*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/932566-Circle-of-Friends---Cpt-1
Rated: 18+ · Draft · Friendship · #932566
A chapter in a book about teenage friends.
The following is a chapter in a book I'm writing for the
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#921408 by Not Available.


Katie’s knees were glued to the steering wheel as she gingerly applied blue eye shadow to her lids. Perched on her right shoulder, held into place with her crocked neck was a cell phone she received for her sixteenth birthday just two weeks ago. “What do you mean you aren’t coming?” she yelled into the phone. “No. Let’s try this again,” She gave a sharp yank on the steering wheel, swerving to the right, almost hitting a Ford Expedition. ” You idiot!” she yelled even louder. “No. Not you.” She told Juliana in the phone. “Now, what was I saying? Oh yes. You are coming. Patrick will be there. You have to come.’

Patrick was only a little cute, unless you were a mom. All moms loved Patrick. He kept his hair short, clean cut clothing, very respectful and always said “ma’am” or “sir” when speaking to adults. Something he picked up at Katie and Juliana loved him for different reasons. He had a great sense of humor, he was always their for them, but his parents were rich. Subsequently, he always had money. He liked spending it on the girls. Parents trusted Patrick. Having Patrick around meant you could be gone the entire day and not be made to phone in every two hours. His presence practically guaranteed you could stay out past curfew, and, you cold relax, money wasn’t a problem.

Patrick took Katie and Juliana to their first Dashboard Confessional concert. A privilege cemented by Patrick’s attendance.



*************************************


The bonfire was a weekly event throughout the entire summer. Some unknown individual ignited it at dusk and it was quickly surrounded by bikini clad girls and shirtless guys. Cheap beer in bottles and cans crammed into icy coolers, alcohol optional, but always resent. Katie and Juliana weren’t usually allowed to go to the lake on Friday evenings when the sandy shores were marked with the footprints, and back prints of promiscuous teenagers. At least three Friday’s of the summer, the girls fabricated an elaborate lie and snuck down to the fire instead; The first Friday, the Friday after the Fourth of July weekend, and the last Friday of the summer. Tonight was the first Friday night. Juliana had an entire year to dream up a workable lie. Jay had to come.

Since the girls weren’t allowed to go to the fire, Patrick had decided they create their own fire, on Saturday night, in a secluded part of the lake, just the three of them. Occasionally, they would invite a friend or two. Almost every other Saturday evening belonged to the three of them. Arriving after a movie, or a night of bowling, their mini fire would round out the night.

“Hey Katie.” Said Drake Green.

“Hey.” Katie replied, smiling, her heart skipping a beat. Drake was the town hottie. “How are you?” trying not to sound nervous.

“Fine.” He looked at her for a long moment, sending shivers of excitement to her stomach. “ Sooooo…. You’re officially a junior?” He reached out and brushed her chin with a finger. Drake was officially a senior. And a popular one too. A multi talented athlete he ran track, played number one on the tennis team, and was the third baseman for the school’s baseball. Any girl was honored to get a smile in their direction from Drake.

“Yes.. Soooo…. what are you doing this summer?” Anything to keep the conversation going.

“Ummm,” he took a long pull on his bottle of Bud Light. “Lifeguard. At Bloomfield’s. Thirty hours a week. I’ll play a few tournaments, in tennis, just to keep my game on. Coach has us playing in a team tournament. thing.”

“Oh.” My uncle is staying with us; I’ve got to watch my little cousins while he works. They’re brats. Spoiled brats. My uncle lost his wife two years ago and I don’t know, he wants to move in with us for a while. So, I’m stuck watching them.”

Well,” he said, moving in closer, his smile spreading. “You should bring the boys to the pool.”

“Don’t you have to be a member? “ Knowing full and well you did.

“Yeah, but I can get you in.”

She returned his smile and took one step in. “Well, since I have an inside connection, I guess I should.”

A strong arm wrapped around Katie’s neck and she turned her head in its direction.

“Patrick!” They hugged tightly. She pulled back and eyed him up and down. “You are looking fine.” She growled.

“You too! Your braces are gone! And where are your glasses?”

“Contacts.” Looking over at Drake she said, “Drake, Patrick Patrick, Drakes.” She introduced the two. They shook hands. “We already know each other. “ She noticed a slight bit of tension, even though they both wore smiles.

“Hey sweetie.” Juliana said, hugging Katie. She hung on a little longer, smiling. “Patrick came by and picked me up. Got me off restriction” Pinching his dimpled smile “With that sweet adorable smile of his.” She pulled Patrick in so she had them on either side of her. “What would I do without you guys?”

Katie grabbed her hand and dragged her away, walking towards the beer cooler. “He asked me to go swimming.” Kicking up large amounts of sand.

“Whaaat? Are you kidding? Every girl wanted to spend time with Drake. A twinge of jealousy ran through Jay’s veins and then was gone. Living by proxy, through Katie, would be a great second. “No way!

“Yep.” She reached in and grabbed three beers, handing her best friend one. Together, they walked over to the boys. Patrick snatched his.

What a great summer this was going to be. Katie had her driver’s license, Patrick was in town, so what if she had to baby sit her bratty nephews, they had just landed her a swim with the hottest guy at Parker Lane High. Yup, according to Katie Morgan, things were definitely looking bright as the morning sun.
© Copyright 2005 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/932566-Circle-of-Friends---Cpt-1