*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/903549-The-Lazy-Worthless-Old-Man
by garr-8
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #903549
An old man has entered the winter of his life, and is struggling with this.
An elderly man sat on his son’s porch smoking a cigar. He relaxed in his chair and enjoyed the full rich flavor, a trademark of its Cuban origin. This man led a difficult life. He immigrated from Mexico when he was young, and supported himself with backbreaking labor. But there was great honor in hard work, and he carried a strong belief that hard work never went unrewarded. He lived his entire life by that motto. He lived by it until his body betrayed him, until he could work no more. It was at this point that he became completely dependent on his children. The elderly man was useless. He was a pathetic excuse of a man. He was the most despicable kind of human being created. He was a man who didn’t work. He was a parasite. He lived off the fruits of his children’s labor. What kind of a miserable person forces his son to support his father? His son has a family of his own to take care of. He doesn’t need the added burden.
The old man cursed his tired body. He wasn’t always this way. He was once strong and hardworking, but not anymore. What would his father think if he saw him today? His father, now there was a man. He never lived a day of sloth in his life, worked and provided until the very end.
The elderly man puffed on his cigar. He then spotted the mail carrier making his rounds. As he approached the mailbox the elderly man lowered his hat to hide his face. He couldn’t bare to be seen just lazily puffing on a cigar. Not by a man, a real man, a workingman. It was the middle of the day, and the middle of the week. The mailman must have wondered why he wasn’t at work.
He had few belongings, as should a person who just spends his days in vagrancy. The little money he did have he saved in an envelope. He knew he was a burden on his family in life, but he would not allow himself to be one in death.
The old man rose from his chair and noticed a small patch of weeds on an other wise well kept lawn. He took a few steps towards the weeds before he realized that he just didn’t have the strength and energy to pull them. So he decided to just go back inside.
“Worthless!” The man thought to himself, “I can’t even help my son with his yard.”
As he entered the house he felt the cool refrigerated air hit his face. He never ceased to be impressed by his son’s home. It was the most beautiful home he had ever been in. It was a mansion by his standards. Certainly he was unworthy of living in a place so grand. His son was a lawyer and worked very hard to get where he is. His son earned that home. He didn’t, he was a lazy old man who couldn’t hold down a job. Scum! That was the word to describe him. A man as lazy as him should be living on the streets.
The elderly man felt so tired he had to get into bed. He was ashamed of himself, and with good reason. He tired himself out just getting up and smoking his cigar. He chose to spend what little energy he did have to smoke a cigar. He should have spent that energy doing something productive but he didn’t. He selfishly used it for his own pleasure. The old man closed his eyes and went to sleep.

While he slept his son got home from work early and prepared a feast. He had invited the entire family. It would be a great surprise. All the family, even those that lived out of town, would be there. The old man had five children, four male, and one female. Grandchildren were just too many to count, and great grandkids were even worse. He was going to be very happy to see the entire family together again. It had been over two years since the last time they had done that. It was at their mother’s funeral. It was a terrible time for the family. They knew that their time with their father was limited, and wanted to make sure the family was together at least once while he still lived. This day was a perfect day for it. After all, it was the old man’s birthday. He was a very loving man. Loved all his children more that life itself. Everything that he had done in his life was for his five children. He was going to be very happy.
At about five in the evening the guests started to arrive. They were all prompt and all arrived before 5:30. They knew that by six o’clock, he would be awake. They prepared for the surprise. It was going to be the greatest birthday surprise the family had ever given him.

At six o’clock the elderly man awoke to the aroma of the great meal his son had prepared. He pulled himself out of bed and walked into the kitchen. He noticed there was no one there, but he also noticed the enormous amount of food that had been prepared. It was his favorite, caldo de rez with a rice that had plenty of garlic. On the table was cut limes and eight different kinds of chilies. The old man’s mouth watered. But he would wait. Obviously his son was entertaining quests. He would be sure to stay out of his way.
Just then he saw his son standing at the kitchen entrance. He motioned for his father to step outside. The old man followed his son out to the porch. As he stepped outside the sight of his entire family stunned him for a second. It had been so long since he had seen some of them. He just stood there in complete disbelief. Could all his children really be together in one place again? His daughter finally approached the teary eyed old man.
“Happy birthday dad!” She said.
The old man had lost track of the date. He was unaware of the fact that today was his birthday. He was overcome and the tears continued to flow. As much as he fought it, he could not hold them back. He just blamed them on the chile he never ate.
This was the greatest gift that his children could have given him. The old man was in heaven. Nothing made him happier than a noisy home, a noise that can only be created by an abundance of children. Suddenly the old man had energy. He felt strong. He felt as if he could stay up all night with his great grandchildren. Fatigue left him. He was filled with an energy that only his great grandchildren could bring. He played with them for hours. He played with them until they were worn out. These children had captivated the old man’s heart. He loved these children! They were his pride and joy.

It didn’t take long for the family to be forced to come together again. A month after the old man’s birthday, he passed away. This time they came not in a celebration, but in mourning. They knew the world had lost a good man. He was a man who wanted to work. He was a man who strived to achieve as much as he could in life. Until the day he died, he swore that hard work never went unrewarded. He lived by that motto. He never made much money. He lived a humble life. But what he did was give his children a chance. He gave them the chance to accomplish whatever their hearts desire. He did earn that mansion his son lived in. No, he did not make enough money in his entire lifetime to pay for even one room in that house, but no one can do it alone. He helped his son, and all his other children achieve their dreams, and to lead happy comfortable lives. It’s a tragedy that so many new immigrants come into this country with their hands extended, eager to take as much as anyone will give them. There are so many who want to take out the hard work and sacrifice out of the equation. It is those who will never really appreciate what this country has to offer. They will never truly be able to enjoy the fruits of this nation.
The old man was able to pay for his funeral. He succeeded in his last effort of not being a burden in death. He succeeded in far more than that. He had a family that simply adored him. He had great grandchildren that thought he walked on water. He was a good man, a strong man, a real man. He never amassed a great wealth, but what he accomplished for his family was beyond wealth, and in his eyes his family was a form of wealth. It was a wealth that was even greater than money. The elderly man died a very rich man!
© Copyright 2004 garr-8 (garr-8 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/903549-The-Lazy-Worthless-Old-Man