*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/943852-Celebrity-Affiliation
by Boats
Rated: 13+ · Editorial · Entertainment · #943852
This is about how people relate to celebrities.
I just watched a story on one of those infotainment shows that was about how one of Anna Kornicova's (i don't know how to spell that) stalkers got to cross examine her because he swam across a body of water to her home naked. He was representing himself so he asked her a bunch of questions and eagerly watched her reactions. He was rather articulate and I have a bias toward people who represent themselves in court.
Even though I identified with him I still thought it was a hole in the legal system that allowed a stalker to have such liberty with his victim. After all, the desire to talk to and see this woman was essencially the crime he had committed, and here he was fulfilling those criminal desires in a court room.
After this story there was another about how the pretty child star from "Growing Pains" had been caught drunk driving. She was being interviewed poorly yet her responses were clear, concise and relatable. I felt a moment of empathy for her and thought for a moment that I'd like to meet her some time.
There are often celebrities who seem dumb or impotent or simply vile. I really don't care for the majority of celebrities. But, there are a few that I imagine I could relate to.
Of course, this is part of the purpose of entertainers to begin with. We are encouraged to identify with them during the moments of their performance, so it seems natural to do so after the performance has ended.
It's strange then that this becomes a crime when it is acted upon. Here I am, an fairly normal citizen at home on a saturday swilling beer and empathizing with television stars, watching a guy be convicted of taking that empathy to heart.
Extremity is ultimately the only crime. Every thing can be done as long as it is not done to extremity.
On those charges myself and all of my cohorts should be convicted, and so should every true rock and roller.
There I go again relating to celebrities. Consider it a repeated offense. I'm listening to Johnny Cash right now and relating to him. It's a never ending cycle of legal sin.
© Copyright 2005 Boats (boats at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/943852-Celebrity-Affiliation