*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/935644-McCulloch-Thoughts
Rated: E · Other · Music · #935644
Covers Jimmy's last months with Wings.
McCulloch Thoughts


4 June 1976

Dear Journal,

Today is my 23rd birthday and I have received you as a birthday gift from my mum. My name is Jimmy McCulloch and I am the lead guitarist in Wings.

Wings
Paul McCartney: Bass, Piano, Vocals
Linda McCartney: Keyboards, Vocals
Denny Laine: Guitar, Vocals
Jimmy McCulloch: Lead Guitar, Vocals
Joe English: Drums, Vocals

We've been touring the United States for around a month now. Everywhere we have gone, people have raved about the show that we put on. One reviewer stated, "Nevermind the Beatles, Wings is just a good band, and their show is something completely different." I really enjoy touring. In fact, it is the part of being a musician that I like best. I am really glad that Paul allowed me to perform my song "Medicine Jar" on tour. Anytime Paul McCartney lets you do your own song on an album or tour; it's an amazing accomplishment. Anyway, on to today. We did a concert in St. Paul-Minneaplis, Minnesota just a couple hours ago. Before the show, I had a birthday party. I received a lot of cool gifts but my favorite gift would have to be a custom guitar that was made just for me. I got a birthday cake shoved into my face. That tasted pretty good. Mmm birthday cake. After the party, it was time to get cleaned up and ready to go on stage. The show went down really well. Just before I was about to introduct "Medicine Jar", the crowd sang happy birthday to me. I was touched and had to hold back a few tears of joy. Well I think we're getting ready to head to the next city.

- Jimmy



23 June 1976

Dear Journal,

After tonight, the Wings Over America tour will be complete. I will be sad when it ends. I have had alot of memories on this tour. Like the time when Denny, a few roadies and I took turns piloting our private airplane on the basis of a book that Denny picked up called "Anyone Can Fly." After putting the plane in a tailspin a few times, McCartney learned that we took turns flying the plane and had actually piloted it for a few weeks before that. He was bloody pissed to say the least. Of course, the after concert parties were crazy. There was row and row of coke, pot, and anything else that you wanted. Good fucking shit right there. All of our concerts have been sellouts and people go bloody crazy. It's like Beatlemania all over again! Each time that I'm up on stage and I look over at Paul, I think, "Bloody hell, this guy used to be a Beatle and here I am, the lead guitarist for his band. I must be pretty damn good." I really liked the song selection that McCartney picked for the tour; I was diappointed when I saw that "Junior's Farm" wasn't on the list. Out of all the songs, my favorites would have to be Medicine Jar (of course), Call Me Back Again (This song is great because it has alot of riffs and solos and I love strutting my stuff on lead guitar), Magneto and Titanium Man (Neat, fast solo in the middle and some cool riffs), Go Now (Beautiful solo in the middle bit, I really get into this one), My Love (This song showcases my ability to play the slow, romantic type of solo. Up until this tour, I've been regarded as a lead guitarist who can only do the hard rocker solos. I fucking love proving the bloody critics wrong! I think that the My Love solo is my favorite out of all the ones I have done), Time To Hide (Neat duel between my lead guitar and Denny's harmonica), Letting Go (Nice introduction into the song and nice little solo in the middle), Band On The Run (I love the slide guitar riff in the middle), and finally Soily (Gotta love those fast riffs and solos!).

- Jimmy
© Copyright 2005 MedicineJar (medicinejar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/935644-McCulloch-Thoughts