*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/960033-The-Last-Alarm-KnightWATCH-Chapter-6
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #960033
The memorial service... a day of small steps, big stands, crumbling walls and realizations
NOTE: sections in red may be changed to match other parts of the story

         “SkyKnight Two, Dispatch.” Sulu let go of his transmit button as he brought the engines to flight power. Scanning the gauges, he saw everything was as it should be.

         “Dispatch to Sky Two, go ahead.”

         “David,” Sulu said over the intercom, “hit your mic switch, tell them we’re lifting off, how many people on board, an hour and 50 minutes of fuel, and that we’ll be taking a north side detour to Marshall Field.”

         “You sure?”

         “Do it, bro.”

         David pushed the microphone trigger in his right hand. “Dispatch… dispatch, this is SkyKnight Two.” Letting go of the button, he looked over to Sulu.

         “Good job, man, keep going.”

         “Dispatch, this is SkyKnight Two.” David’s voice calmed down as the old radio rhythms started coming back to him. “We’re lifting off from Carrolton, four people on board, an hour and 50 minutes of fuel.”

         “Sky two, dispatch copies all.” Despite some scratchiness on the radio, David and Sulu both heard the smile in the dispatcher’s voice. “Please confirm your destination.”

         “Dispatch, SkyKnight Two is en route to Marshall Field… with a north side deviation.” Sulu saw the quizzical look on David’s face, but didn’t answer his question.

         “Copy all, SkyKnight Two,” a different voice replied. “And from all of us at Dispatch, David… it’s good to hear you back in the saddle again.”

         “Thank you, Claudia…” David let go of his transmit button before Claudia Morgan could hear him cry. “Sulu… this isn’t how I wanted to come back.”

         “You’re welcome, David. Show you lifting off at 10:47. Knight Dispatch clear.”

         “David,” André said over the intercom, “this isn’t the kind of mission anyone wants to return to the service with. But today is important… because you CAN return, even in this small capacity.”

         “He’s right,” Emily added. “This is a day for you to remember, David. It’s a day you can point to as progress. And we’re all doing this to remember friends as well.”

         “Thanks, folks,” David rasped. He took several minutes to compose himself. “Sulu,” he asked when he got his voice under control, “what’s this ‘north side detour’ that we’re taking?”

         “We’re making a little stop along the way. You’ll understand once we get there. Those flowers in your lap are part of it.” David looked over at Sulu, but the pilot made no further comments. After several minutes of silent flying, David spotted a speck in the distance.

         “Sulu, are you expecting company?”

         “That’s a negative. You see something, bro?”

         “Yeah, about 10 o’clock or so.” Sulu looked off to their left. “You see it yet?”

         “No, not – yeah, I got him now. You’ve got some really good eyes, David. Looks like another helicopter. Maybe he’s going the same place we are.”

         “The ‘north side detour’, Sulu?”

         “Exactly.” Sulu switched frequencies on one of the radios. “Marshall tower, this is Lifeguard seven zero two sierra kilo. Do you have an ident on traffic at my 10 o’clock?”

         “Lifeguard two sierra kilo,” crackled in Sulu’s ear, “stand by one.” Sulu tapped his fingers on the cyclic, the control stick in his right hand, as he waited for the tower to answer his question. “Lifeguard two sierra kilo, sorry about the delay. Traffic at your ten is another Lifeguard aircraft, tail number one three two lima echo.”

         “Marshall tower, Lifeguard two sierra kilo. Copy and thank you. I’m clearing off this frequency for medical unicom, will monitor company frequency.” Sulu changed frequencies and pressed his transmit button. “Life Eagle Two from SkyKnight Two. Check your deep four o’clock.”

         “Copy, Knight Two. We heard you talking to the tower. You making a side trip on the way to Starflight?”

         “That’s affirmative,” replied Sulu. “We’ll be making a small airdrop. If you don’t mind, we’ll form up on your five o’clock.”

         “We’d be honored, sir. We’re also doing a small airdrop. It would help us if you could break away as we approach.”

         “Sky Two copies all. Once you’re clear, we’ll move in. Switching to tower freq for a moment.” Sulu changed the frequency with his left hand. “Marshall tower, Lifeguard two sierra kilo. We are joining up with Lifeguard two lima echo and entering the east side of the Summit pattern. We’ll be there momentarily, then proceed to Starflight FBO at Marshall Field.”

         “Lifeguard two sierra kilo,” the tower controller replied, “Good copy all. Advise when clear of the Summit pattern and inbound Marshall.” Sulu was about to change the frequency when the tower controller added, “and God Bless”.

         “Thank you, tower,” Sulu sighed over the radio. Then he switched to the intercom. “Slight change of plans, folks.” He pulled up behind and to the right of a green and silver helicopter. “Turns out Life Eagle Two is doing the same thing we are. They’ll go in first; we’ll follow after they clear the area.”

         “SULU,” David said in exasperation, “care to clue me in as to what’s going on? And what is all of this stuff about airdrops?”

         “What we’re doing, David…” Sulu had to take a breath and compose himself. “We’re going to be flying over the crash site. Once we get there…” David lifted the bouquet of roses resting in his lap. “Yup. Open that window in your door… and drop those roses out.”

         “Oh, God… th – thank you, Jim.” Moving his mic away from his mouth, David started crying again. For a short moment, Sulu put his left hand on David’s shoulder, then returned it to the aircraft’s collective control stick.

         “Eagle Two from Knight Two,” he broadcasted. “Breaking away to starboard. You’re clear for approach.”

