*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/960040-The-Last-Alarm-KnightWATCH-Chapter-7
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Drama · #960040
A long, sad day ends with some surprises... and some joy
NOTE: sections in red may be changed to match other parts of the story

         “Honey, are you sure it’s the right thing to do?”

         “The right thing? I honestly don’t know, Steph. All I know is that I need to talk to him about this.” Melinda sat at the table in the ER staff lounge, her hands wrapped around an empty Dr. Pepper can. “I feel like I’m beginning to understand what he’s going through. It’s like… I need him to help me figure this out.”

         “Or you need a target, Mel.” Stephanie pulled a can of Diet Coke from the refrigerator. Walking back to the table, she said, “Are you really wanting to help him, Mel? Or are you looking for a vent for your own confusion?”

         “What?”

         “Are you actually wanting to talk to him, Mel? Or,” Stephanie asked as she sat down, “are you looking for a convenient scapegoat for your confusion? Someone you can dump your anger and guilt on?”

         “I… I don’t know what I want! I don’t know whether to hug him or hit him! I know… Steph, I know in my mind that it’s not his fault I’m so damn mixed up right now. But in my heart… I want to lash out.”

         “Why?”

         “Because… I’m not sure how to put this.” Stephanie sipped her Diet Coke while Melinda tried to organize her thoughts and feelings. “Steph… he had a very special relationship with Christi Pendwalton. The fact that he did have that relationship… Dammit!” Melinda suddenly crumpled her empty soda can, then flung it into the trash basket across the room. “Damn it! Damn him! It’s like he’s bewitching me! This isn’t supposed to be happening!”

         “What isn’t supposed to be happening, Mel?”

         “You know what I’m talking about!”

         “Maybe I do,” Stephanie replied with a slight smile, “maybe I don’t. The question is… do you understand what you’re talking about?”

         “Huh?”

         “Mel, before you go flying off the handle with all of this, make sure you know where you’re flying to, and where you’re going to land.”

         “And just what the Hell does that mean?”

         “Find out who you’re really angry at before you start chewing people out. Find out if there’s a legitimate target for your anger… or if it’s even anger that you’re feeling. Think about it, Mel. A minute ago, you said you knew David wasn’t to blame for you being so upset. Then you turned around and cursed him for it anyway. Or were you cursing him for your feelings about Christi Pendwalton?”

         “My feelings about Christi? No, no…” Melinda’s voice trailed off as she knotted her fingers together. “I know that’s my own fault… my own guilt. I’m damning him for other things… things he’s done to me…”

         “For ‘bewitching’ you, as you put it?”

         “Yes! For bewitching me! For making me worry about him being in that fly-by!”

         “So, let me get this straight. You’re feelings towards David are all his fault, eh? He’s the one to blame for you being attracted to him?”

         “YES!”

         “And just why in the world is that his fault, Mel?”

         “Because… I’m not supposed to BE attracted to him!”

         “You’re not? Who in the world says you aren’t, Melinda? And what’s their reasoning?”

         “Well,” she sputtered. “Well… I do!”

         “Because?” Stephanie’s question had a lilt to it, as if to say “Don’t try to pull the wool over my eyes, I can see right though you.” Melinda looked down at her hands, only then realizing how tightly clenched her fists were. She flexed her fingers several times as she tried to find an answer. “You don’t have a reason, do you, Mel? At least, not one you can defend.”

         “Dammit, Steph, I’m not ready to let someone into my life. But here he is, knocking the door down and marching in anyway! Or at least someone’s knocking down the door and pushing him through.”

         “Is it that you’re not ready, Mel? Or are you unwilling to let someone in?”

         “Probably both.” Melinda walked over to the coffee maker and poured herself a mug. “Ugh!” she said after her first sip. “When did the coffee here get so bad?” She stirred three packets of sugar into her mug as she walked back to the table. “Now, I know you’re going to ask me what I meant by that, Steph. The truth is… I don’t want to take another chance yet. I’m not ready. I know, I know,” she said, raising a hand to ward off a comment. “I need to be willing, at some point, to consider the possibilities. But I’m not sure now is the time.”

