*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/932303-The-Jacket
by spidey
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #932303
Sam needed a new winter coat.
Sam stood in front of the full-length mirror in the entryway between the front door and his living room, carefully eyeing his reflection. Combing over every detail, he paused and grimaced at his old and worn winter coat. I have to get a new one, Sam told himself.

He grabbed his keys from a hook which hung on the wall next to the front door, and pulled the door open. With a breath that comes only from those who dread shopping, Sam stepped outside. Thoughts of trepidation running through his mind, he made his way to his car. Once he was sitting inside, on the leather seats, with a Breaking Benjamin CD in the player, he began to relax. He even hummed a little to himself as he drove. Soon, though, a sight that caused much anxiety crept into his vision: The Mall. Since the lot was sparsely occupied by cars, Sam quickly pulled into a parking space. The local mall was rarely crowded on Thursday mornings, which was why he waited until this day to go. Taking another deep breath, he shut off his car and entered the mall, making his way to a discount clothing store.

Making his way through the various racks of jackets, Sam began to sense a feeling that resembled both a dull ache and a stabbing pain creeping into his sinuses. He glanced at the many different styles of coats, picking one up every once in awhile, but he had yet to find one that passed his inspection. He needed a good winter coat, one that would keep him warm, yet wasn’t too bulky or too expensive. Sam’s girlfriend, Hilary, was taking up much of his saved money. He worked at a local factory that made parts for windows. He didn’t make very much money, and the few days per week that he wasn’t working were spent with her, taking her to various places, which always cost money. They’d been dating for a few weeks now, and Sam was still trying to decide whether she was worth all the trouble.

Sam made his way to another aisle, and another rack of coats when a shrill ring interrupted the silence of the store. Sam jumped and searched around him for the source of the sound, and realized that it was coming from his own body. Frantically, he pulled his cell phone out of its holder clipped to his right side, and placed it next to his ear. “Hello,” he grumbled, while looking guiltily around him. The two other shoppers nearby glared at him for using his cell phone inside the comfortable silence of the store.

“Sam? Where are you,” a high and very feminine voice asked him.

“Oh, Hilary, hi. I’m at the mall looking for a coat.”

“Oh, that’s great! I’ve been telling you to get a new one! You know what you should get . . . ”

Hilary’s voice continued on in a piercing excitement for several minutes. Sam listened with little interest, occasionally rolling his eyes and muttering, “Mm-hmm.”

Suddenly, his attention was drawn back into the conversation, when he heard Hilary say, “So I’ll see you later tonight, right?”

“Huh? I thought you were hanging out with Claire?”

“Yeah! Duh! I told you, we’re coming over to your place tonight. Claire wants me to dye her hair.”

Sam paused, thinking. “. . . And why can’t you do this at your apartment, or at Claire’s?”

A long sigh emanated from the ear piece. “I told you! Don’t you ever listen to me? You’ve got that big sink in your bathroom. It makes it easier to rinse.”

“Oh,” Sam replied, with no enthusiasm.

“Besides,” Hilary continued, her voice sickeningly sweet. “I want to spend time with my sweetie! I don’t get to see you enough! Oh yeah, and we’re renting movies tonight. I’m letting Claire decide since she just broke up with her boyfriend.”

Sam started to voice his protest, when he was cut short-”Listen, sweetie, I gotta go. Claire’s here. See you soon!”

An audible click sounded as the phone disconnected. Sam shook his head, deciding she was probably not worth the effort and money.

Getting back to the task at hand, he moved down the rack of discount coats, and spotted one that stood out from the others. It was a very stylish brown, leather jacket. Hilary would love it, Sam laughed to himself and touched the sleeve to check the price: $200. For unexplainable reasons, Sam suddenly felt a strong desire to try on the jacket. No harm in trying it on, he told himself.

As Sam slipped his arms into the jacket, he felt a slight shiver run down his spine. For just an instant, he felt an irresistible urge to rip the jacket off his body and throw it to the ground in disgust. It only lasted a fraction of a second, though, and in the next moment, he was pulling the jacket tighter around his shoulders, feeling the fabric fit snugly on his warm body. He knew this was the one.

The coat felt great on his body, warm and almost alive. Sam begrudgingly took the jacket off and walked quickly to the cashier. He drummed his fingers on the counter as the salesgirl rang up his purchase. When she told him the total cost, he tore a credit card out from his wallet and quickly placed it into the waiting hand of the salesgirl, while she eyed him strangely. He gave her a weak smile, hoping she would hurry up.

