*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/917725-Lynn-McCollSterling-Hopehigher-call
Rated: E · Article · Community · #917725
Personal profile of community volunteer
Without a doubt, Lynn McColl has a good ear.
Credit its development to 25 years of hearing the distinct nuances of Latin on the tongues of her students at Christ Church Episcopal School. Perhaps it was how a community need struck a personal chord and she helped to create a neighborhood solution called the Sterling Hope Center. Or, it could be the clear and plaintive call to ministry she heard as a result of her efforts that now moves her toward new goals within the Episcopal church.
“I feel like I have a whole new life,” McColl said. “My heart was transformed from this work. My work with the church led me to the Sterling Hope Center. That transforming event led to my further involvement with hearing the call to ministry. As a deacon, I will work for nothing to serve poor parishes and I’ll be the voice about the needs of the world to the Episcopal Church. I intend to be kicking and screaming.”
The work she has accomplished is a labor of love on behalf of the Sterling Hope Center, which serves as the neighborhood community center for the Sterling and Dunbar Street neighborhoods.
“As a member of the Christ Church vestry for missions and outreach, I was a part of discussions to provide educational outreach to the Dunbar Street neighborhood,” McColl said. “Dr. Darrell Jervey, a member of Christ Church who owned the property where the Free Medical Clinic stood, gave the property to Christ Church when the clinic moved from Dunbar Street, and we started things there.”
The decision was made to move forward with the project, and the church raised $300,000 by writing grants and raising other funds. The Christ Church organization provided $70,000 for the project.
“We loved the idea of a neighborhood educational outreach center that people could walk to,” McColl said. “Residents of the neighborhood would be able to take advantage of the services of five agencies: Greenville Literacy, Safe Harbor, Project Care, the Greenville County public schools and SHARE. The children begged to come, but there was nothing available there, so we started an after school program. The Sterling children needed the assistance and I felt that my teaching background could be applied there.”
Resources in the form of volunteers and monetary contributions came from the Junior League, the Rose Ball, First Presbyterian Church, Fourth Presbyterian Church, Rotary and the Sterling neighborhood.
“The Junior League and the Rose Ball gave enough money for a small computer lab, and through the church we were able to coordinate one volunteer for each child.” McColl said.
McColl’s husband, David, a retired financial officer, also stepped in with willing hands ready to be put to work.
“At times he did everything from keeping the books, doing the cooking and keeping the grounds,” she said. “He even started a garden that features fresh vegetables and blackberries for the neighborhood. I could not do the things that I’ve done without him. Now, our main partner is Within Reach, and they have provided a general director for the facility, Ms. Giovanna Burgess. She is marvelous, qualified and intelligent, and she’s doing a great job. I’m receding while she’s taking over.”
McColl’s recession is by no means a retreat. Almost a month ago, she obtained approval from the church to begin the Episcopal ordination process.
No matter what, McColl will have a voice that carries. Having served as vice president of the Greenville Literacy Association’s board, chairman of the Rose Ball and a member of the Junior League, McColl has learned the importance of coalition in her volunteer efforts.
“I have always used my resources to benefit other things,” she said. “Being the chairman of the Rose Ball, a social event, is opposite the type of work I do with the vestry of Christ Church. My interests have not been disparate, and I didn’t see it that way. Through my Junior League and Rose Ball work, I learned to read and write grants, and I was able to present the Sterling Hope Center to the Hope Ball.”
McColl is cognizant of the balance that is necessary with her active community involvement and a busy family life, as her six grandchildren, ranging in age from 2 years old to 13 years old, can attest.
“I go where my passion is strongest,” she said. “I am also very responsive to the greatest need. I am allowed to participate fully in community life and retreat into family life when I need to do so. Sometimes I’m quite out of whack, but the faith component keeps me able to center myself. I enjoy working with other people to form a better community, and creating a common goal has been my dream all along.”
© Copyright 2004 woods_kb (woods_kb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/917725-Lynn-McCollSterling-Hopehigher-call