*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/906437-Chapter-2
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #906437
Munt's party falls to pieces as a darkness slips ever closer.
         “Sarry, come here quickly,” Munt said frantically.

         Sarry moved in a complete panic. Her arms and legs shook like autumn leaves in a strong wind. She looked from the man to the woman and back again.

         “Sean will be fine. Make sure Tamara’s going to be alright,” Munt said, leaning down beside his armored friend, Sean.

         “Well, there goes dinner,” Katt said. Azure threw her a menacing glance and she wisely refrained from laughing at her own joke.

         “Oh dear,” Sarry whimpered. She knelt down before the injured woman Munt called Tamara. Sarry reached out with trembling fingers and moved the hair away from Tamara’s eyes. Though full of scratches, her face was beautiful, an elegance that only a few women had. Sarry spent little time admiring her through. Closing her eyes, she began to whisper and held both of her hands over Tamara’s chest. A swirling of white light moved across Sarry’s arms and slipped from her fingertips. The light fell like rain, covering Tamara’s body. As the light slipped over her like a second skin, her wounds began to mend. Sarry’s eyes opened for a moment and the light began to fade. “Munt,” Sarry whispered before falling over onto her side.

         “Is she all right?” Katt asked with widened eyes.

         Azure moved beside her and rested a finger against her neck. He looked up and nodded, “She only fainted. The healing spell took a lot out of her.”

         “Sean!” Tamara called out from the couch. She opened her eyes and sat up, looking around the room. Her eyes fell upon Sean, who rested on the floor next to Munt, and she tried to pull herself up. Katt moved beside the couch, and Tamara looked up at her, “Where am I? Is Sean alright?”

         “You’re safe with your friends,” Azure said, standing with an unconscious Sarry. “I think Sean will be fine. Hey, Munt, trade me.”

         Munt stood up and carefully took his wife from his best friend. He cradled her close and walked her into their bedroom, laying her on their bed.

         “What exactly happened?” Azure asked Tamara as he removed Sean’s helm, which was black with a golden dragon etched into it. The helm’s nose guard was the dragon’s head, two small rubies in place of its eyes.

         “We were on our way here, traveling through the woods. We didn’t have too far left to go, but Sean stopped. He told me he heard something. A moment later something jumped at me, pinned me down against the ground. Sean pulled it off of me, but another lunged at me in its place,” Tamara said, her voice trembling.

         “What were they?” Katt whispered.

         “I’m not sure. I remember screaming for Sean, but everything went black before my eyes. I must have lost consciousness,” Tamara said.

         “Do you see why wandering through the forests alone is so dangerous?” Azure said to Katt, who pouted. Azure lifted Sean up with some difficulty, throwing one of his arms over his shoulder. Munt walked back toward the living room and Azure grunted at him, “Give me a hand, will ya? Let’s take him to your guest bedroom.”

         Munt nodded and aided Azure in half carrying, half dragging Sean down the hall and into the small guest room. There was little to the room, a single window over a bed with gray sheets and a dresser. They laid him on the bed and both breathed a heavy sigh.

         “How’s Sarry?” Azure asked.

         “She’ll be alright. All she’s had to eat today was a glass of juice. I’m surprised she had enough energy to even cast the spell,” Munt said.

         “Is something wrong?” Azure asked, leaning back against the dresser.

         “Not that I know of. She has been acting a little strange of late, but I figured it was because of the dinner,” Munt said. He turned his eyes back to Sean, “What did Tamara say?”

         “She said that they were attacked on their way here by a pack of beasts. I guess they came out of the forest and just attacked,” Azure said, pausing at the sudden tense stance Munt took at Azure’s news, “You ok?”

         “Did she tell you what they were?” Munt finally asked.

         “She didn’t say,” Azure said, shaking his head, “She fell unconscious before she could realize what was going on.”

         “Ugh…my head,” came Sean’s voice. He sat up in bed and pressed a hand against the side of his face.

         “Sean,” Munt said, both he and Azure taking a step toward the bed.

         “Where’s Tamara?” Sean asked, turning his head about.

