*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/936314-Big-Eddie
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(105)
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Crime/Gangster · #936314
A quick piece of flash fiction introducing characters in a short story I'm writing.
"Okay, let's get this over with." Big Eddie took a step towards Woody, pushing him further back into the alley. Smoke curled around Eddie's face as he took a long drag on his cigarette. He hoped this would add to his mystique, however the resulting coughing fit ruined the effect.

"The boss said I should start smoking these things for to help make me look tough. But, all's they do is to make me sick." He stuck out a thick, grayish tongue as his gag reflex kicked in. Making only a faint gurgling sound, he looked full-well like he was going to puke at any second.

Eddie regained his composure. When he tried to speak, another severe coughing fit overcame him causing his face to turn purple. Woody winced, half expecting the swelling head to explode.

Eddie stood there for a good two minutes with his hands on his knees, his enormous shoulders heaving as his lungs desperately drew in fresh air. Drool flowed freely from his mouth and formed a small puddle at his feet.

For a brief moment Woody considered running. But he was too scared. Besides, the behemoth in front of him practically had the entire alley blocked.

When Eddie finally looked up at Woody, his face was splotchy and tears were running down his cheeks.

"I don't wanna..." a couple of less dramatic coughs.

"I don't wanna have to..." one big final cough into his fist, like the grand finale of a fireworks display. As Big Eddie pulled his hand away from his mouth, a thin stream of spittle ran from his wrist to his thick bottom lip. It pulled tight, snapped, and fell against his navy-blue sports coat.

"I don't wanna have to do this all messy like."
© Copyright 2005 flogamocker (k.keith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/936314-Big-Eddie