         “Copy, Knight Two,” rasped in Sulu’s headset. “And thank you.” Jim Hiroshi banked SkyKnight 2 into a right-hand turn, pulling away from the other helicopter. As he completed a long, slow circle to keep his distance, both he and David saw Life Eagle 2 maneuver into a hover over the crash site. They saw a small bundle fall away from the other aircraft before it moved off.

         “Knight Two from Eagle Two”, crackled in Sulu’s ear. “We’re clear of the scene; we’ll form up on you when you depart.” Momentarily overcome with emotion, Jim Hiroshi could only click his mic button twice in reply. Words would not come to his mouth.

         When Sulu settled SkyKnight Two into a hover, all four people on board got a good look at the crash site. Inside an area roped off with crime scene tape, the remains of StarMed 3 were still strewn about. Investigators, some of whom waved at the helicopter hovering above them, were walking into the area from beyond the rope line. One of them shouted to the others. As one, they turned around and walked back outside the barrier.

         “David… it’s time.” David gave the wrapping on the bouquet a kiss, letting the rose petals wipe tears from his cheek. Then he opened the window, stuck his hand outside and let the bouquet fall to the ground.

         “Marshall tower,” Sulu said on the radio, “Lifeguard seven zero two sierra kilo, flight of two, departing Summit Hill pattern for Marshall Field.” As the helicopter started forward, David looked down to see two investigators flashing a thumb’s up sign, while a third held her baseball cap over her heart.



         “David… are you absolutely certain you don’t want to come inside?”

         “Emily, I can’t come inside.”

         “Now look, bub, don’t let your legs trap you out here. We can get a cart for you to ride in with no problem. I just have to wave –”

         “It’s not that, Emily. I don’t belong in there.” SkyKnight Two was sitting on the tarmac at Marshall Field. David was still in the copilot’s seat, with Emily standing next to his open door. “The planning sessions are for the flight crews, which description, despite my current costume, does not include me. It does include you, though, so get going. Look,” he said as he leaned closer, “it’s a nice day, sunny and not too warm. So long as there’s a decent breeze, I’ll be fine.”

         Looking up from his perch in the cockpit, David gazed out at the other aircraft on the ramp outside Starflight FBO. On their right sat the Hampton County Sheriff’s Patrol. Life Eagle Two had landed to their left, and on the other side of them sat StarMed 4. Two more StarMed aircraft were expected to join them, and other aircraft beyond that. The FBO (short for Fixed Base Operator) provided fuel, food, maintenance and hangar facilities for aircraft. Its various amenities, including conference rooms, made it the perfect place for the helicopters in the memorial fly-by to rendezvous and finalize their plans.

         “In that case, I’m staying here with you,” Emily said as she leaned against the open copilot’s door. “While we’re waiting, you can tell me all about that cutie on the Carrolton helipad with you this morning.” She looked up with a mischievous grin that seemed to say, You’re not getting out of this one, buster.

         “Oh geez,” David blurted. “She’s just a friend –”

         “Bull-scheise,” she interrupted, emphasizing the German word for “excrement.” “Mister, no mere friend reacts the way she did this morning. There is obviously something going on between the two of you.” David looked down to see Emily grinning from ear to ear. “Just how serious is this budding romance?”

         “Okay, okay,” David chuckled. “You can put away the bare bulb and back down a few degrees. She and I are friends, and may be heading for more. But I’m not sure if either of us is ready yet.” Hell, David said to himself, I know she’s not ready. After all, she’s still wearing that damn necklace and ring from Jeremy. Until she gets rid of those, I don’t stand a chance.

         “David, don’t play naive with me. Unless you’re either a chicken or a fool, you’re already at ‘more’. And I don’t see you as being a fool, bub. Look… I saw it in her actions this morning. You two are already more than friends, even if both of you try to deny it. Hell, David,” she began to shout as another helicopter came in to land. “I think you already know this. So pluck out your feathers and take a chance!”

         “I did, in a way,” David yelled over the noise from StarMed 2. “The day of my wreck, after you guys left the ER.”

         “WHAT?”

         “Wait a few minutes.” David leaned back in his seat, waiting for the noise from StarMed 2’s engines to abate. “Finally,” he sighed as a semblance of quiet returned to the aircraft parking ramp. “Okay, that’s better. As I was saying…” David leaned forward again. “You guys dropped me off in the trauma room at Carrolton. When I realized one of the nurses treating me was Melinda, I took a chance. Hell, let’s be honest. It was fear and desperation that made me talk.”

         “Desperation and fear? What were you afraid of, David? Dying?”

         “A little bit, yes. I wasn’t… all that sure… I’d have a chance…”

         “It’s okay, David.” Emily reached up and took David’s hand in hers. “I know that was a scary time for you. If you don’t want to talk –”

         “I told her,” David blurted out, “that I hadn’t wanted it to be that way. Emily… at that point, I had been wanting to meet her for several months. Something more than just a ‘hi, how are you…’ or ‘we found this patient…’ thing. I wanted to talk to her over coffee, find out more about her, the whole nine yards of introduction. But ‘Charlie Chicken Shit’ here had yet to do anything about it. Only when he was on a trauma table,” he said with self-disgust, “hurt and scared, did he… did I… open my freaking mouth. That,” he said, slapping his right hand on his right leg for emphasis, “was when I said what I hadn’t had the nerve to tell her in a polite conversation. Maybe some good has come out of it. But Emily… I’m not proud of what it took to get me to say something.”

         “Don’t give me that bullshit, mister.” This time, Emily’s anger was enough to override politeness. “Yeah, you were hurting. You were afraid of what was going to happen, and you certainly had reason to be. You had no idea if you were going to get better or worse. DESPITE all of that, you acted. Maybe you needed a healthy dose of fear to open your mouth, but you did it.