As soon as Sam exited the store, he took the leather jacket out of the large bag and put it on. Once again, as he slipped the jacket onto his body, he felt a slight shiver, except this time, instead of a fleeting instant of disgust, he felt waves of pleasure. He was extremely satisfied with his new winter coat. Happily, Sam slowly made his way through the shopping mall, pausing every time he spotted a reflective surface. He peered at his reflection, thrilled with his new appearance. He felt like a new man. Eventually, Sam made his way to the food court.

Staring at the various menus in the vast array of choices in cuisine, Sam thought, Hmm.. What should we eat?

Sam’s brows wrinkled as he paused in confusion. Did I just think “we”?

Sam shrugged off the confusion, and picked a burger joint. He ordered a cheeseburger, fries and a soda. The cute, twenty-something cashier gave Sam a dazzling smile and said, “Nice jacket,” as she handed him his change. Sam found himself eying her suspiciously, unsure of her motives. Again, he wrinkled his brows in confusion. “Thanks,” he uttered and took his tray to a nearby table.

Once again lost in the warmth and incredible joy of the comfort he felt, Sam finished his meal quickly. He took his tray to a trash receptacle and strolled to the exit when an all-too familiar ringing made him jump. With an air of frustration and annoyance, he pulled his cell phone up to his ear.

“Yeah?” he asked angrily.

“Sweetie! Where are you? We’re at your apartment waiting!”

“What? Oh yeah. I’ll be there soon. I’m leaving the mall now.”

“See! Aren’t you glad I bought you that cell phone? Now I can call you all the time when I’m wondering where you are!”

“Um, yeah, it’s great,” Sam replied, as he exited the mall, and headed to the parking lot. “Listen, I’m about to get into my car, so I’ll talk to you soon, okay?”

“Okay, sweetie! I can‘t wait to see the coat you got! I bet you look great in it! Maybe I can even borrow it sometime?”

Sam pressed a button on the phone and returned it to its place. He let out a low groan, while a surge of hot anger coursed through his body. A thought entered his mind: If I could just get that bitch out of my life! She’s ruining everything! God! The next time I see her, I swear, I‘m going to -

In the next instant, Sam was accosted by a group of people who were dressed like they were from the 1970s. They tore at his jacket, and yelled into his face. “Murderer!” they screamed.

Sam happened to catch sight of a sign one of the attackers was holding, “Leather is Murder.” Sam growled with seething anger, and turned to fight back against his accusers. His fingers cut through the air and wound themselves around the neck of one of the attackers, when another of them pulled the new leather jacket off of his body.

Sam shook suddenly, and felt as if a great weight had left him. He glanced back at the person who had taken his jacket with a fierce questioning glare. What the fuck is going on? he asked himself.

Just then, a mall security guard interrupted escorting the protestors away, and in the process, returning the jacket. Sam, utterly confused by the whole ordeal, made his way back to his car. He unlocked the door and climbed inside. He sat in the front seat, his hands gripping the steering wheel, while the jacket lay across the passenger seat.

What’s wrong with me?

Sam glanced to his right at the new jacket. He had been about to strangle that protestor to death. He was sure of that - He was about to kill a person. If that other person hadn’t removed his jacket, he would have done it. Suddenly it dawned on him. As incredulous as it sounded, somehow the coat was making him feel things.

Sam wanted to take the coat off of the passenger seat and throw it outside of the car. He wanted to rush home and forget all of this had happened. He couldn’t bring himself to do it, though. He told himself that it was because he wasn’t certain the jacket would have the same effect on another person, although he mildly suspected he was going crazy.

With an exasperated sigh, Sam found himself pulling out of the parking lot and on his way back to his apartment. He forced his concentration to the road, and fought the irresistible urge to look at the seat next to him. Soon, Sam was pulling into his street, and parking in front of his apartment.

Sam put the car in park and rested his forehead on the top of the steering wheel for a moment. He thought about what happened and he knew he had to get rid of the jacket.

Sam’s contemplation was interrupted for the third time that day by that shrieking noise. Sam jumped up and yanked the cell phone from its holder.

“What?!” he yelled into the phone.

“Jeez! Bite my head off! I just wanted to know where the hell you are, because Claire and I are waiting here!”

“I’ll be right there!” Sam roared, and grabbed the jacket from the passenger seat. He felt a slight tremble run through his fingers, up his arm, and into the rest of his body, as he touched the warm, slick fabric. How can fabric be warm? he questioned. He turned his attention back to the phone conversation.

“What’s that? Sorry, Claire said something to me. What did you say?”

Sam stood outside the car and pulled the jacket around his shoulders, relishing in the sheer calmness that had surged in waves through his entire body. Lowering his head, he spoke in an even, velvet voice, “We’ll be right there, sweetie.”







1,956 words





© Copyright 2005 spidey (spidergirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/932303-The-Jacket