         Stephanie sat back in her chair. After a few minutes of silent contemplation, she decided to bypass Melinda’s last comment for something else. “Mel, there’s something else going on here. Does it have to do with David? Or with Christi?”

         “Both.” Stephanie waited; she knew from Melinda’s expression that her younger friend would eventually say what was on her mind. “Like I said, I’m not ready to take another chance yet. But I still need to talk to him about all of this, Steph. The other day…” Melinda sniffled as she dabbed her eye with a napkin. “The other day, before I knew what was happening, I was asking David if I would have to fight his friend’s ghost. That’s before I even realized who Christi was, Steph. And now… now, realizing I knew Christi… part of me wonders how I can compete against his memories of her! That’s one of…” Melinda began crying again. “That’s one of the reasons I was crying at the service, Steph!” Stephanie took both of Melinda’s hands in hers.

         “And now, you’re refusing to admit that part of you wants to fight for David. You’re not willing to accept that you're getting close to him, despite all your defenses.” Unable to speak, Melinda emphatically nodded her head up and down. “Hon, has anyone else stirred up your feelings the way David has in the last few weeks? Anyone besides Jeremy, that is?”

         “No,” she half-sobbed, “and that’s part of the problem.” Melinda took a couple quick breaths as she tried to regain her composure. “I don’t want to compete for someone, Steph. IF I have someone in my life, I need to know he’s there for me, and that he’ll stay.”

         “Are you really afraid he’ll leave, Mel? Or are you more afraid of him staying? Also, you mentioned having to fight Christi’s ghost. How long will David or any other man have to go up against Jeremy’s?”

         “David said the same thing, Steph. And I honestly don’t have an answer.”

         “You’ll need to find one at some point, Mel.” And the way fate’s handling this, Stephanie said to herself, you better find it soon. “You’re right, you and David do need to talk. But this is important enough that I’m not letting you go alone.” Seeing the question on Melinda’s face, Steph continued, “honey, you’re edging closer to taking that big chance. I’m not going to let either of you blow it.”

         “Thanks.” Melinda’s voice was a whisper of resignation… and relief.

         “C’mon, kiddo, let’s go. Like you said, you need to talk to him. Just realize it may not happen today; he probably needs some friendly shoulders about now.” Stephanie gave her younger friend a gentle hug. “Okay, let’s head upstairs.” After a silent elevator ride, the two women walked into David’s empty room.

         “David? You in here?” Silence greeted Melinda’s question. “David?” Melinda tried to put some cheerfulness into her voice. “Okay, you bum, where are you hiding?” Stephanie walked to the far side of the bed, partly afraid David might have fallen. No one was there. She bent down, peered underneath, then looked at Melinda and shook her head. Melinda walked back to the entrance and knocked on the bathroom door. “You in there, David?” She knocked again, and the door glided open. With trepidation, she looked inside… and found the bathroom empty. “What’s going on? Where is he?”

         “Could he be in therapy?”

         “I don’t think so, Steph. He worked out yesterday so he’d have today free and clear. Give me a second.” Melinda walked out to the nurses’ station, then came back just as quickly. “The floor staff say they haven’t seen him since he left.” Melinda picked up the phone and dialed.

         “Who you calling?”

         “Security, Steph. Hello,” she said into the phone. “Can I speak with Amos Derringer, please? Yes, I’ll wait.” Stephanie took a seat while Melinda paced back and forth by the bed.

         “Why are you calling security?”

         “They should know if – hello, Amos? Hey there, teddy bear, it’s Melinda from the ER. Listen, has our wayward fly boy come back? I see… no, I’m up at his room… sure, I can wait downstairs. Listen, if you hear anything… thanks, Amos, I owe you.”

         “So?”

         “According to Amos, no helicopters have landed in the last three hours. He asked me to wait down in the ER staff lounge. If Amos hears anything, he’ll either call me there or page me.”

         “Then why are we still up here?” The two women walked out to the elevator. As they entered, a voice shouted “Hold that car!” Melinda and Stephanie cleared the doorway just in time to avoid being bowled over by a huffing and puffing Barry Polczinski.

