*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/909079-Shattered-Misconceptions
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Emotional · #909079
A pregnant woman's dreams are shattered by an indiscretion.
SHATTERED MISCONCEPTIONS

Much to her chagrin, Carrie was already waddling and she was only five months along. Past the "fat" stage and finally starting to look pregnant, she had thought it would still be another month or two before she started walking like a duck.

Pain shot through her right buttock and down her leg and she groaned out loud. She'd just left the doctor's after a diagnosis of sciatica meant she couldn't stand at work anymore. She filed for disability and had her doctor's note for her employeer. No more work! Now she'd have plenty of time to finish shopping for the nursery and directing Rudy with furniture placement. She made sure to hold on to the railing as she ascended the parking structure's staircase.

Reaching the level where she'd parked her car, she wondered again why Rudy hadn't made it to her doctor's appointment that afternoon. She'd reminded him that morning as she handed him his briefcase and overcoat.

"One o'clock, honey."

"I know, I won't forget. I haven't missed one yet, have I?" He kissed her cheek quickly as he shouldered his way through the door to the drive. Carrie waved as he backed down the driveway. He waved back. She smiled and wrapped her arms around her burgeoning belly.

She carefully slid behind the wheel of her car, letting the morning's memory leave her. Carrie rested her arm on the little bump below her breasts, and navigated the parking structure. Back out on the main street, she pulled out her cell phone and dialed Rudy's work number.

"No, I'm sorry," a woman's voice said, "Mr. Emerson is out for the afternoon."

Ending the call, Carrie dialed Rudy's cell. She frowned when his voice mail picked up immediately. She didn't bother to leave a message.

"Maybe he's at lunch and forgot to turn his phone on," she reasoned aloud. She let out a sigh and drove the short distance home.

Pulling into the driveway, she was surprised to see Rudy's black Lexus already in the driveway. Confusion pinched at her face. She started toward the house after locking up the car.

Why would Rudy be home at this hour? Was he sick? Had something happened and that was why he missed her appointment? The baby kicked in response to Carrie's growing worry and concern. Carrie entered the house hesitantly.

"Rudy?" Carrie noticed his coat and briefcase next to the door. "Where are you?"

The kitchen and living room were empty, so she started upstairs. At the top of the stairs, Carrie started to call out Rudy's name, but a noise stopped her. As she made her way to the bedroom, it became apparent to Carrie where the noise was coming from. She pushed the partly closed door open.

The movement beneath the comforter was unmistakable. A woman's red manicure appeared over the edge of the covers and then the back of Rudy's head came into view.

Carrie cried out in horror.

Rudy leapt from the bed, oblivous to his naked form. "Carrie! Oh my God, this isn't what you think it is!" The nameless woman scrambled to cover herself. Carrie burst into tears, running from the room.

"Carrie, wait!"

She ignored Rudy's calls, hurrying down the stairs, her tears blinding her.

Only four steps down, Carrie lost her footing.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Carrie awoke to the sound of steady beeping. The next thing she noticed was the crisp, antiseptic smells surrounding her. As she tried to raise her hand to her face, she felt the pull of tubing and bandages.

Opening her eyes and slowly surveying her surroundings, Carrie realized she was in a hospital.

What happened?

Panicked, she managed to push the nurse's call button and a moment later, a middle-aged woman in blue medical garbs entered the room.

She smiled kindly at Carrie. "I see you've woken up. How do you feel?"

Carrie ignored her question. "What happened? Why am I here?"

The nurse reached the bedside and began placing a pressure cuff around Carrie's arm. "You had an accident, Carrie. You fell down the stairs in your home. Don't you remember?"

Carrie squinted with the pain of trying to remember. "I fell?"

"Yes, dear, you're lucky you didn't break anything."

Carrie lay there while the nurse continued her ministrations. She was still so groggy...she couldn't quite remember anything...

Her eyes flew open in shock and she grabbed at the nurse's arm, flailing at her as if the nurse was a life preserver.

"My baby!" she shrieked. "Is my baby okay?"

"Carrie, please calm down!" Trying to restrain her, the nurse called over her shoulder, "Dr. Linzey, please come quickly!"

Dr. Linzey burst into the room and rushed to the nurse's side. He leaned his strong body over Carrie's and the nurse hurried to a cabinet. "Carrie, stop, please. Carrie! Let us help you!"

"My baby!" she continued shrieking. "Did I lose my baby?"

The nurse returned with a bottle and needle. The doctor barked out the dosage and the nurse added the sedative to Carrie's IV. Within a few minutes, Carrie was subdued, crying weakly.

"Carrie, I'm so sorry," Dr. Linzey began. "You fell down a flight of stairs. In best case scenarios, maternal fat and amniotic fluid provide a cushion for the baby in an accident..."

"In worse case scenarios," he continued, "damage is dealt to either the fetus or placenta directly." Dr. Linzey cupped the side of Carrie's face.

"I'm so sorry, Carrie, but the fall resulted in placenta abruption. By the time you made it here to us, we failed to pick up a heartbeat." He paused to let the news sink in.

"Oh my God, no!" she wailed. "No, no, no; it can't be!" She broke into more sobs while the doctor wrapped his arms around her.

"Carrie, we had to perform emergency surgery to stop the bleeding. I'm sorry, but there was nothing we could do to save the baby."

At that moment, Rudy walked into the room, his eyes red and swollen. He approached Carrie cautiously as the doctor stepped back. "How are you, babe?" he asked softly.

Carrie turned stricken eyes to Rudy. "You," she breathed. "You bastard! You get away from me!" she screamed, her adrenaline burning through the sedative. "Get away from me, I hate you!"

Rudy backed away from Carrie, tears streaming down his face. "I'm sorry," he whispered, "so, so sorry..."

Both the doctor and nurse struggled to calm Carrie once again. "Rudy, I think it'd be better if you just left," the doctor informed him with sad eyes. "I'll come find you when I've got her stable." Rudy nodded, slowly turned, and left the room.

The doctor finally stablized his patient. As he checked over her vitals once more, he shook his head sadly when he thought about what had just happened to this family. In an instant, their whole world had been ripped apart. Even though Carrie was in a medicated slumber, tears still leaked beneath her eyelashes.

Outside in the hall, Rudy slumped against the wall, his knees weak. Sobs wracked his body as he slid into a puddle on the floor. Holding his head in his hands, he cried.


THE END

© Copyright 2004 Susannah Deschain (mswriter70 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/909079-Shattered-Misconceptions