*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/953379-Great-Books
Rated: 13+ · Other · Entertainment · #953379
Updates and intro of great books
This is basically an item describing some books I've read, which I'd like to share with others. I'll try to update it weekly.
Book: To Sir With Love
Author:ER Braithwaite
About:
This sweet book could be called a selective autobiography of the author’s school-teaching days. Highlighting the loving relationship of students and their idolized teacher, the book treats an explosive topic like racism with finesse. The best part of the book is the narration---simple, honest and moving, something not commonly seen.

This is the heart-warming story of a Black man who is subjected to racial discrimination on more than one occasion, even in the post World War II era. He is forced to become a teacher at a school in London, for want of a job. Initially, he is shocked and disgusted at the behavior of the students, especially of the highest form in the school. However, when he decides to take charge, the students cannot help but change. He wins them over with love and affection, and turns them into well-mannered young men and women ready to face a future full of challenges.


Book:The Wish List
Author:Eoin Colfer
Type:Spiritual..or not?
About:
This hilarious book is about Meg Finn, a young girl who is killed by accident, and is on the road to heaven…..or hell. But the real problem arises when she gets stuck in between (bad deeds=good deeds), and her only chance to get to heaven is to help a helpless, cranky old man complete the tasks on his wish list. Before her time runs out. The competition goes on, with St. Peter (with a computer) doing nothing at all, and Hell’s No.2 demon (bearing the weird name of Beelzebub) doing everything to hinder her progress and bring her to hell. Where will she end up?
An extremely entertaining book, for people of all ages.


Book:The Count of Monte Cristo
Author:Alexander Dumas
About:
This is the story of Edmond Dantes—a young sailor, soon to be captain of his ship, and about to be married to his true love, Mercedes. But his seemingly perfect life takes on a disastrous turn when he is convicted on faked charges, on the day of his wedding, and without a trial, condemned to solitary confinement in the hellish Chateau d’If. In the dungeons of his isolated prison, he befriends Abbe Faria, who is dying of a hereditary illness. Here he learns of a hidden treasure, buried on the island of Monte Cristo. By a miraculous chance, he manages to escape unscathed, and after much trouble, transforms himself into the Count of Monte Cristo.
But life for him will never be what it once was. As he retraces his steps back into time, his next plan begins to unfold. Disguised as the wealthy Count, he helps his deserving friends, and also avenges himself to the people who made fourteen years of his life a living hell…



© Copyright 2005 Sapphire (sapphire21 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/953379-Great-Books