         “As for being ‘Charlie Chicken Shit’, as you so colorfully put it… if that were really the case, you never would have followed through. How long has it been since the accident? About four months or so?”

         “At least four, yes.”

         “Okay, we’ll use four months as a time frame. Back then, you barely knew her. But look at the situation now.” Emily started ticking points off on her fingers. “One, she’s a pretty regular visitor. Correct?”

         “Yes, along with several other people, including Jim Hollis and his wife. I don’t see how that proves –”

         “TWO, I saw exactly what she was doing to keep you steady on the helipad. That wasn’t any ‘lean on me’ hug, mister. There was passion as well as compassion. And the expression on your face said it was all mutual.

         “Three,” Emily whispered as she leaned closer, “she all but kissed you just before we lifted off. What was that –”

         “Excuse us folks.” Emily and David looked to the unexpected voice. The three-man crew of StarMed 2 stood a few feet away. “I don’t know if you guys are coming inside or not, but we’d like to thank you personally for coming today.” Over the next few minutes, handshakes and introductions were exchanged. As the pilot tried to excuse himself to go inside, Emily gave him a hug, then did the same with the medical crew.

         “Wait,” the flight nurse said as he looked again at David. “Weren’t you at Christi’s wake? Yeah, you’re the guy in the wheelchair. David, isn’t it?”

         “Yeah, I’m David Longfellow. I’m not actually part of the flight team. Hell, I’m only an EMT, and currently on the Injured Reserve list. I’m here today… well, I can’t really go into details. Let’s just say that I need to say my good-byes here.”

         “In that case,” replied paramedic Bob Secrist, “I’m glad you could be here. Is Christi a relative of yours?”

         “No, we’re not related. We were…. very close friends.” David looked away, afraid he might reveal his past with Christi.

         “David, if this is so important to you… Please, forgive me for asking this,” Bob said. “But if this is so important to you, what are you doing sitting out here instead of taking part in the planning sessions?

         “He has this crazy notion,” Emily butted in, “that he doesn’t belong in there. Says that since he’s not a regular member of the flight crew, his place is out here in the sun.” A scowl of concern came across her Amerasian features. “David, this isn’t something for you to go through alone. Please, come inside.”

         “Thanks, Emily. I understand and appreciate what you’re saying. But… there is this other little complication.” He gestured at his legs. “Remember all the whiffer dills we went through getting me in here? I don’t want to delay things by people having to load me back into this seat.”

         “Now that’s the David Longfellow I know. Always practical… even when he knows he shouldn’t be. I hope that cute nurse realizes what she’s in for.” Despite the emotions of the day, David couldn’t avoid blushing about Melinda.

         “David, how long before you can walk?”

         “I don’t have a clue, Bob. Hell, I’m barely able to stand up.”

         “You stood up just fine a little while ago, David. Granted, you were standing right next to ‘Nurse Cutie Pie’. Did she,” Emily leeringly teased, “give you some sort of extra strength?”

         “Now hold on a minute. There was a lot of other extra help.”

         “No, there wasn’t.” The joking tone left Emily’s voice. “You probably don’t realize this, but a good part of the time that you and Melinda were standing together on the helipad… no one else was touching you. Sulu and André were standing there ready to help, yes… but you and Melinda were doing all the work yourselves. And I don’t think she was doing all that much. David… you have no idea how proud I was, seeing you do that. You’re making more progress than you realize.”

         “Okay, I’m not taking ‘no’ for an answer.” Bob Secrist stepped directly up to David. “Even if I have to carry you… you’re joining us inside.” Seeing that Bob had the build of an NFL lineman, David decided the man could back up his insistence. David reluctantly rotated in his seat so his legs dangled out of the copilot’s door. “Smart choice, David. Hey, Felipe, step over here, okay?” Felipe Romero, Bob’s partner on StarMed 2, walked over. Putting his large hands under David’s arms, Bob helped him slide off the seat to the ground. Instinctively, Felipe steadied David at the waist. Once on the ground, David realized that Emily and the StarMed medicos were all roughly the same height. All three were slightly shorter than David, though Emily and Felipe were the beanpole antithesis of Bob.

         “Let’s go, David. Let’s walk inside.”

         “I… I don’t know if I can, Bob.”

         “And you won’t know until you try,” Emily chastised. Before David could say anything else, his right arm was slung over Bob’s shoulders. Emily did the same with David’s left arm. “I know I’m not Melinda Cutie Pie,” she said, “but I’ll do what I can to help you.”

         “Thanks, hon.” With trepidation, David shuffled his left foot. Then he moved his right. With jerky, halting motions, David started moving forward. “Damn,” he said with his fifth step. “I can’t get away from it.”

         “Get away from what?”

         “Here I am at an airport, Bob. I’m here to say good-bye to a friend. And what am I doing? Physical freaking therapy!” Emily gave him a light slap on the belly as she and Bob exploded in laughter.

         Just then, André Thibideaux stepped outside the FBO to stretch his legs. Looking towards the line of helicopters, he did a double-take at who was coming towards him. He ran inside to the conference room and yelled, “Everyone, come outside quick! You have to see this!”

         “André, settle down,” Jim Hiroshi admonished his flight nurse. “What in the world is going on?”

         “It’s David.” Before André could say anything else, Sulu had left the conference room at a dead run. “Come on, everyone! you have to see this!”

         “What is it?” The question came from StarMed 2’s pilot, Darren Wilcox.

         “Jim told you about our extra crew member, right?”

         “Yeah, the guy sitting in your copilot’s seat. Christi’s personal friend, who was injured in a wreck a few months ago and can’t walk. Is that right?”

         “Yes, that’s him.”

         “Okay, what’s he doing now that’s so stupendous?”

