*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/910747-God-Your-ocean-is-big-my-boat-is-small
Rated: E · Essay · Experience · #910747
In the spirit of Thanksgiving, we have so much to appreciate in life.
Oh God, Your ocean is so large, and my boat is so small.

What a profound statement, a prayer that Fr. Mike, the President of XU has prayed daily for 30+ years.
I think one could type a dissertation and have a treatises left over. I think we’ve all felt overwhelmed in life from time to time, some times it feels as if the boat is overloaded and ready to capsize. THEN WHAT? Well, put your hands in the Hand of the Man that made you.

I am sure we have all had upheaval in our lives. No one escapes untouched. It starts with growing pains, expanding our scope as we grow up and struggle to learn, then we marry and have kids and often, struggle more during that phase in life than any, referring to relationships and people that are supposed to be in love, but, it is only a one sided relationship at the end. Then the business world kicks in, and kicks us often in the seat of our pants. The real world gives us lots of opportunities to become humble and appreciative, some learn and accept, some stand up, arrogant, defiant, diffident and even curse the hand dealt to them. Some go thru life whining about every little thing, lousy food, always tired, cold, hot, whine, whine and whine!!!! And then, we get old, body parts rust, quit working, and become obsolete.
Finally, the stinger, el morte’…..death.

What will we take with us? Geeez, the last I heard, nothing. I think we may have our memories to take, as we will be discussing them with the Owner of the ocean. For those that will scoff and disbelieve, all I gotta say is, I bet you will wish you believed, when it’s time to ‘fess up. I bet I betcha.
So, what’s it all about then, come in empty handed, go out empty handed, and play the hand dealt us. Some are born with the silver spoon and some are born to not live a week. Some have mansions, some have only the sky over their heads. Some get shots to protect at birth, some have contaminated water to drink as babies. Some ride in a limo to school, some children work in the fields and are haggard by age 20, if they live that long. We, who are reading this, or me who is typing it, sure have been gifted.

Did someone say gift? Just a minute ago up above we were struggling with a vast ocean, now we have gifts….I bet you think you are in a boat with no oars, when in reality we have the QE II with all the trimmings of 1st Class. I feel we choose our accommodations in life, we can rough it, or we can lead a great life….it is all about what we are willing to put into life, and to target our goals. I know in my personal life, it’s simple: “friendship, exploration, appreciation thru photography, memories of rides that took my breath away, planning future rides, and finding fresh black java to go with good conversation. (Ice water w/lemon often, will do.) Yeah, and so much more. All of a sudden this is turning into a novella on the spirit of Thanksgiving, and I guess, it’s so fitting as it’s this week.

Bottom line, be thankful for what cards you have been dealt, play them wisely, always know that no matter how bad life is, it could be worse. Please give thanks for the good life, and share with less fortunate. Whether it’s monetary or just friendship. Realize, that all we have now, all that we revel in, we may not have tomorrow. Appreciate, share and give thanks to the Creator of the ocean that we are afloat in for these oh so short years.
Jim
© Copyright 2004 jimijack (jimijack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/910747-God-Your-ocean-is-big-my-boat-is-small