*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/949913-It-Rains-It-Pours
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Entertainment · #949913
Never can get it on paper
It Rains It Pours


My brain is always flooded with characters and no place to put them, so I make notes. Sometimes I’ll find myself building these characters, making them come to life, but still I have no story in which they can live.

Finally, in a rush while I’m running in the rain to my car a story idea comes to my head. Oh my God! It’s perfect, and I have just the character to play the victim, old Sour Sam, and I could make Sweet Suzie the villain it would be perfect! But the rain is pouring so hard I can’t see my car. Come on I have to find my car! I have to write this down before I forget! I just know I’ll forget because the rain will wash it all away.

Why couldn’t this have come while I was on the train with notepad in hand? I knew it was there, just waiting for the right moment to jump out at me, and I wanted to be ready. I felt it building; the whole scenario, how it would begin, the climax, even how it would end.

This rain is so cold, and I’m starting to shake, but I can still feel the ideas jumping around in my head. There’s my car! Hold on to that idea! Just a little longer I'm almost there. There's a notepad and pen on the front seat just waiting to allow the release of captured thoughts to the custody of paper. This is such a great storyline; I can’t wait to get started. The kids are over at their aunt’s house tonight, so the timing is perfect. I’ll be able to work on it all night.

Oh, I dropped my keys!

My hair and clothing is soaked, and the rain is pouring down my face, because of the wind, this umbrella seems to have provided me with little protection. My feet are soaked because the water is up over my shoes. My keys are somewhere in this water. I am feeling around with my hands where I thought they would be. My fingers are starting to stiffen up from the wet cold.

Oh there they are!

Just two more minutes and I can write down these ideas. Quick get in the car turn on the heat. This stupid umbrella doesn’t want to cooperate. I’ll be home ‘bout the time I dry off. Fortunately, I keep a towel in the back seat and I put it to good use.

As I drive out of the parking lot my eyes catch the note pad and realize there was something I wanted to write down.

Now what was it?

© Copyright 2005 Pen In Hand (peninhand at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/949913-It-Rains-It-Pours