         “He’s walking! He’s being helped, but he’s walking!” As one, every crew member in the room moved to the doorway. André led a small parade through the lobby and onto the tarmac. They joined a stunned-silent Jim Hiroshi, watching David slowly and somewhat painfully make his way across the tarmac. André broke the silence.

         “Way to go, David!! Day-vid! Day-vid! Day-vid!” Soon everyone in the group was chanting his name. While David looked up in shock and embarrassment, Emily and Bob refused to let him stop. The closer he got, the louder the crowd yelled. By the time he reached the group, they were yelling so loud that no one heard StarMed 1 land.

         “Way to go, David!” Once David reached the cheering crowd, Emily Hargraves twirled around from under his arm to wrap him in a bear hug. “I know it’s not why you joined us today, buster. But it’s still a great result.” When the StarMed 1 crew walked up to the crowd and learned why everyone was cheering, they joined in.



         “Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. I’m Greg Koroucas, Director of Operations for StarMed Air Ambulance. On behalf of everyone in the StarMed family, thank you for joining us today as we say goodbye to three very special people.” The lights in the auditorium dimmed. On the corner of the stage, a spotlight shone on three flight helmets and three sets of flight boots on a small table. Behind each set was a memorial floral wreath.

         “Today, we say a final farewell to Paul Harris… Christi Pendwalton… and Anita Keller.” As each person was named, his or her portrait was projected on a stage-wide viewing screen. Assorted sobs and sighs were heard when each picture appeared. “We’ve come here to grieve our lost friends and loved ones, and to provide comfort and support. May our ceremonies this afternoon help us to find the strength to face the days and weeks to come.”

         Koroucas left the podium, making room for a short man in a gray suit. “Good afternoon, I’m Reverend Tom Donelly. I would ask that everyone bow their heads for the invocation.” He paused for a moment to let the audience members do so.

         “God our Loving Father, we gather today to remember three very special people. We ask that you welcome Paul, Christi and Anita into your Heavenly Kingdom. We pray you will bring comfort and strength in the days and weeks ahead to their families, friends and all whom they have touched. All of this we ask in your name. Amen.” The minister left the podium to a chorus of murmured “Amen’s” from the crowd.

         Near the back of the auditorium, Melinda and Stephanie sat with a group from the Carrolton ER. Somewhat jumbled emotionally by David’s flying, Melinda found herself easily flustered by the emotions of those around her. Before she realized it, Melinda had to wipe her eyes and blow her nose. Why is this affecting me so much? She asked her herself. I only knew these people in passing, but I’m acting like they were longtime friends. And why the Hell am I so worried about David? It’s not like I love him… Do I?



         “Thank you.” The assembled flight crews lifted their heads after a moment of silent prayer. “And from everyone at StarMed, thanks for joining us today.” The speaker was Dennis Marconi, StarMed’s chief pilot. “Most of the time, we’re competing against each other. But when the chips are down, when help is needed, we all give it, as witnessed by all of you being here.

         “Now, we need to finish organizing everything. Granted, we’re still short one aircraft…” David settled back in his chair, letting the details wash over him. At a white board on the wall, pilots were mapping out aircraft positions in the formation. Medical crews were mingling around the room. Once again, David was feeling out of place.

         “Hey, why the scowl?” David looked up to see a petite brunette in a StarMed flight suit. “Hi, I’m Frances Farrell. Mind if I join you?”

         “Uhm, no, not at all.”

         “Thanks. You looked a little lonely over here. I understand you’re not a flight medic, is that right?” As she sat down, David started explaining his friendship with Christi Pendwalton, and his need to say goodbye in the air. While leaving out the romantic/sensual details, he said enough to bring a few tears to the young lady’s eyes.

         “Ma’am… I hope you’re not crying on my account. Yes, Christi and I had a special friendship, and she helped me survive some very tough times. But today… all of this… this isn’t about me. It’s about Christi and Paul –“

         “It’s about all of us, David.” Frances put her hand on his. “It’s about saying good-bye to our friends and moving on. So in a way… today IS about you.”

         “Me? No… no way, no how. I’m here taking advantage of a few favors that some friends were willing to provide. And as much as everyone says I belong, that my place is here, the longer I sit among the flight crews… the more I feel like a pig in the manger.” Try as she might, Frances could not avoid giggling. “Okay, what’s so funny?”

         “That comment, David! One, you’re not ugly at all. In fact… you’re quite cute.” David’s couldn’t help blushing. “Two, and even more important… you are meant to be here. If you weren’t supposed to say goodbye to Christi from an aircraft, something would have thrown a wrench in the works. That obviously didn’t happen.”

         “And three,” Emily Hargraves added as she joined them, handing David a cup of soda while sitting down across from him. “You brought us joy today. You gave all of these people a bright, cheerful moment in the middle of a day filled with sadness and darkness.”

         “Huh? You lost me, Emily.”

         Emily shook her head as she chuckled. “Can you believe this guy, Franny? Here he is, the object of several minutes of wild cheering, providing a ray of sunshine in a dark time. Yet, he has no understanding of what he’s given us today!”

         “She’s right, David. Things happen for a reason. Tell me this: have you been able to walk much since the accident?”

         “Only a few faltering steps in physical therapy, using the parallel bars.”

         “Yet 30 minutes ago, you walked across that tarmac out there,” Frances replied. “Granted, you had help from Emily here, and Bob ‘The Nose Tackle’ Secrist. But they weren't dragging you across the ground. I saw you moving your feet, David. Whether you admit it or not, you were walking. What are you afraid of? Your own progress?”

         “It’s possible, Fran. It may also be disbelief.”

