I’d left my whiny wife behind. My office couldn’t reach me. Unpaid bills couldn’t follow me. No one knew where I’d gone. The shadows of the trees drew my first smile of the week.

I searched for the perfect tree. A blackened hole drew me. I crawled inside it -- formatted my body, cramping legs and arms into the cavernous space until I was molded inside perfectly.

I am the tree. The tree is me.

Thus I entered into the peaceful depths of meditation, tuning out the complaints of body and mind.

For several minutes, it worked. I was part of nature; the tree and I were one. Then suddenly my mind was pulled away by an ache so great I couldn’t tune it out. I attempted to move, but I couldn’t. The shoulder pain caused me to spasm, but my body was stuck. Drops of sweat dripped from my forehead. I couldn’t wipe them. Several ants crawled up my legs. I could do nothing to prevent their climb.

I wiggled. I strained. More ants joined their friends, until there was a steady stream heading upward. My sweat trickled down my neck and chest. I meditated on being smaller.

Slowly the sun slid down through the shadows of the foliage, and night fell. Again and again I attempted to shift my body. And then at last, I wept because the tree and I were one.





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


299 words on Word
© Copyright 2004 Shaara (shaara at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/898899-Tree-Meditation