         “She’s fine,” Munt began, but Sean had to see for himself. He pulled himself from bed and tried to head to the door. His legs gave out, but both Munt and Azure rushed forward to help him stand.

         “You should rest,” Azure said.

         “Take me to Tamara,” Sean said, staying resolute.

         “Whatever you say,” Azure replied.

         With his friends' assistance, Sean made it back into the living room. Katt was walking from the kitchen, a glass of water in hand. She handed it to Tamara, who took a short sip. When she saw Sean being helped into the room, she quickly handed the glass back to Katt. She smiled, her blue eyes shinning bright. “Sean!”

         “Tamara,” Sean called back as he was helped beside her. He knelt on the floor in front of the couch, and the two embraced. Katt wrinkled her nose and walked to the kitchen, where the once fresh meal was still sitting uneaten.

         “I’m so glad you are alright,” Tamara said, her voice muffled as she remained buried in his arms.

         “I’m glad that I managed to get us both here to safety. I have never seen a pack of wolves just up and attack like that,” Sean said, stroking her hair.

         Munt’s face lost all expression. He walked into the hall and leaned against the wall. Closing his eyes, he could feel the cold darkness surround him. The pairs of red eyes encircled him, watching, uncaring, fixed. The dark figure loomed above him, the invisible force drawing him closer. He cringed and tried to resist the pull, but it wasn’t working. The wolves cried to the shadowed moon.

         “Munt? Munt, what’s wrong?”

         He opened his eyes and was home again. Sweat covered his face, and his chest heaved with each wheezing breath. Katt stood next to him, looking up with rightful concern.

         “The journey begins, boy.”

         “That voice,” Munt whispered. He knew he was not dreaming. Where did the voice come from? Why was it calling for him?

         “What voice?” Katt asked, “I don’t hear anything, Munt.”

         “The woman escaped. Your wife will not.”

         Munt turned, looking all around him. He pushed Katt aside and staggered into the kitchen. Throwing back the curtains over the window, he stared out at the forest surrounding his home. He saw nothing, only the orange glow of the setting sun.

         “Munt, you ok?” Azure asked, turning toward the kitchen.

         “I’m waiting for you.”

         Munt turned from the window, his eyes searching wildly. He pushed forward, knocking over one of the chairs at the table. Without a word, Munt sprinted for the front door.

         “Munt, wait!” Azure yelled, but it was too late.

         Munt slammed the door behind him and rushed into the forest. He ran on and on, pushing aside the lush vines and branches in his way. He ran until the glow of the sunlight through the trees faded away, making room for the darkness of night. After what seemed an eternity, he stopped and leaned his back against the trunk of a nearby tree.

         “Where are you?” Munt managed to say after regaining his breath.

         “Why, I’m right here,” a voice blew into his ear. The hair along Munt’s arms jumped to attention as a cold wave shook his body. He pushed himself away from the tree and his hand went to his side. Shaking fingers grasped for something, but they found only air. In the distance two eyes glowing red pierced him.

         “Who are you?” Munt asked, unable to free his eyes from the two bright flames.

         “It wouldn’t matter if you knew my name. A name is merely a label given to you,” the figure said, each chilling word gliding through the warm night air.

         Munt tried his best to draw his gaze away, but like his body, his eyes were frozen in place. He managed to ask, “What are you going to do with me?”

         The figure laughed a laugh so cold that Munt winced in pain. “Do not flatter yourself. You are not worth my time. I desire to find my soul mate, the woman who shall join me in the darkness.”

         “The darkness?” Munt asked.

         “Yes,” the figure replied. The eyes flashed and a ghostly white hand extended forth toward Munt. The figure moved closer, its veil of blackness trailing with him and covering its whole form. It grabbed at Munt’s arm, burning cold, slender fingers clawing at his skin. The figure opened its mouth, running its tongue along a row of jagged, inhuman teeth. “The one I choose will join me in a place where there is only death. She will join me for eternity.”

         “You attacked Tamara,” Munt said.

