*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/915866-A-Foolish-Breed-of-Wisdom
by Cary
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #915866
A tale of how the foolish tree destroys the wise forest.
A Foolish Breed of Wisdom



Nestled in the broad valley just south of Netrione lies the blossoming meadow known as Poatman’s Grove. The mountains on either side are abundant with waterfall cascades and streams that feed the river Avarus running through the heart of the valley.

Well, long before you or I, and before the first drop of snowmelt drained from the mountainside, there was an ancient forest covering the meadow. The trees were very large, and very old. All but one tree, whose roots were young and strong; growing directly in the heart of the forest. Day after day, month after month, the young tree would listen to the elders of the forest talk philosophy, and…oh…whatever wise old trees discuss. It grew incredibly bored of their intellect, and very foolish even though being surrounded by ages of wisdom. It decided that since it could not surpass their knowledge; it shall grow tall and strong, becoming the largest tree that ever sprang from the forest floor. Year after year it worked hard and grew as tall as the elders. But it was still young, and still growing. The young tree would laugh at their philosophy and knowledge. Boasting at how tall and strong it will become.

“You will all be tiny shrubs against my trunk and praise me and love me” it would declare.

Decades turned to centuries and the young tree grew into the sky as tall as the mountains. Its great limbs stretching to the far corners of the woods.

“Ha ha ha!” its laughs fell like thunder onto the forest below. “Now worship my roots or I will pull you from the ground like a weed!”

But the great tree began to notice that the other trees below were quickly dying. Its giant canopy stood like a black cloud over the land, and none of the other trees were able to get any sunlight. The once lush forest soon became a dying wasteland. And there the great tree stood. A magnificent wonder but alone, with no one left to admire it or praise it. No one but itself. For eons it cried until its tears formed a swift river below. The rapids carved the soil from its root and sent it collapsing to the ground with a mighty crash; echoing through the ages. And so ends the tale of how the foolish tree destroyed the wise forest.

© Copyright 2004 Cary (lierce81 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/915866-A-Foolish-Breed-of-Wisdom