*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/931170-Ch1--The-Oak-Tree
by Dawn
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #931170
a girl accidently finds a way into another world through an old oak tree.
It was a bleak Febuary morning, the sky thick with towering black clouds that blocked the winter sunlight. Wind whipped through the trees, tossing the debris on the air. Raindrops pounded as hard as hammers on the houses that lined an empty street. People were watching through the safety of their windows at the fury of the weather.

On the corner of the street was a medium-sized home with cracking grey paint with an iron wrought fence that wrapped around the entire property. At the south western end of the house was a very old oak tree. It's bark was also grey with age, peeling off the trunk in some places, with it's branches hanging heavily. One them looked as if a tire swing had been there because there were two perpindicular scars on it.

On the second floor of the house was a small balcony with stairs that led down to the side yard closest to the tree. A patio set was in the middle of it and was dirty with time. Two double doors opened out onto the balcony from a bedroom. Just then a young girl ran out, her wavy brown hair swirling in a cloud around her face as the rain grasped each strand in it's wet fingers.

She had been getting ready for school before then, as she wore the traditional school uniform of a private school. A knee-length
pleated tan skirt, a white blouse, and a tan jacket with a crest emblazoned just above the right chest pocket. It was an open book crossed with a feathered quill, and the words 'Magna Cum Laude', meaning, 'With great honour or academic distinction'. Her name was Celeste Carson, the daughter of Jacob and Marianne Carson, owners of a failing restaurant.

"Don't walk out of here like that!! This is my house, not yours!" a woman with short red hair came out after her.

"Why should I care? You never cared for me! Never!" Celeste retorted angrily,

"Yes I have. Your father and I have given you shelter, food, and clothing. So don't even say we never cared."

"Thats the problem. You never gave me anything else, you ignore me."

"If you weren't such a problem child, we'd be happy to spend time with you." Marianne's voice rose above normal.

She threw her hands in the air. "One day you'll see what you've done and want to apologize. When that day comes you will have no one to turn to after I ignore you."

Before Marianne could say another word, Celeste had gone down the stairs. The rain was hitting her face, stinging the skin. From the balcony she could hear the doors slamming shut, then the tears started coming.

No one wanted to care about some lonely, depressed girl.

Celeste looked around for some shelter, and spotted the oak tree. It had been there ever since she could remember. When she was six, she had climbed to the top to see how high off the ground it was, but got scared and fell mid-way. Marianne had said, "You stupid girl! I hope you break your legs next time."

"I wish I was away from here. In a different time where no one knows me, and I can just start over." pulling her jacket tighter, she hurried underneath the tree.

Celeste sat down and after a couple minutes started to feel extremely tired. 'Fighting with someone will do that.' a voice said in her ear.

"Yes. It will..." she found herself fighting to stay awake.

'Go to sleep child. Everything will be okay.'

"I can't. Just... waiting for... mom to cool down."

'Fall asleep. You will be okay.'

"Nothing will ever be okay..." and sleep took her.

Then lightning struck the oak several times and instead of burning, it started to glow a bright blue. Then white sparks flew off in every direction. If anyone was watching they'd see a body disppear underneath an aging tree.

© Copyright 2005 Dawn (nu_writer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/931170-Ch1--The-Oak-Tree