*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/957630-HE-FELT-A-CHILL--OF-MORTALITY
by Nyoni
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #957630
An acrostic tale of a rider and his motorbike.
HE FELT A CHILL OF MORTALITY

High summer heat was melting the tar on the road.
Edward’s motor cycle was approaching the hair-pin bend at a high speed.

Feeling the front wheel starting to slip,
Edward grabbed a handful of front brake in an attempt to slow down.
Loose stones and liquid tar resulted in Edward parting company from his motor cycle,
Tumbling along the road out of control and with limbs flailing in all directions.

All Edward could think about was what his velocity would be when he ran out of road.

Catching his legs in the grass on the verge caused his body to swing around.
Hitting a soft earth roadside embankment with his left shoulder stopped his un-coordinated tumbling.
Immediate reaction was concern for his motor cycle which was momentarily out of sight.
Lazily he started taking stock of his position;
Limbs and body felt all right – perhaps it was time to get to his feet and find his motor cycle.

Ordinarily getting up from the ground presented Edward with no physical problems but
Frightening pain shot across his upper body as he started to move.

Maybe a little rest and further stock-take would not be a bad idea.
Organs seem functional – he was breathing and was aware of his pulse.
Rising slowly to his feet he stood swaying until he leant against the embankment for support.
Trousers, jackets, gloves and boots were torn, scuffed and in need of replacement.
Assistance would definitely be needed before Edward could move from the roadside.
Luckily a fellow biker who had been following Edward was walking toward him.
Interest in Edward’s condition quickly changed to interest in the now wrecked motor cycle.
Trashed by crashing into a large and very solid boulder just feet from the life-saving earth embankment.
Yet again Edward had been lucky. He felt a sudden chill as he realised why he was called “Lucky Eddy”.
© Copyright 2005 Nyoni (nyoni at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/957630-HE-FELT-A-CHILL--OF-MORTALITY