         “Believe it, Mister.” Emily tried to fix him with her most stern look, but only partly succeeded. “You were meant to walk today. You were brought here to give us something to cheer about. You also got a glimpse of what’s possible, and the effort you’ll need to make it a reality.” Seeing the disbelief in his eyes, Emily walked around the table to hug him. “You know what you need to do,” she said in the clinch. “Now you need to do it.”



         “Ladies and gentlemen…” Roger Pendwalton stood at the podium. “Those of you who had the pleasure to know Christi personally can attest to her love for the job, for flying, for helping others. My wife… Oh, God…. I wish none of us had to be here today…” Overcome with grief, Roger leaned against the podium as sobs racked his body. A StarMed crew member helped him back to his seat, then returned to the podium with the paper Roger had tried to read from.

         “My name is Steve Breyer. Roger has asked me to read this for him.” Steve looked at the note in his hand. “Christi wrote this several years ago. ‘As I write this, three medical helicopters around the country have crashed in the last week. Am I scared? Definitely. I realize this could happen to me. Will it keep me from my work? No, this is what I am meant to do. And if I die in the attempt… then I have died well. Yet I know I will live on in the hearts and minds of my family and friends. My spirit will be with all who, in one way or another, are the special people in my life. So when you visit my grave, do not cry. I am not there… thanks to you, I will never die’.” Breyer took a moment to wipe away several tears.

         “Speaking for myself, Christi was always there with a kind word and a good attitude. I never heard her knock the job in any way. Yet her greatest love was for her family and friends. Christi lived a life of love. The best way we can honor her… is to do the same.”

         In the back of the auditorium, Melinda sat dumbstruck. Melinda had not realized at first that she knew Christi Pendwalton. When Steve Breyer read the note, Melinda saw Christi’s face on the screen… and started hearing Christi’s voice. As Breyer spoke, Melinda’s mind drifted into assorted memories. She began to recall an episode from several months back…


         “So we told this guy, ‘either stop fighting us, or we’ll intubate you. Do you really want a tube stuck down your throat?’ ” Christi was holding court at the Carrolton ER Nurse’s station. Melinda Bradley was listening with rapt attention, along with Dr. Jim Cherbourg and nurses Paula Pawlush and Bill Hockenberry. Christi was relating what she had done to get her patient, now being evaluated in the trauma bay by Dr. Angie Swanson, to cooperate with her and her partner, flight nurse Paul Harris.

         “Did it work?”

         “He blew it off at first”, Christi replied as she made a note on her report. “But when I showed him the tube, Paula, he changed his mind and cooperated the rest of the flight.”

         “Why was he fighting so much in the first place?”

         “Pain and fear, Melinda. You’d be surprised at the various reactions those two things bring out in people. Some folks fight, some make jokes, some just mentally curl up in a ball and hide. I’m sure you’ve seen some of it here. Besides, this guy is only 20. I think his
‘Indestructibility of Youth’ was broken along with his legs and his car. Ahh, the joys of flight medicine… you often get to see people at their worst.”

         “Like we don’t see that here?” The group chuckled. “I’ve got to go check on a little old lady that fell in her kitchen. Christi, you guys fly safe now, you hear?”

         “Always, Doc.”

         “And don’t spend too much time listening to stories, ladies. We do have patients to treat.” As Jim Cherbourg walked away, both nurses playfully stuck their tongues out at him. He glanced back in time to see this, wagged his finger at them, then returned the favor. All of this had Christi nearly doubled over in laughter.

         “You know, Christi, you’re not exactly being a good salesperson.”

         “Good salesperson, Melinda?”

         “Do you really think I’ll go flying with you after your comments about seeing people at their worst?”

         “Aww, c’mon, Melinda, It’ll be great!”

         “What’s so great about grumpy patients? If I wanted more of that,” Melinda griped, “I’d work extra shifts here! Isn’t that right, Paula?”

         “Oh, is so right!” Paula was once again playing the Polish immigrant, fresh off the farm. “If we want pain in ass patients, we work more here!”

         “Good grief, you two! Now tell me, wouldn’t you like to get your hands on a nice, greasy trauma? Flying through the air at breakneck speed in a helicopter, your heart pounding with adrenaline –”

         “Helicopters don’t fly!” Paula interrupted. “They’re too ugly to fly. They leave the ground because the earth naturally repels their ugliness!”

         “The devil you say! Helicopters are beautiful things. Just ask any patient who’s been flown by one, Paula. And as for helicopters not flying, remember this. They say bumblebees can’t fly, either. The thing is… no one has ever explained this to the bumblebee.”

         “Well,” Paula said with a smile, again becoming the Polish farm girl. “I let you fly your pretty bumblebee. I stay here on ground.”

         “No sense of adventure, Paula?”

         “Oh, don’t worry,” Melinda replied. “Out little ‘Miss Kielbasa’ has quite the sense of adventure. After all… anyone who wants to race jet skis at Newman Lake
has to have a sense of adventure.” Paula began to blush.

         “If you’ll excuse me,” Paula huffed, “some of us have work to do.” As she turned to walk away, Christi and Melinda both saw the embarrassed smile on Paula’s face.

         “So what about you, Melinda? You game for a day of wild scenes and wilder patients?”

         “Well… it does sound interesting. And I’ll admit, I’ve thought about trying to get a flight job in a few years.”

         “Perfect! This way, you can get a preview.” Christi’s partner joined them at the counter. “Hey, Paul! Melinda here says she’s thinking about becoming a flight nurse. I’m trying to convince her to do a ride-along with us to see what it’s really like.”

         “You mean,” Paul Harris replied, “that’s you’d actually expose her to the hours of tedium and boredom? Whole shifts spent watching bad movies waiting for a flight? Getting so bored that you do housework and laundry to keep from going out of your skull?”