         “I did nothing of the sort. It was my servants that did the attacking,” the fiend corrected him, “I had been watching her, but she is not the right prize. That is why I sent the wolves after her. No use having the unsuited roam about.”

         “You monster,” Munt whispered.

         “Please save your compliments. Nothing you say will save your precious wife,” the figure said with a maniacal grin.

         “You will not touch her!” Munt shouted. His anger shook off the cloak of fear and he struggled to pull away from the grasp. Munt howled at a sudden pain in his arm. The clawed fingers that held steadfast ripped into his flesh, drawing fresh blood.

         “Really now?” the fiend hissed, laughing at Munt’s cries of pain, “You will do nothing to stop me. With you out of the picture, it will be easy for me to take what is mine.”

         Munt forced his eyes shut and whispered a few soft words before reopening them. A golden spark danced around each of his eyes. The spark intensified and traveled over his face, neck, chest, and arms. The energy reached where the monster held his grip and surged through its slender fingers and into the dark shroud. It let out a cry and recoiled its hand instantly. Munt knew he only had a moment to react. Without a thought or plan, Munt ran as fast as his legs would carry him.

         “Ungrateful human, you will not escape!” the voice echoed behind him.

         Munt’s mind began racing faster than his body. Who was that demonic man? Why did he want Sarry? Where was he going?

         The howl of a wolf brought his thoughts to a halt. He could hear the animal following him as in his nightmare. The image of the pack surrounding him slipped into his mind. He could see each dark-furred beast, smell and hear every pant and breath.

         Munt’s leg caught something, and he went tumbling to the ground. He turned his head as he rose and gasped. A wolf, exactly like those from his dream, dove at him. He writhed and pushed at the beast, but he could not match its strength. He felt claws rip into his chest, and he cried out in agony. The wolf snarled, putrid hot air blowing in Munt’s face. Munt swallowed hard, panic seizing control of his body.

         “Rum rules!” rang a voice from somewhere in the distance. The wolf shifted its attention away from Munt and yelped. Munt could feel the weight lifted from him as something barreled into the side of the wolf, pushing it off of him. He tried his best to move, finding it difficult due to his injuries. He looked up and saw the wolf pulling itself to all fours again. Nearby stood a man wearing ragged and torn clothes. He stumbled about, his shaggy brown hair swaying the top of his head. He swung an open liquor bottle at the wolf, liquid splashing all over the man and the ground.

         “What are you…?” Munt began.

         “Get out of here!” the man yelled before Munt could finish his sentence. He swung the bottle at the beast again, who snarled and bared its teeth.

         Munt’s arms shook as he pulled himself up. The wolf turned its head back to Munt and prepared to make a move. It howled as the drunk smashed his bottle against the side of its face. The sound of the crashing glass echoed and shards flew about from the impact. The wolf responded by lunging at the drunk with claws ready to rend him limb from limb.

         Before the wolf could strike, an arc of flame spiraled through the air and struck the wolf’s shoulder. The beast howled and turned in mid dive, barely brushing up against the drunken man. As the wolf hit the ground, the glowing flame faded and revealed a silver knife jammed into its shoulder.

         “Munt!” came Azure’s voice as he rushed forth into the clearing. He hurried to his friend, who leaned heavily against the trunk of a tree for support. “Are you all right?”

         The drunk staggered over to his broken bottle and frowned, “Such a waste of good booze.”

         “Who are you?” Azure asked with a quirked brow.

         “We must go back,” Munt said. He tried to walk, but his legs trembled badly.

         “Hey guys,” the drunk said, trying to draw their attention. The wolf gripped the blade with its teeth and pulled it from its shoulder. It lifted itself with some difficulty and limped into the distant darkness. Azure turned in time to see it leave, but he made no attempt to follow.

         “Azure, please help me back home. I have to make sure Sarry is all right,” Munt pleaded.

         “She’s fine, Munt. What’s gotten into you? I’ve never seen you like this before,” Azure said.

         “Are you going to help me, or am I going to have to crawl the entire way?” Munt pleaded once again.

         Azure sighed and helped his friend back to his home. The drunk plopped down on the ground and let out a dejected sigh.

