*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/962670-I-am-with-words
Rated: E · Other · Philosophy · #962670
And you? Still in progress, but feel free to review it
I remember, when I was a young girl and couldn´t speak or read, I was already fascinated with words.
Numbers never said anything to me and counting was a really the most unimportant thing to do in the world.
But, these little funny things called letters did it for me.
Why, do they make sense if I put them together?
And, when I put them together and add more of these funny letters, now words, why do everybody understand what I am on to say?

I was just able to make funny sounds like "eh, ah, uik" and so on and sometimes I let out the louds "Mama" or "Papa" (sorry, german *Wink* ) and all started to answer with "Did you hear this" and "How cute" and all the other little tiny things parents and friends are saying when they get overexcited with the first words of a baby.

Me just thought it was funny.
But, what was this little big thing my sister was holding in her hand?
She was looking in it and told my parents to read out of it.
Read? That must be something.
That sounded so wonderful that I started to laugh immediately as soon as somebody was putting those words into a row and were talking.

I loved those stories even I was not able to understand what they were talkig about.
But, who cares.
I am with words.

When I grew up more and was getting a bit older I found out, that this funny little big thing was a book and that all these words putted in a row makes sense.
They called it a tale and they spoke about a prince and a princess, knights, dragons and some other things, which came alive in my head.

And I loved the smell of the books. The ink and the papers of really old books gave me that prickle of adventure and the idea of the old times. In old libraries I had visions of men and woman sitting close over their books to write into them. As they had no eyeglasses they had to crawl into the big peaces of papers to see what they were doing.

So I grew up with many stories in my head and was fascinated of everything new I was able to read.
Sometimes I still didn´t get the meaning of the words, but I really liked them.
I remember back in school, during a lesson of biology (word?) we learned about the cell structure we were talking about the membrane of the cell.
There was one word, or better said, two words describing one thing, that stucked in my head and I never forgot it, just because I liked it.
It was called semipermeable membrane.
I just thought, wow, this word sounds just so good. It took me a while to understand the function of a semipermeable membrane, but the word were just amazing. It looked like a word from an alien and it sounded so round with all the "m"s in it. It was easy coming from my lips and was stucked forever in my head. When I found out the meaning of it, I was more fascinated.
One word can say, that only things of one size can come in, but never get out again. And this word describes also, that only things of this one size can slip in (already said that I know, but now it comes), not smaller or bigger sized things are allowed to get in or out.
Who woke up one morning and said that this complicated transaction could be called semipermeable?
I am with words

There is another thing that keeps me fascinated with words.
Just took the two languages german (my language) and english ( the language I really love because of its sound and melody).
Take the english spring.
This means growing flowers, the full power of hormones, love, the beginning of the weather getting warmer, the sun shines longer and all this.
Take the german spring.
It is different spoken. And the meaning is really unspectacular and boring. It just means "jump".
Who woke up one day in germany and said that the meaning is "jump" and who was the one in england who said that the meaning is the time before summer?
I am with words.

Maybe, this is the reason, why I like to write and to read.
I am with words and you?
© Copyright 2005 AnnaFassbender (annafassbender at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/962670-I-am-with-words