         “Christi, you never mentioned any of that.”

         “I was hitting the highlights, Melinda. And Paul… thanks for bursting the bubble.”

         “Seriously, Melinda, its got its up and down times, just like any other job. We get our share of good flights, as well as the BS calls. And speaking of flights, Christi, we need to get going.”

         “Okay, Paul, I’ll be right there. Now, Melinda, do come out and join us.” Christi leaned closer and spoke in a conspiratorial whisper. “Listen, you come on out to Summit Hill. We’ll fly some missions, watch a movie or two, and have some fun. And if Anita’s chauffeuring us, we can gang up on Paul and give him an estrogen overload.” Both women started laughing at the prospect.

         “In that case, I’ll be sure to bring along a ‘chick flick’. That should really drive him crazy!”

         “No ‘chick flicks’, ladies. I won’t allow it.” Paul had returned to the counter. “I should have known you’d plot something evil like that, Christi. How your husband puts up with you, I’ll never know.” Christi gave her partner a good backhand swat to the chest. “Seriously, do join us at Summit Hill. Just don’t bring any sappy, sugary films, and we’ll get along fine.”

         “Got it, Paul. If I bring something with Jean-Claude van Damme or Arnold Schwartzeneger, will that keep you happy?”

         “Immensely. And Anita might even like it. After all, she’s single and looking.”

         “Now cut that out.” Christi gave Paul’s hand a playful slap. “Melinda, give me a call at the base when you’re ready, and we’ll get it all arranged.” She collected her paperwork and followed Paul to the helipad elevator. “Now don’t forget!” she yelled over her shoulder.

         “I won’t,” Melinda laughed in reply. As the elevator doors closed, she saw Christi point to Paul and mouth the words “estrogen overload”. Melinda kept a straight face until the elevator doors were fully closed, then nearly fell over laughing…



         … tears streamed down Melinda’s face as she recalled the laughter of that afternoon several months ago. She also felt guilty, partly because she had never followed up on the invitation.

         “That’s it, Mel,” Stephanie whispered in her ear. “Don’t hold it in. That’s what today is all about.”

         “I knew her,” Melinda said in a choked whisper. “I knew her… but I didn’t realize it was her that crashed. She was always inviting me to fly with them. She was a good person… and now she’s gone!”

         “Not completely, hon. Her family’s still here. Her friends, her coworkers, people she knew… all of us are still here. Remember what she said in her note, and realize that’s universal. As long as someone you know is around, then so are you.”

         “That's… that’s something else.” Melinda paused for a breath, then continued softly sobbing. “She’s a good friend of David’s.” Melinda never saw the quizzical look that crossed Stephanie’s face. And Stephanie would have been oddly pleased by the thoughts running through Melinda’s mind: How do I compete against that? Wait, why am I worried about competing for him? Do I care for David that much?



         The pilots were milling around the white board, making final decisions and adjustments. One aircraft, Saldana Air Life, had not yet arrived for the planning session. All the pilots agreed that it would take the back left position in the formation if it arrived in time.

         “Okay, folks,” Dennis Marconi yelled over the din of numerous conversations. “Here’s the line up as it stands now.” Everyone took seats as he pointed to the white board. “Since SkyKnight Two and StarMed 1 flew patients from the scene, they’ll be flying joint lead. Stepping back to the left will be SkyKnight One, Hampton County Sheriff, and Saldana Air Life if they arrive in time. Stepping back and to the right will be StarMed 2, Life Eagle 2, and StarMed 4 will fly the Missing Man slot. Any questions?” The room was silent. “Okay, we lift off in approximately 20 minutes. Let’s take care of any last-minute checks, pre-flights, et cetera. Once the fly-by is complete, you’re all clear for other duties. People, let’s do it right… let’s do it safe.”

         People began filing out of the room. Sulu and André helped David outside to a waiting golf cart. “No, guys. I need to walk again.” As the three of them slowly made their way to SkyKnight Two, the cart followed in case it was needed. Along the way, crews of the aircraft they passed stopped to clap hands or yell encouragement.

         Having seen David start “walking” to his aircraft, Bob Secrist ran over from where StarMed 2 was parked on the ramp. Saying “Allow me, gents,” the burly flight paramedic bent down and swung David over his shoulder.

         “Whoa! What the…” Before he could say anything more, David was sitting in the copilot’s seat. “Damn… that was so quick I didn’t have time to yell ‘You brute! You brute! Put me down!’.” Everyone chuckled lightly. “Thanks, Bob!”

         “Anytime, man. And if you get the chance, stop by our base out at Bennington. All of you! See you in the air!”

         “Sulu, I’ll get the door. David…” Emily took his hand in hers. “I told you there was a reason for you to be here!” She had to shout over the cacophony of jet engines from various helicopters starting up. “This IS where you belong!” She closed the door as Sulu started their engines.

         “All units,” crackled over the earpiece in David’s helmet. “All units, this is StarMed 1. Check in with status, please.” One by one, David heard the various aircraft say they were ready to go.

         “David,” Sulu said over the intercom, “everything’s good to go here. Tell ‘em.”

         David pressed his transmit button. “StarMed 1 from Sky Knight Two. All systems are go.”

         “Copy that, Sky Two.” Soon, all but one aircraft had checked in. “StarMed 4,” the radio crackled, “this is StarMed 1 What’s your status, Bill?”

         “Stand by.”
For almost a minute, the only thing David heard on the frequency was static. “StarMed 1, this is four. We’re aborting on the ramp. Tail rotor gearbox warning, we can’t continue.” The disappointment was evident in the pilot’s voice.

         “StarMed 1 copies…. shit!” Dennis Marconi hadn’t let go of his transmit button before his curse slipped out. “Okay, folks, give me a few seconds to hash this out.”

