*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/958911-Youve-Got-Some-Growing-To-Do
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #958911
We have to grow a little before we go outside to play.
One sunny day, not too long ago, Baby Robin wanted to go outside to play. From high in his nest, he could see little ants playing hide and seek. He watched caterpillars playing choo-choo; and butterflies and bees playing tag with the flowers that blew in the breeze. Baby Robin wanted so much to go play with all of them.
“You’re not old enough to go out and play, Baby,” Mother Robin said. “You’ve got some growing to do. But, soon you can go out. You’ll see.”
“I don’t want to grow anymore. I want to go out now,” Baby thought.
Then, one day Mother Robin had to go out to get some lunch. “Now children, clean up the nest and stay inside. I’ll be back soon,” she said.
Baby Robin went to the door and waved good-bye to his mother. “I’ve just got to go outside and play,” Baby whispered. “I’ll come back inside before Mother gets home.”
So, he put on his hat and headed for the door. “Where are you going, Baby?” Sister Robin asked.
“I’m going outside to play,” Baby said.
“We’re suppose to stay inside,” Brother Robin said. “Mother said we’ve got some growing to do.”
“I’m tired of growing,” Baby said. “I want to play.”
“You’ll get into trouble,” said Sister Robin.
“Yes, Mother will be angry with you,” said Brother Robin.
“I’ll be home before Mother gets back,” Baby smiled. Then he walked over to the door and leaped. He began flapping his wings the way his mother does. But, he couldn’t fly, and he knew he was falling. Baby Robin was frightened and didn’t know what to do. So, he covered his eyes and fell and fell and fell.
All of a sudden, THUD. He landed on sleeping Bonnie Bunny. “Baby Robin, what are you doing?” yawned Bonnie. “ You’re not old enough to come out to play.”
“It’s a very nice day, and I’m tired of growing. I want to play,” Baby Robin said.
“Bonnie, it’s lunch time,” Mother Bunny called.
“I’ve got to go home,” Bonnie Bunny said. “You better go back inside, too.”
“I’ll go back home before my mother gets back,” Baby Robin smiled. And, he ran to catch up with some ants. “Can I play?” Baby Robin asked the ants.
“We’re going to a picnic,” the ants told him. “But, you can come.”
“A picnic? That’s a good idea. But, Mother is bringing me back some lunch,” Baby said.
“Come on,” said the ants. “You’ll be back before your mother gets home.”
So, Baby Robin shook his head and giggled as he joined the parade of ants. They walked a long time, sang songs, and played guessing games. But, Baby Robin wasn’t used to having so much fun. He got very tired and sleepy. “I need my nap,” Baby Robin said.
“We can’t stop. We’ll miss the picnic,” said Annie Ant.
“That’s okay. I’ll catch up,” Baby Robin said as he curled up in the tall soft grass. “I can only sleep for a little while. I must get home before my mother gets back,” Baby thought. So he yawned, and as he closed his eyes, he smiled and thought about the fun he had with the ants. As Baby Robin went to sleep he thought, “I knew I was ready to play. I knew I didn’t need to grow anymore.” He went to sleep.
A loud, loud noise woke up Baby Robin, and he raised his head to look around. As he rubbed his sleepy eyes, he saw a man pushing a cart. The cart was making the awful noise. Baby watched the cart, as it rolled over the grass, cut it off and spit it out the other side.
“That must be the lawn mower Mother talked about,” Baby cried. “I’ve got to get out of here.” Baby started to run. He ran and ran and just when he thought he was safe, Baby turned around to see the man and the lawn mower right behind him.
“Run over here,” yelled Stanley Squirrel. Baby Robin ran as fast as he could. Then, he jumped as far as he could. He made it just in time, too. The lawn went right over the spot where Baby took his nap.
Plop! Something hit Baby Robin on top of his head. And, it hurt! He looked up and saw he was under an acorn tree. “Is this yours?” a butterfly asked and dropped a torn and dirty hat in front of Baby Robin. During his nap, Baby Robin’s hat fell off his head, and the man pushed the lawn mower over it.
“My nice new hat. What will Mother say?” Baby Robin cried. “Oh, no. Mother! I must be home before she gets back.”
Baby began to run again, but he was so tired. He saw a caterpillar. “Will you take me home?” Baby asked. “I must get there before my mother gets back.”
“I’m much too small,” the caterpillar said. “But, I passed a turtle. Maybe he can help.”
Baby Robin ran until he met the turtle. “Will you take me home? I must get there before my mother get back,” Baby said.
“I’m much too slow,” the turtle said. “But, I passed your house. It’s not much farther.”
So, Baby ran and ran some more. Finally, he reached the tree where his family lived. He looked up at the nest. It was high above the ground.
“Now, what do I do?” Baby thought. “I can’t fly.”
But, he had to try. So, he jumped and flapped and flapped and jumped, but he just couldn’t fly.
Then he saw Mother Squirrel going up the tree. “Will you take me home? I must get there before my mother gets back,” Baby cried.
“Yes, I will,” said Mother Squirrel. “Climb on my back. I’ll take you home.” And, she did.
Baby Robin walked through the door and went straight to bed. As he thought about the lawn mower, his new hat, and the lump on his head from the acorn, big tears ran down Baby’s face.
When Mother Robin came home with lunch, Baby Robin ate and ate. He was hungry and very happy to be home.
“Who wants to go outside and play?” Mother Robin asked.
“Not me, Mother, I do have some growing to do,” Baby said. Then he kissed his mother and went back to his nice, safe bed.

The End
© Copyright 2005 Nancy Gee (nancg at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/958911-Youve-Got-Some-Growing-To-Do