*                    *                    *


         Azure pushed the front door open and helped Munt inside his home.

         “What took you so long?” Katt said, making a dash to the door. Her eyes widened when she saw the shape Munt was in. “What happened?”

         “A little run-in with a wolf,” Azure said without any further explanation. He moved around Katt and laid Munt down on the living room floor.

         “Wolves,” Tamara whispered. She watched from the couch, still too weak to move.

         Sean moved away from Tamara to help check on Munt. He looked up at Azure and slowly shook his head. Azure did not raise his head from his wounded friend. Katt stepped beside him with a dampened cloth in hand. She began to dab at Munt’s wounds. Sean stood and stepped off into the kitchen, motioning for Azure to follow him.

         “Do you believe it is safe for us to stay here?” Sean asked in a hushed voice, keeping an eye on the others left in the other room.

         “I don’t know what to think at this moment. Both Tamara and Munt have been attacked by these same beasts. I did not want to mention this before, but they are not the only ones who I have heard attacked in this manner. These attacks have been happening to many who travel these forests,” Azure said, pausing a moment to turn back to Munt, “However, there is something more to this. You saw how Munt ran off. He knows something—something terrible.”

         “Perhaps we are not safe here,” Sean suggested.

         Katt jumped to her feet at a crashing sound outside the front door of the house. Sean and Azure both pushed to the hallway. Sean pulled a broad-headed axe from his back, the blade black and serrated. Both men moved cautiously, staying silent and listening for movement. Another loud crash rang from the darkness. Katt yelped and crouched down. Her body changed form in a dim flash of light, shifting to that of a small white furred wolf pup. She ran to the side of the couch and curled up in a shivering ball.

         “On the count of three,” Sean whispered, “One, two…”

         Before Sean could count to three, the door burst open. Sean let out a wild cry and lunged forward, knocking something back with his axe. Azure stepped through the door and ran to Sean’s side, pulling him to his feet.

         “What are you doing, Azure?” Sean asked as he was pulled unwillingly to his feet. Sean gripped his axe so tightly the color left his knuckles, looking down at the helpless form he had knocked over.

         “My head,” the man groaned. He clutched a dagger in his left hand, its silver blade reflecting the light of the full moon. His right hand grabbed the side of his head in an attempt to stop the throbbing pain caused by the blow of the blunt end of Sean’s axe.

         “He’s not here to harm us, Sean,” Azure said. He released his grip on Sean’s arm and turned to the drunken man. He knelt down and took the dagger from his hand. He stood and walked back into the house, not bothering to look back. “You’re the one who knocked him silly, Sean. You bring him inside.”

         Sean lifted the drunk off the ground and slung him over his shoulder, following Azure into the house. Azure stepped back into the kitchen and pulled out a chair. Sean stepped over and dropped the drunk down in the chair. Azure grabbed a jug of water and poured a glass, handing it to him. The drunk took a drink, but sputtered and coughed the liquid up.

         “What is this crap? That’s not rum!” he said, water dribbling down his face.

         “It’s called water. I guess you don’t drink that stuff,” Sean shot back, more than a little annoyed at his rudeness.

         “Who are you, exactly?” Azure asked, leaning against the kitchen counter.

         “Sure, you wanna know my name after smashing me in the side of the head by Mr. Full Plate here? That’s the kind of thanks I get for saving your friend from being wolf food?” the drunk said, setting the glass on the table in front of him, “The name’s Dice Rumrunner, but most people just call me Dicey.”

         Azure looked down to see Katt crawling slowly into the kitchen, tail down low and ears folded over. She rubbed against his leg and whimpered.

         “There’s nothing to be afraid of, Katt. Everything is going to be just fine,” Azure said.

         A howl echoed from somewhere outside. Katt dashed back into the other room and hid behind the couch. Azure tensed, gripping the handle of his silver dagger.

         “It looks like you spoke too soon,” Sean said, peering out of the kitchen window. Sean lifted his axe once again and strode toward the door.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1012160 by Not Available.
© Copyright 2004 The Lemon (thelemon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/906437-Chapter-2