         “Sulu, what’s going on?”

         “StarMed 4 just scrubbed for a mechanical problem, Emily. The formation assignments are being reshuffled. StarMed 4 was supposed to fly the Missing Man slot.”

         “Sulu,” David asked, “just what does ‘Missing Man’ mean?”

         “It’s a formation flown in memory of people lost. At some point, one of the aircraft peels away, leaving a gap in the formation, the ’Missing Man’, to symbolize the person or people who were lost.”

         “Okay… I’ve seen that done in movies, over Veterans Day parades, et cetera. Doesn’t one of the inside aircraft pull up and out of the formation?”

         “With fixed wing aircraft, yes. In helicopters, the last aircraft on the right pulls out to the right while flying over the service.”

         “StarMed 1 to all units,” crackled over the radio, “here’s what we’re going to do.” David and Sulu listened, waiting to hear their name called. “SkyKnight Two,” they heard at last. “I know you’ve got people on board who were personally close to members of our lost crew. Sky Two… would you be willing to fly the Missing Man slot?”

         “Oh… my God,” Sulu half-whispered. “Uhm… Star… StarMed 1 from Sky Two. We… we would be deeply honored, sir. We accept.”

         “Thank you, Sky Two. StarMed 4, take your package over to SkyKnight Two.”

         “Package?”

         “We’ll find out soon enough, David. Emily, André, if you didn’t catch all of that… we’re in the Missing Man slot now.” David heard their gasps over the intercom. Looking to his left, he saw Frances Farrell making a wide circle in front of Life Eagle 2. Before he could let Sulu know, the pilot was motioning for her to approach. Carrying a small bundle, she walked up to David’s door.

         “David,” she said after opening the door and climbing on the entry step. “We were going to drop these out the window during the fly-by. Can you guys do that for us?” She handed him a bundle of several dozen roses of assorted colors.

         “Sulu,” he said into the intercom, “can we drop some flowers at the memorial service?” Sulu flashed him a thumb's up. “We’ll get it taken care of, Fran.” She leaned in, kissed him on the cheek, then closed the door before David could say anything else.

         “StarMed 1 from SkyKnight Two,” Sulu said into the radio. “The package has been delivered.”

         “Copy, Sky Two. StarMed 1 is lifting at this time. We’ll make several circuits of the field while everyone joins up, then turn outbound.” David and Sulu watched for several minutes as the other aircraft lifted off and paraded around the airport.

         “Okay, people, here we go. Sky Two,” Sulu said into the radio, “we’re lifting at this time.”

         “This is Sally 1,” crackled over the radio. “Sorry we’re late, we got held up on a patient transport. Request permission to join the formation.”

         “Sally 1, this is Memorial Lead in StarMed 1. You’re clear to join in. Form up on the outside left of the formation.”

         “Sally 1, wilco.”


         “Sally 1?”

         “That’s the call sign,” Sulu replied to David, “for Saldana Air Life. We don’t see too much of them around here. They’re based in Kennistone, and usually only come this way on inter-facility flights.”

         “Kennistone? That’s over 80 miles south of here!”

         “Yeah… they came a long way to be a part of this.”

         “Wow…” David leaned back, watching the scenery pass beneath them. He unwrapped the bundle of roses, getting them ready to fly.

         “Lead to all units,” crackled over the radio. “Switch to Summit Hill Dispatch frequency. Once I check us in, keep quiet. If you need to say anything, use UHF Guard. Do not acknowledge.”

         “Okay, folks,” Sulu told his crew. “We’re on the Summit Hill frequency, so don’t hit your mic buttons.”

         “Sulu, what’s going on?”

         “A special broadcast, David. Just sit back and listen. When it happens… you’ll understand.”



         “… in this trying time. Again, from the entire StarMed family, thank you for coming out today and showing your support. May God be with all of you.” As Greg Koroucas stepped away from the podium, members of the Summit Hill Fire Department’s Color Guard came on stage. In complete silence, they removed the flags from their stands on opposite sides of the stage, then marched them to stage center.

         “Steph,” Melinda whispered, “what’s happening? Are we supposed to leave now?”

         “I don’t think so.” Stephanie read the program in her hand. “According to this, there’s something called a ‘Last Alarm’. Do you know what that is? I’m not –” Stephanie was cut off by a piercing alarm tone over the auditorium's speaker system.

         "Attention… attention all units." Several sobs and "Oh my Gods" were heard in the crowd. "This is the Last Alarm for StarMed 3 crew members Paul Harris…"



         "… Christi Pendwalton… and Anita Keller."
David felt the aircraft bobble slightly; pilot Jim Hiroshi’s hands had shuddered at the mention of Anita's name. "As He welcomes our friends into Heaven, we pray that God will bless their families, friends, and all they have touched. As our friends begin their final mission…"



         "… we wish them God's Blessings and God speed."
Try as she might, Melinda couldn't stop crying. Realizing who Christi Pendwalton was had been a hammer blow for Melinda, compounded by the Last Alarm. Holding Melinda's hand, Stephanie cried with her.

         “Steph,” Melinda sobbed, “I never told her. I never let her know that I considered her one of my friends.”

         “It’s okay, honey. She knows… I’m sure of it.” Despite the armrest between them, Stephanie pulled her younger friend into a hug. “Honey, don’t beat yourself up about woulda-coulda-shoulda’s. It doesn’t do you any good. Remember the laughs, and move on in life.” She looked up to see the Color Guard, still in complete silence, walking the flags out of the auditorium.