         “Thanks for holding the elevator, ladies. I appreciate it.” Barry took a few deep breaths. “Man, I’ve got to get into better shape.”

         “Then hop on one of your exercise bikes, ya bastard.” Melinda smiled partly at her use of Barry’s nickname, and partly at the look of pure shock on Stephanie’s face. “Maybe you should get a taste of your own medicine.”

         “A taste of…” Barry looked over then, filling the elevator with rueful laughter. “You know, Melinda, maybe YOU should join David in his workouts, instead of just assisting him.”

         “You planning on giving me the patented ‘Barry the Bastard’ treatment, mister?”

         “Wait, Mel,” Steph interrupted. “Did you say the ‘Barry the Bastard’ treatment?”

         “I’m sorry, Steph. Meet ‘Barry the Bastard’ Polczinski.” As Melinda handled introductions, Barry and Stephanie shook hands. Given his job and his large size, Steph was surprised by the gentleness of his handshake. A man who knows how to control his strength, she thought to herself.

         “Why the big hurry, Mr. Polczinski?”

         “Please, Stephanie, call me Barry. My daughter’s insisting I make it to her softball game tonight, and I’m running a little late.”

         “How old is she?”

         “13, and proving the old adage is right.”

         “What old adage, Barry?”

         “A truism about daughters, Melinda. That they’re God’s curse on fathers for being men.”

         “I take it,” Stephanie said with a knowing smile, “she’s discovered boys?”

         “And how! Luckily, I’m big enough that I can intimidate them with size. I don’t need to buy any shotguns just yet.”

         “Hell, Barry, just put them through one of your workouts! That should scare them away. And speaking of workouts, what’s this about having me exercise with David? You gonna give me the ‘Barry the Bastard’ treatment as well?”

         “Nothing but the best for you, squirt. Besides, you probably need to build up your upper body strength – OUCH!” Barry was interrupted as Melinda demonstrated her upper body strength with a sharp elbow to his stomach. “Damn, Melinda… do you use a pencil sharpener on those elbows?”

         “Only during the Christmas shopping season. Otherwise, I just let them be. They’re usually strong enough for everyday use,” she replied with a semi-wicked smile.

         “In that case,” he grumbled as he rubbed his right side, “I’m keeping my distance from you the day after Thanksgiving.”

         “Oh, I didn’t hit you that hard, Barry. Don’t be such a whiner. And besides, you certainly give as good as you get, if not more so. I’m sure David would agree with me.”

         “He gives as good as he gets, too, Melinda. I sometimes think you two are ganging up on me.” Barry furrowed his brow. “Then again, David probably thinks I’m ganging up with anyone who helps him.”

         “Well… he has asked me several times if I’m a part of some conspiracy. He hasn’t asked about co-conspirators yet, though I’m sure he suspects Stephanie is part of the gang.”

         “Now wait a minute, Mel. My ‘scheming’, if you want to call it that, is in other areas –”

         “HA! I knew it! You heard her, Barry. She admitted she’s been scheming to get me together with David.”

         “Moi, Melinda? Would I ever do that?”

         “Would you? Come on, Steph, you’ve been doing it ever since David was admitted to the hospital! You’ve been playing matchmaker all along!”

         “I’d ask if she’s succeeding, Melinda,” Barry said with a Cheshire-cat smile. “But think I already know the answer.” He winked to both women as the elevator doors opened. “Look, I have to get going. But I will say this: Melinda, you’ve been a great help to David, along with Connie McKenzie and the Hollis’s. Keep it up, and be ready to help him as he needs it… including refusing physical help. And Melinda… don't be afraid to take a chance on him. Stephanie, it was nice meeting you. You two have a good evening!” Before Melinda could reply, Barry was through the door and jogging to the employee parking lot. Melinda and Stephanie walked to the ER. Along the way, Melinda poked her head into the Security Office, only to find there was no word on SkyKnight Two. Once in the lounge, the two did their best to keep from drowning in boredom.



