*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/900330-The-Everyday-Temptation
by Tindie
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Tragedy · #900330
Basically about a widow and her everyday temptation. Please R+R!
Authors Note: Wasn't sure how to rate this so just as a warning before i get complaints this short story contains contemplations of suicide so the decision to read it is entirely yours.
- Tindie


         Dawn melted the early mornings cool gray haze with a glorious display of the suns gossamer gold. Roseate beams broke through the wispy clouds bathing the land in the days first warm glow.
         A lone figure stood silently frozen in place by the shores of the detached sea. Golden strands of sunshine touching pale skin of frost and beneath curled dark lashes lay shards of round cut sapphire glistening brightly with unshed tears of sorrow. The woman took a deep breath, the salt of the sea air tasting bitter on her tongue. The sea sang for her, to her, luring her towards the horizon with promises of happiness and finally peace. Happiness, something she knew she would never know again. She only knew the sun was gone and her world had become a frozen empty tomb. For the man she loved was dead. The world she saw, once consisting of many shades of gray, had now become merely a desolate plain of black and white. Daeryon was dead and she was all alone.
         Her eyes were drawn to the waves lapping at the shore, so calm and gentle almost like a lovers touch. The thought brought a bitter smile to her lips as a memory surfaced from the recesses of her mind, A white seabird cried out as it flew overhead but she ignored it savoring the image she gripped so tightly in her mind’s eye.
         The moon had been full and high in the sky as the circling stars shone brightly like eternally trapped fireflies pinned to the black curtain of night. The soft soothing running of water could be heard pouring into a glistening pool hidden away from prying eyes and sheltered within a cocoon of trees. Laid upon the dew tipped grass watching in silence whilst contently wrapped in each other’s arms were two figures. One utterly flawless in her perfection, hair golden and soft skin pale white against the bronzed arms that held her. The other was battle hardened from years of serving loyally under the Emperor’s banner, body sculptured and scars faint upon his skin. She studied with interest the spider tattoo marking his forearm and smiled as she remembered the other tattoo on his shoulder. The head of a black panther, the mark of an officer. Such tranquility and contentment it pained her to look back on it with such unnecessary twisted resentment.
         The memory shattered, broken into a thousand pieces as fresh crystal tears spilled forth yet no sound escaped her lips. Her gaze slid to the sea and she smiled then. Soon they would be reunited and hand in hand they would walk the Gardens of Paradise where no sorrow or pain could ever touch them again. Her feet carried her forward and without thought she stepped into the familiar cold water feeling the soaked soft sand beneath her when a babes hungry cry split the air coming from the small house behind her.
         The spell broke. Her steadfast resolve to end it all gone and she glanced mournfully at the waves as her son continued to cry. A weary sigh left her and pulling her shawl tighter around her, the woman turned her back on the sea and trudged back to her home. For now she needed to be strong and tend to her son. But there was always tomorrow.
         A single voice danced on the gentle breeze singing a well-known song with only the morning sun to hear her.
“Remember the time you were together
And even though it’s just a memory
Some memories do last forever.”

© Copyright 2004 Tindie (souldragon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/900330-The-Everyday-Temptation