         “Ladies and gentlemen.” Greg Koroucas had returned to the podium. “We’ll be moving outside for the final portion of today’s program. We ask that you let the people in the front rows go first, and work backwards from there…” Over the next few minutes, the auditorium emptied.

         As she walked into the sunlight, a hand tapped Melinda on her left shoulder. Turning in that direction, she found herself in the embrace of Jim Hollis. “How are you doing, hon? You gonna be okay?”

         “Jim,” she half-spoke, half-sobbed, “I think I’m beginning to understand.” Jim gave her another hug, then hugged Stephanie as Melinda was hugged by Annabelle Hollis. The four of them, followed by other mourners from Carrolton ER, walked into the grassy plaza in front of the auditorium. There they joined the rest of the Knightsbridge EMS staff attending the service.

         Milling conversations died away as a lone trumpeter began playing Taps. When the last notes faded, a siren was heard in the distance. Those who turned to look saw an ambulance leaving under lights and siren.

         “In its own way,” Jim said as he turned back to his friends, “it’s appropriate. They died on the way to help someone. How better to honor them… than by going to help someone else?”

         Just then, loud noises came from the auditorium entrance. Out walked a bagpiper, complete with kilt. Many new tears were shed as he slowly walked past the crowd, playing “Amazing Grace.”



         “Memorial lead to all units,” David heard over the radio. “It’s our turn, people. Let’s do this right.” The group of helicopters made a gentle left turn toward the back side of Crenshaw High School. No one in SkyKnight Two said a word as the formation flew over the building.

         “Hang on, guys,” Sulu said as he spied the crowd below. Banking the helicopter to the right, SkyKnight Two left the formation and became the ‘Missing Man’. Sulu maintained a gentle bank, flying in a big circle to come back over the crowd. “Got the package ready, David?” Not trusting his voice, he flashed Sulu a thumb’s up sign. “Okay, bro, it’s almost time.” As Sulu approached the crowd, David stuck his hand through the open window. “Now!”

         David unfurled the wrapping paper, letting the bundle of roses fall free. Already untied, they individually floated downward. David looked back to see people catching them in the air, or picking them up off the ground. “Memorial lead, this is Sky Two,” David said on the radio. “The package has been delivered.”

         “Copy, Sky Two. And thank you very much.” For several seconds, only static was heard on the frequency. “Memorial lead to all units… all units are clear to resume normal duties. And from everyone at StarMed, thank you for joining us today.”

         “StarMed, this is Sally 1. We’re honored we could be a part of it. We are clearing the area, en route to Starflight FBO for fuel.”

         “Sally 1, StarMed 1 copies all. Have a safe flight home.”


         “StarMed 1 from Sky Two,” Sulu broadcasted. “Clearing the area en route to Carrolton. We’re glad we could help out. And pray God we never have to go through this again.”

         “LifeEagle 2 echo's those sentiments.”

         “StarMed 1 copies both Eagle 2 and Sky Two.”


         “SkyKnight Two, clearing this channel for company frequency. Everyone stay safe… and God bless.” Sulu switched frequencies. “Dispatch, SkyKnight Two. We are clear of the memorial service, en route to Carrolton Memorial.”

         “Dispatch from SkyKnight One,” crackled over the radio. “We’re also clear of the memorial. Show us en route to The Castle for fuel, then continuing to base.”

         “Sky One and Two, dispatch copies all. Supervisory staff at the service have asked us to relay a ‘well done’ to both crews. Show you en route to your respective destinations at fifteen-twelve.”


         “And that’s that. David, it’s been damn good to have you along. We need to do this again sometime… but under much happier circumstances.”

         “I’d love that, Sulu. Let’s see what we can do about it.” They flew in silence for several minutes; none of the four people on board wanted to say anything for fear of breaking down.

         “SkyKnights,” the dispatcher crackled over the radio, “stand by for tones.” David started at the alert tones, remembering what it was like to hear them in the front cab of an ambulance. He caught himself just before reaching for the nonexistent gearshift. “SkyKnight One, respond with Knightsbridge Fire to 81st and Blackburn, motor vehicle crash. Respond with Knightsbridge Fire to 81st and Blackburn, motor vehicle crash. All traumas open. SkyKnight One.”

         “SkyKnight One, responding from just north of the Morningside Bridge.”


         “Dispatch,” Sulu said into his radio, “Sky Two. We’re approximately four minutes flight time from that location. Do you want us to respond?”

         “Sky Two, dispatch. Can you handle a call with your passenger on board?”

         “Emily, André,” Sulu said into the intercom, “any objections?”

         “This is why he’s sitting with you, James,” André replied. “We’re set up and ready to go back here.”

         “Let’s do it,” Emily chimed in.

         “David?”

         “Just make sure I don’t screw anything up, Jim.”

         “Dispatch,” Sulu said on the radio, “Sky Two is able to handle. Show us responding from the vicinity of 95th and Roundtable.”

         “Dispatch, Sky One,” they heard on the radio. “Sky Two is in a better response position than we are. We’re a good 12 to 15 minutes away.”

         “Dispatch copies all. Sky Two responding at fifteen-twenty. Ground contact is fire three-five-two on tac four.”
Jim looked over to see David scribbling notes. “Sky One, we’ll have you proceed that way as well. We’re not sure how many patients are involved.”

         “Copy, Sky One en route from the Morningside Industrial Park.

         “At fifteen-twenty-one hours.”


         “Good job, David.” Sulu nodded to the notepad in David’s lap. Seeing it in a cubbyhole between the front seats, David had instinctively grabbed it and started taking notes. “Keep that info handy. Now you’re going to see what EMS is like from our perspective.”
© Copyright 2005 SkyHawk - Into The Music (emtnythawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/960033-The-Last-Alarm-KnightWATCH-Chapter-6