         “Okay, David. I hate to say this, but your magic carpet ride is almost over.” Jim Hiroshi was standing next to the open copilot’s door of SkyKnight Two. He and David (still in the copilot’s seat) were waiting for the med crew to come back from the trauma center. They were sharing the 10th-floor helipad at University Medical Center with SkyKnight One, also awaiting the return of its medical crew. “It’s been an honor and a privilege to have you with us, man. And you did an excellent job on the radio when we approached the scene.” David had ended up handling the initial radio traffic with the ground units when they arrived over the scene at 81st and Blackburn. It had been a new experience for David, and happened so quickly he didn’t have time to get scared about messing something up. “But when we lift off, our next stop is Carrolton.”

         “I understand, Sulu. You guys have really stuck your necks out to bring me along today. I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to repay you for this.”

         “Just keep getting better, David. Keep getting stronger, and build on what you accomplished today.”

         “I’ll do my best… Jim.”

         “Oh, I’m certain you will. Just remember, though… Emily, André and I have seen some of what you can do. We’ll be expecting you to accomplish more, and soon. Also remember… we have spies everywhere, so we’ll KNOW if you start slacking off!!” Try as he might, Sulu couldn’t keep a straight face after his threat. In a matter of seconds, both men were laughing uproariously. “Seriously, David, just keep getting better; that’s how you’ll repay us.”

         “I’ll second that.” David and Sulu looked over to the new voice, not having noticed SkyKnight One’s pilot join them. “I’m sorry, I didn’t introduce myself out at Starflight. I’m Steve Garoway.” While shaking hands, David saw the words “Chief Pilot” on Garoway’s name badge.

         “Sir,” David said, “I owe you a huge debt of gratitude. Thanks for letting me fly along today.”

         “You’re welcome, David. I’ll admit, I had some misgivings when Jim first came to me about it. When he explained how important it was to you, that were a close friend of one of the lost crew members, I decided to let you fly. As for owing me anything… you paid your tab in full out at Marshall Field.”

         “Huh?”

         “Seeing you walk today was worth it, David. You gave a bad day a good purpose, and lifted some spirits. Now, though, we need to take you back to ‘Carol's House’. As much as we’d like you to, you can’t spend the day with us.”

         “Sir,” David said with a mild gulp, “I’m just grateful for the chance you’ve given me today. And you’re right… it’s time for me to get back to the rehab center.” Though speaking the truth, David’s voice and face belied his wish to keep flying. Noticing this, the two pilots exchanged a quick look. “Okay, you two, what’s going on?”

         “You two? You two who?”

         “You, Sulu, and your boss here. What are you guys planning? Don’t tell me you’re not concocting something. I can tell.”

         “Relax, David,” Sulu laughed. “We’re not planning anything. I’m certainly not planning anything. You planning anything, Steve?”

         “Who, me? The only things I’m planning on are a good dinner when I get home and a quick preflight. Speaking of which, I need to get that done. Seriously, David, I’m glad we could have you along.” Garoway shook David’s hand again, then walked back to SkyKnight One.

         “I’ve got to do the same thing, David. While I’m preflighting, you get strapped in. Once Emily and André load up, we’re out of here.” As David fastened his seat belts, the medical crews from both aircraft walked onto the helipad. David sat back as both aircraft underwent a flurry of pre-launch activity.

         “All right, brother.” André had stepped up to David’s door. “A quick double-check of your belts, and we’re cranking up. Next stop…” The smile slid off of André’s face.

         “Yeah,” David sighed. “Next stop, home away from home.” He put a hand on André’s shoulder. “Thanks for everything, my friend. I don’t know how I’m going to repay you guys. But if I hear one more person say I did that by ‘walking’ today, I may just scream.”

         “Don’t even think about it,” Sulu said over the intercom. “Only patients and jet engines are allowed to scream on this aircraft. Speaking of which…” Sulu pulled his mic away from his mouth. “André,” he yelled across the cockpit, “final checks and clearance.” André hopped down and closed David’s door. He and Emily each did a quick lap around the helicopter while Sulu talked on the radio with Steve Garoway.

