*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/915643-The-Queen-of-Sed-Search-for-a-King
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Travel · #915643
Don't bother reviewing this. Seriously.
This is something I left incomplete a long time ago. I might finish it, if I feel like it.

The Queen of Sed:Search for a King


The Queen of Sed was through with battles. Her country was united under her rule, foreign countries either respected or feared her power, and there were no nobles who openly opposed her right to wear The Feathered Cloak of Ten Hawks and The Great Hawk's Beak upon her head.

It was fine for a time. She made laws that were obeyed, judged the herder and noble alike, and performed all the duties required of her station.

But yet, there was whispering among her subjects that there would be another war. The queen was greatly concerned and angered upon hearing the rumor. In court, the same day it reached her ears, she rose from her throne with her curved sword held high, and said, "Who would dare challenge my power by starting another war?" She pointed her sword at everyone in the throne room. "Speak! Is it one of you? Is it some nation who thinks me weak?"

"N-no, Majesty!" stammered the Carnor of Mun. "The war that is spoken of will happen after your natural death."

"And why is that, Prana, son of Durask? Do you mean to say you will fight amongst yourselves for my title, after I have bled to bring you all together?"

"You are a powerful queen, the greatest the world has ever seen." said a less shaky Damon of Thrusk. "But you need a king. This country needs an heir from your strong blood."

"None of you would be satisfied if I named my brother as my successor?" asked the queen, incredulous.

"He is older than you. You are sure to outlive him, Great One. Besides he has married a Beruskey woman. His heirs would be Beruskey, and their house would be held above all others." replied an old noble from Umm.

The queen sat down heavily in her throne, taking in all this information. I have brought together ten peoples under my name, who number 200,000. If everyone will fight amongst themselves after I am gone, what good were any of the wars I have fought? Also I am lonely. I need somone by my side. The queen addressed the court. "I will take council here with my advisors. The rest of you, except for the elder noble from Umm and the Damon of Thrusk, are dismissed." she said aloud. She rose then and held her hands out in front of her as if in front of her as if in offering. "May The Gods send you on your way with much good."

The nobles responded by bowing low and said as one, "And may you remain here with much good, oh Great One. May your feathers shine forever."
* *

After hearing from her advisors and the noblemen she had asked to stay, the queen had made her decision.

"Since I cannot marry from among you, I must have a foreign husband." The queen's words caused a loud outrage among her subjects. However, she only had to slam her ringed fist upon the cedar arms of her throne to silence them. "I will have a king, or whatever he is called in his country. He must be my eqqual in strength, courage, and wisdom. I will respect his ways, and he will respect mine. In order to be assure that he is right for me and my country, I will seek him personally." Murmuring began again, and again she slammed her hand for silence. "My brother will become prince and rule in my place until I return. I will prepare to leave as soon as possible, with soldiers, my personal servants, and scribes to document foreign customs. There will be a tax on every city so that I will have enough tribute to prove that my country is wealthy."

The queen dismissed everyone in the room except for her brother, whom she needed to speak with most of all.

Pajan rubbed his shaven head to relieve the stress he now felt. "Marrying a foreigner and making me a prince? Sister, are you sure this is what must be done?" Even though he was her brother, he had avoided taking a title. He felt that the most useful tool was a crook, and if neccesary, a sword. He had no use for a sceptre.

"Are you afraid brother? You have always been my strength. Do not ask me stay." The queen told him firmly.

Pajan sighed, knowing that to ensure the stability of the country, he had to conceed. "Your head is set in it's way. I will not ask for what you cannot give. You are Queen of Sed." Pajan bowed to her, for the first time. "My life is yours." He said before he straightened.

The queen breathed deeply. Now her brother had offered his full allegience and support to her. She could leave now. The queen placed a hand on his bare shoulder, unadorned with the beaded trappings of an elaborate court cloak. "Thank you. You are the only one I trust to hold my place for me."

"Place no great confidence in me, sister. Anything will happen." replied Pajan seriously.

"Then it will be so."

"Caution is healthy, Nikiri." He said.

"As is confidence, Pajan. A nervous ruler is a weak one." She narrowed her eyes at him. "Are you weak, brother?"

