*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/945288-As-Big-As-You-Can-Carry
by dmack
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #945288
Time to pick out the halloween pumpkin. How big is yours?
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
image designed by emerin-liseli


Billy and his father got out of the car. Billy was excited. He was going to pick out his pumpkin to make this year's jack-o-lantern. "Ok, Billy, there they are. Pick out the one you want. Remember, not too big."

"Yeah, yeah." Billy looked around. He couldn't believe how many pumpkins there were to chose from. There were small ones, big ones and monster large ones.

His father saw him looking at the largest pumpkins. "Remember, Billy, you can have the biggest one you can carry."

"Aw Dad, but this one is the best." Billy really wanted the biggest pumpkin on the lot. He had to try. He tried to lift it, but he couldn't even get his arms around it.

His father laughed. "It's too big, Billy. Remember our deal, you have to be able to carry it to the car by yourself."

Billy moved to the next group of pumpkins. He could get his arms around them, but they were still too heavy to lift. He tried them all. Maybe one of them was lighter than the others. As he moved from pumpkin to pumpkin, he noticed another boy watching him. The boy spoke, "Hi, I'm Jake."

Billy stood up, "Hi, I'm Billy."

"What cha doin'?"

"My dad says I can have the biggest one I can carry. I have to carry it to the car by myself."

Jake said, "That's what my dad says too. Did you try those over there?"

The two boys looked at the next pile of pumpkins. They each chose a pumpkin and picked it up. They smiled at each other. The pumpkins were heavy but they could carry them.

Billy looked around to find his father, "Look, Dad, I picked this one."

Jake said, "Hey, is that your dad? He's talkin' to my dad."

The two men stood smiling with pride. "Look at that," said Jake's dad as he paid for his son's pumpkin, "Each year the pumpkin gets bigger."

Each boy happily carried his prize to his father's car. They waved to each other as they headed home.

© Copyright 2005 dmack (mdmackey at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/945288-As-Big-As-You-Can-Carry