         “James,” André said after plugging his helmet into the intercom/radio system. “Walk-around is complete, left side and tail are clear.” Craning his neck, David looked over his shoulder to see André standing outside the left-side patient door.

         “Right side clear,” Emily added over the intercom. “Rear hatch and right-side patient door secure. Sky One is buttoned up. Clear for engine start.”

         “Okay, people, here we go. Turning one…” Looking forward, David saw the main rotor begin to move as a loud whine came from the engine. “Turning two…” the engine noise quickly increased in both pitch and volume. “André, climb aboard.” Looking back, David saw André climb in and slide his door closed.

         “I’m in, James. Left-side patient door secure.”

         “Thanks, André. Marshall Tower, this is…” David tried to ignore Sulu’s call to the control tower. Not ready to return to the rehab center, David tried to block it all out.

         “David, talk to dispatch. Four souls, one hour of fuel.”

         “Gotcha,” David sighed. “Dispatch, SkyKnight Two, how copy?”

         “Sky Two,” David heard over the radio, “We copy you five-by-five, go ahead.” Once again, it was Claudia Morgan’s responding.

         “Claudia, Sky Two is lifting from University at this time, four souls on board, one hour of fuel. Show us…” David paused, trying to avoid the inevitable. “Show us en route to Carrolton. Please advise security of our ETE to drop me off.”

         “Roger wilco, Sky Two. Showing you en route to Carrolton at sixteen-fifteen hours. And David… I’m sorry for why you’re flying today… but it’s damn good to hear you back in the saddle again.” As Sulu pulled up on his collective control to lift the aircraft off the helipad, David clicked his mic button twice in reply to Claudia Morgan’s comments. Once again, he couldn’t trust himself to speak.



         “Hello? I’m sorry, Melinda’s not available at the moment. May I ask whose calling?” Stephanie had answered the phone in the ER staff lounge. Between the emotions of the day and the boredom of waiting for David’s return, Melinda had fallen asleep on one of the couches. Not even the phone ringing next to her head had overcome her exhaustion. “Is this Amos the teddy bear? Hi, Stephanie Berglund here… Oh, they are? Thanks, Amos. I’ll let her know. Talk to you soon.” She hung up the phone and shook Melinda’s shoulder. “Wake up, hon. He’s on the way.”

         “Huh? When? I never heard the phone ring.”

         “You slept right through it hon. Amos just called. They lifted off from University a few minutes ago. Amos says if we hurry, we can ride up on the elevator with him… Whoa, slow down, hon!” On hearing of the helicopter’s imminent arrival, Melinda bolted for the door. Stephanie was forced to speed-walk to keep up with her, catching up just as Amos unlocked the elevator.

         “Dang, little lady,” Amos said as Melinda skidded to a halt. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen you this frisky. This young man must be someone very special.” Stephanie walked up in time to hear Melinda’s retort.

         “Frisky? Amos, I don’t think anyone has ever called me ‘frisky’ before. Energetic, active, even hyper, but never ‘frisky’.”

         “Maybe folks will now,” Stephanie said as they walked into the elevator. “And maybe they should.” The closing elevator door prevented the ER from hearing Melinda’s spicy reply. Walking into the vestibule, the three of them looked out on an empty helipad. “Amos, how far out were they when you called?”

         “They had just lifted off from University, Miss Stephanie. It’s not a long flight over. They should be here any minute.”

         “Is that them?” Melinda pointed to a small speck in the distance.

         “I don’t think so, little lady. That’s the wrong direction for University.” Amos walked to a phone on the far wall. As he started dialing, the elevator door opened again. Paula Pawlush led a group of people and a gurney with equipment right to the helipad door.

         “Paula, what’s going on?”

         “LifeEagle 1’s bringing in a possible code,” she replied in a subdued voice tinged with excitement. When it was time to be serious, “Miss Kielbasa” dumped her Polish-immigrant farm girl routine and spoke crystal-clear American English. “He was revived on scene, but his EKG is all over the scope. They wanted a code team ready just in case. What are you folks doing up here?”

