*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/911302-One-of-Lifes-Hard-Lessons
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #911302
First place in Captain Colossal's daily flash fiction contest.
Trevor was walking home from school when he saw it.

He knelt down next to the bush, pushed back the dead leaves. The sparrow was still alive, but obviously injured.

"Don't worry, I'll take care of you."

Trevor sprinted for home. Bursting into the kitchen, he threw a "Hi Mom!" over his shoulder and ran up the stairs. Digging through his closet, he pulled out a shoe box.

"Ta da!"

Downstairs and out the back door, he ran the short distance from his house to where he'd left the injured bird.

The sparrow's chest rose and fell, its beak opening and closing in unison. Trevor looked around for a stick to move the bird with, but decided that would be too cruel. He slipped off his jacket and scooped the bird up with it. He laid the bird inside the box and set the lid on top.

Back home, he set the box on the table for his mom to inspect.

"What's this, Trevor?"

Trevor danced from one foot to another. "Can I keep it?"

His mother eyed him doubtfully and then peered inside. "Oh honey," she said. "It's going to die."

Trevor looked strickened. "You can't fix him for me?" He was thinking of the time she sewed up his Bobby Bear. Mom always knew what to do.

"He's been hurt too badly," she said gently. "There's nothing I can do."

~~~~~~~~~

She watched Trevor dig a small rectanglular hole in the backyard. The sight of his head bowed over the small grave saddened her. She'd been unable to protect her son from the first of many of life's great tragedies.

Trevor trudged into the kitchen. He walked slowly up to his mom and then threw his arms around her waist and cried into her blouse.

"I'm so sorry, sweetie."

"Daily Flash Fiction Challenge"   [13+] by Arakun the Twisted Raccoon
© Copyright 2004 Susannah Deschain (mswriter70 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/911302-One-of-Lifes-Hard-Lessons