*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/903655-A-late-night-as-a-medic
by DBjork
Rated: E · Editorial · Career · #903655
A night as a Paramedic
This is a short story about some things that happen to me while I was a medic. This story is true and names have been changed. I hope that everyone loves this and please leave review I am new to this and have a lot to work on.


It was about 3:00am on a very hot morning. I was dispatched to the State fairgrounds for a signal 53 (overdose). There was a “Rave “ party going on. My partner and I were directed to the south side of the building where we found a young male standing against a vehicle being restrained by 2 off duty police officers.

Medic Wolfgang was trying to talk to the young man but he wasn’t talking to her. All he would say was “ I don’t want to die I just want to get high” then he would start saying the alphabet. He would continue saying this the whole time while he was in the unit as in the Emergency Room. He never changed his tone or volume.

We placed him on our cot supine and his arms were restrained with cot straps as well as his legs. At this time he bit Medic Bjork on the right forearm and started spitting. Medic Wolfgang assessed him but it was difficult because he was being combative. Prior to restraining him he pulled the wires out of the headset of the rear radio.

After Medic Wolfgang treated his injuries she stepped out to the rear of unit to talk to the officer concerning the young male’s pupils and abrasions he had. Medic Wolfgang called her report in to the hospital and gave a 5-7 minute ETA.

Once on Roosevelt in front of the county jail the young male broke through the restraint on his right hand. I notice him lift up then I saw him kick Medic Wolfgang in her abdomen. I stopped the unit in the middle of Roosevelt and ran to the back to assist her, but before I could get the rear door open he had kicked and hit her (a kick to the abdomen and hit to the right jaw). At this time I jumped in the unit and tried to get him to release Medic Wolfgang. I believe that he was on some type of drug because he had the strength on at lease four men. In order for us to get him to release Medic Wolfgang, I was forced to pry his hand off of her at the same time putting pressure to his throat. An officer that was sitting in the county jail parking lot came over to assist us in restraining the young male.

We then got back in route to the hospital. At this time I advised communication to have the hospital have their police to meet us at the ER. Upon leaving the hospital we were told that the young male was under some type of drug and that he was only 15 years old.
© Copyright 2004 DBjork (dbjork at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/903655-A-late-night-as-a-medic