         “Waiting for SkyKnight Two to drop someone off from the memorial service,” Melinda replied. “We’re here to help him back to his room. Don’t worry, we’ll stay out of your way.” Looking outside, Melinda never saw the slight knowing smile that quickly came to Paula’s face, and just as quickly left.

         When LifeEagle 1 touched down, Amos unlocked the door to the helipad. With the rotors still turning at full speed, a crew member climbed out of the aircraft and motioned the hospital team to come out to him.

         “Oh, great,” Paula muttered to herself. “Okay, people, this is a hot offload. Put your safety goggles on, and stay low. That rotor isn’t stopping for us; it’ll give you one hell of a very short headache. Is everyone ready?” She glanced around and saw that everyone on the team had their goggles in place and gloves on. “Okay,” she said as she opened the door. “Everyone be smart and stay safe!”

         Paula led her team to the patient-loading door of the aircraft at a brisk walk. Once there, LifeEagle’s medical team quickly slid the patient onto the waiting gurney. Watching from the vestibule, Melinda thought the process was going overly fast. She understood why when the team got to the edge of the helipad, clear of the still-spinning rotor blades, and Paula climbed onto the gurney to start CPR. Melinda immediately opened the door for the team, allowing them to walk directly onto the waiting elevator.

         When Melinda looked outside again, the rotors had stopped on the hunter-green-and-silver helicopter. The pilot was walking towards the vestibule. As she stepped outside, the pilot motioned for Melinda to go back in.

         “Oh, man,” the pilot said as he joined Melinda, Stephanie and Amos in the vestibule. “That guy is in seriously bad shape.”

         “Just how bad?” Stephanie asked.

         “Ma’am, he’s circling the drain,” the pilot replied, using medical crew slang for a patient whose condition was deteriorating rapidly. “My crew was working on him all the way here. They kept losing a rhythm on him, pushing drugs, getting it back, only to lose it again. Hell, they were so busy, I had to give the radio report to the ER. Nope, not good.” The pilot shook his head as he said, “especially for a guy in his early 30’s. Anyway, you better close the door if you don’t want your hair ruffled. SkyKnight Two should be landing any minute.” Stephanie closed the door as pilot Chip Bakersfield introduced himself.

         “How far out are they?” Melinda asked.

         “SkyKnight Two? They were actually closer than we were, starting their final approach. But when we called in, they cleared out of the way. Said something about being on an admin flight and we had the higher priority. I need to shake that pilot’s hand; he’s got a clue. Not every crew does.”

         “Uhm, Chip…” Melinda stammered, not quite sure how to pose her question. “I have to ask… who picked out your guys’ paint job?”

         “Don’t you like it?”

         “Oh, it’s not that, Chip. It’s just… not something you usually see on an aircraft.”

         “Well, it is distinctive,” Stephanie interjected. “Actually, I kinda like it. It’s a nice color contrast. And I bet people on the ground always know who you are.”

         “Yes, it is distinctive, ma’am. Folks do recognize us. And believe me, it’s far from the worst I’ve seen in terms of paint jobs. Of the aircraft and pictures I’ve seen, that title goes to an outfit in Kansas City.”

         “Oh?” Melinda asked. “What makes their paint job so bad?”

         “Their aircraft are painted in a combination of teal green and dark purple, with white lettering. I’ve heard detractors refer to the aircraft themselves as ‘Barney-Copters'.” Try though she might, Melinda could not suppress a giggle. “I hear the operation itself is a good one, but their paint job gets a lot of laughs.”

         “And people don’t laugh at your paint scheme?” Stephanie inquired.

         “Oh, I’m sure they do.”

         “Where did you get that color selection from?”

         “Well… rumor has it the program director is a huge pro football fan. She supposedly got both our color scheme and our name from her favorite team.” Chip had to shout his last words to be heard over the roar of SkyKnight Two settling onto the helipad. As their rotors stopped turning, Chip moved to walk outside. “I’ve enjoyed talking with you folks, but I've got to get my ship ready to go. And like I said earlier, I want to shake that pilot’s hand. You folks have a good day.” Melinda followed Chip out the door, pushing David’s waiting wheelchair. Stephanie and Amos were several steps behind her.



