*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/919534-Christmas-Traditions
by Diane
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #919534
New Christmas traditions are formed as a result of family changes.
Andrea woke up, knowing she needed to call her parents. This time of year was always difficult. Since the divorce, she had to decide how to split her time among her family members. It was becoming more and more of a hassle as the kids got older.

"Hmmmm, c'mere." David wrapped his arms around Andrea and pulled her close to him. He loved the smell of her hair and the feeling of her body curved into his, even after twelve years of marriage.

Andrea smiled and snuggled into David's warm embrace. "Good morning yourself, handsome." She forgot about the inevitable phone call for a moment and dropped back into a light sleep. The buzzing of the alarm woke her a few minutes later. She stretched and sat up despite David's protests.

"I have to get breakfast for the kids," she said, kissing David on the forehead and turning off the alarm. She grabbed her robe on the way out the bedroom door. The cool tiles of the kitchen floor jolted her out of her sleepy shuffle and she hurried to the coffee pot. She flipped the switch and added the water. The smell of coffee would wake David quicker than any amount of nagging on her part.

She contemplated the phone call again as she pulled the eggs and milk out of the refrigerator. She had to choose. David insisted that they not drag the kids to three places over the holiday this year. His parents always celebrated Christmas Eve and the past two years, since her parents separation, they had split Christmas Day between her father and mother. This always resulted in cranky children and overstuffed stomachs. This year she would have to choose one place to spend Christmas Day.

Andrea knew David was right, but how could she pick? She loved both of her parents. They refused to get together, even for the holiday, so the decision had to be made. Andrea pushed this to the back of her mind again as she made omelets for the kids. Soon she could hear David rousing the boys from sleep. She poured the ingredients for the omelets into the pan, knowing the boys would burst through the kitchen doors any moment claiming to be starving.

She wasn't disappointed when two minutes later, Jimmy ran in, sliding to her side in his new Power Ranger slippers. "Moooommmmmm, I'm hungry! When's breakfast going to be ready?"

She shook her head, rolling her eyes at the drama that followed her son everywhere he went. "In a minute, Jimmy, have a seat at the table."

Jimmy sat down and took a swig of his orange juice while he waited. He was swinging his legs, trying to kick the chair on the other side of the table, when his brother, Thomas, walked into the kitchen. Thomas took his seat quietly, waiting for his mother to bring the food to the table.

"Good morning Thomas." Andrea called across the room as she pulled plates out of the cupboard. She noted his nod in response to her greeting, Thomas wasn't much of a morning person. David came into the kitchen in time to help her carry the plates to the table. After they were all seated and the blessing was given, David asked if she'd made her decision.

"Not yet," she answered quietly. The boys looked at their parents, but could see this was an adult conversation so they continued eating.

"You can't put it off any longer," David said, "Christmas is next week."

"I know." Andrea responded, pushing her plate away. She wasn't hungry anymore.

The boys finished eating and took their plates to the sink before dashing up the stairs to get dressed for school. Andrea and David washed the dishes in silence, both thinking about the decision that had to be made. David dried the last dish and put it in the cabinet before turning to Andrea. He put his arms around her and she laid her head on his shoulder.

Sighing, she said, "I'll call them after I take the boys to school."

David kissed the top of her head, wishing he could make the decision easier for her. "I know they'll understand."

Later that morning, Andrea dialed her father's phone number. She paused before she hit the final number, knowing the conversation wasn't going to be an easy one. "Hi Dad. It's me," she said when he answered.

"Hi Pumpkin! How are you?" he asked, the joy at her phone call evident in his voice.

"I'm good. Just calling to iron out the holiday plans." she said, knowing she couldn't tell him they weren't coming for Christmas Day.

"I ordered a ham and all the trimmings. I'll pick them up on the morning of Christmas Eve and throw them in the oven a couple hours before you get here. What time are you coming this year?" he asked.

Andrea sighed, "We'll be there around noon Dad. See you then."

"I can't wait!" he said, then closed the conversation by telling her how much he loved her.

Andrea sat at the kitchen table with her head in her hands. She couldn't do this. She thought her father would be the obvious choice. He didn't cook and she thought he might be relieved to know he wouldn't have to prepare a meal, but the happiness in his voice and the fact that he'd already arranged for food, made it impossible for her to tell him they weren't coming on Christmas Day.

David came home to find Andrea in a similar position at the kitchen table that evening. Andrea told him about her conversation with her father.

"So what did your Mom say?" David asked, already anticipating her response.

"She said she'd have dinner ready at 6." Andrea sighed.

David rubbed her shoulders, "Well, I guess this is one holiday tradition we're stuck with for a while."

Andrea smiled at her husband, "I love you."
© Copyright 2004 Diane (sgambill72 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/919534-Christmas-Traditions