Pajan grabbed the hand on his shoulder and squeezed hard. "Is my hand weak, sister?"

Nikiri removed her hand from his shoulder, and he let her go. "I would not give my sword to a weak hand." She unsheathed her sword and held it out to him. "It is yours. Where I seek to tread, it would do no good to come as a warrior."

Pajan did not take the sword." Would you decieve your king then? Go as you are. Is 'The Great Sedian Queen' ashamed of her position at the head of her army?"

"I am not ashamed. I fear that men will be afraid to approach me armed."

"Then conceal it under your clothing. But always keep it at your side. You know you can not trust anyone with your own life. If anything were to happen to you with your sword in my possesion, I swear I would fall on it." All remaining doubts about his faithfulness, vanished. He was a man who vowed rarely, but truthfully.

"I understand." said Nikiri, feeling the sting of tears in her eyes. "I will follow your council."

She turned and went into her chambers.
* *
Exactly thirty days later, Queen Nikiri was prepared to leave. The scribes, soldiers and servants were dressed in the best clothing they recieved from their respective clans to represent them in the most favourable light. Every piece of metal worn was polished and shined, every piece of cloth and hide was newly dyed and cured, every sandal and shoe had never been worn before that day.

There was a huge caravan loaded with gifts for the future queen's husband. Ingots of electrum, gold, and silver had to be pulled in ten seperate wagons, with ten heads of cattle per wagon. Monkeys, cheetahs, zebras, and other exotic animals were in one hundred cages with platinum bars. The finest linens, flawless jewels, and new leathers were housed in almost a dozen wagons.

Nikiri herself had five large wagons for herself: One for bathing, one for changing her clothes, one that housed her clothes, one for riding on or cleeping in, and one wagon for holding all her miscellaneous goods, such as her makeup and perfumes.

All these things were not the end of the caravan, however. All the people accompanying the queen had to bring their own clothing and goods, which totalled some two hundred additional wagons. It was a glorious spectacle, if ever there was one before.

Before she left, the queen felt it neccesary to publicly crown her brother with The Great Hawk's Beak, and drape his shoulders with the The Feathered Cloak of Ten Hawks. Otherwise, she thought, some would think the prince unequal in authority to her.

Once assured her brother's position was secure, Queen Nikiri left for the east.

* * *

The queen and her accompanying subjects crossed many miles of desert to reach the distant empire of Manchuria. After two months, they encountered the first people on encounters in any country: soldiers. The queen was taken aback by their appearance: short of stature, with slender-looking eyes and wispy beards. Their skin was slightly lighter than hers, which she attributed to the lizard-like armor they wore.

"Do they hide from the sun in lizard skins? The lizards they have here must be as big as a man!" said the queen to herself, marvelling at the guards appearance. The queen sent a messenger, who knew the language, to announce her to the soldiers, who were dumbfounded by her strange and fantastic procession.

"They say they must go and tell their king, who they call 'Emporer' in this land. His permission is required before you can go any further." reported the messenger.

"Go and ask them how long that will take." Queen Nikiri ordered.

The messenger went, and after a brief interaction, he came back. "They say three days at the most. We are at the very outskirts of a large land."

The queen raised an eyebrow. "My land takes far longer to cross, but the Manchurian concepts of size are not my own. Ask them what arrangements can be made for us."

Again, the messenger went and asked, and returned with an answer. "They apologize, but this is a barren outpost. There is nothing around for miles. Not even a village."

"Brilliant strategy. If invaders came, they would have to come many miles before making a first attack, giving the Manchurians plenty of time to choose to attack or retreat further into their territory. Brilliant." she said aside to her scribe, who was already busy at work. "Tell them we will wait here until they have recieved their orders from their...Emporer."

After a long drawn out interaction with the guards, the messenger returned. "They say a messenger will return within a week with their orders on whether or not to admit us. They also add that it is very rare that the Emporer admits any foreign sovereign."

Queen Nikiri nodded. "Tell them that I understand, and that we will make camp here until we recieve word."
© Copyright 2004 EyeSingOnTheCake (mayasclaw at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/915643-The-Queen-of-Sed-Search-for-a-King