         “Okay, David,” Emily Hargraves said on the intercom. “André and I will help you after we land. Let’s show ‘nurse cutie pie’ what you’ve accomplished today.”

         “That’s if she’s even here, Emily. For all I know, there’s only going to be a security guard meeting us.” SkyKnight two was hovering clear of the hospital, waiting for LifeEagle 1 to unload their patient.

         “Carrolton Security to SkyKnight Two,” crackled over their earpieces. “Eagle 1 has shut down. Helipad is secure; you’re clear to land.”

         “Copy and thank you, security,” Sulu replied. “David, tell dispatch we’re on final, landing in two minutes.” David complied.

         “David, I think she’ll be there,” Emily said. “If what I saw this morning is any indication… she’s gonna be there for you for quite a while.” David didn’t reply. Not because of the “sterile cockpit” rule he’d been briefed on, where you were supposed to keep quiet while the pilot was taking off or landing. David kept his mouth shut because he wasn’t ready to believe Melinda would be willing to take a chance on him. His doubts came from the necklace and ring from Jeremy she still wore on her neck.

         As they touched down, David keyed his mic. “Dispatch, SkyKnight two. Show us safely on deck at Carrolton.”

         “SkyKnight Two,” Claudia Morgan replied, “on the deck at sixteen-twenty-five. And David… good show.”

         “Thank you, ma’am. I’ve appreciated the opportunity, despite the circumstances. Be advised, Gimp 3687 is signing out for the day.” On the spur of the moment, David had modified his personal radio call sign, 3687, and used it to say he was leaving the aircraft.

         “Copy, 3687. We’ll discuss that gimp stuff later. ‘Ell-tee’ 44 clear at sixteen-twenty-six hours.” As the engines spun down, Emily and André climbed out and made their way to the copilot’s door. Emily opened the hatch, then stepped up onto the entry step.

         “See, David? I told you she’d be here.” Looking over, David saw Melinda bringing the wheelchair through the door. “Okay, bud, let’s show her what you can do.” David took off his helmet, hung it on a hook at the front of the ceiling, then rotated his legs out of the open door. With help from the medics, he moved off the seat and was standing outside the aircraft.

         “Hold it right there,” Emily yelled to the approaching Melinda. “We’ve got something you need to see.” Melinda stopped at the edge of the helipad, where she was joined by Stephanie and Amos. She first saw the pilot walk around the front of the helicopter and hug David. What she saw next had her jaw resting on the steel-and-concrete deck of the helipad and made her hands shoot up to frame her mouth.

         With Emily on his left and André on his right, David shuffled his left foot forward. Two steps later, he looked to Emily. “I’m not sure I can do this.”

         “You did it before, bub. You can do it again. And don’t let your ’audience’ over there stop you from doing what you know you can do. You’re a special guy, David… show her just how special you are.” Emily gave him a quick peck on the cheek. “Now move your ass, mister.” David chuckled, then began shuffling his feet again. As they got to the wheelchair, Emily looked directly at Melinda. “Well, honey? You gonna hug him or what?”

         Melinda stepped around the wheelchair. As she approached David, everyone in front of her saw the tears on her face. After Melinda wrapped her arms around him, Emily and André stepped away. They knew they weren’t needed anymore.

         “When?”

         “At the airport this afternoon, Melinda. I’ll tell you about it later. Right now… I’m afraid my legs are starting to give out.” Hearing that, Stephanie immediately moved the wheelchair behind him. Settling into the chair, David said, “don’t get too used to me, wheels. I may not be using you much longer.” After exchanging handshakes and hugs with the flight crew, David and his entourage walked back to the vestibule while SkyKnight Two got ready to leave. David insisted on watching them launch. As the helicopter lifted into the bright blue sky, David softly said, “Fly safe, guys.”
© Copyright 2005 SkyHawk - Into The Music (emtnythawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/960040-The-Last-Alarm-KnightWATCH-Chapter-7