*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/964894-My-Mother-In-law-My-Mom
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #964894
This is about a wonderful woman, my mother-in-law
My Mother-In-Law, My Mom



         My mother-in-law had to grow up sooner then most children. Her mother died when she was only eight. She had to become mom to about six brother's and sister's. She did all the house work, the cooking, and even learned how to quilt blankets, plus anything else that needed done.

         She met my father-in-law when she was only seventeen. When they were first married they lived in a tent. That was in Three Rivers Texas, in 1935. They were married forty three years before my father-in-law passed away. Within that time span, she had seven children; six boys and one girl. All but two of the kids were born at home.

         She boiled water outside to wash her clothes on a scrub board. She never complained, she just did what she had to do. When she had time, she hand-sewed for her children while they slept. The sun never beat her up. She was already up getting breakfast ready for her family.

         Later in years, they moved to Dallas Texas, where she raised her children. Five of her children graduated, and two went into the navy.

         Mom has six daugther-in-laws who have grown to love her for the wonderful woman she is. Speaking for myself; her fifth daughter-in-law, she has always been there when my own mother could not be.

         Because my mother worked all the time, she was never home. So when I married my husband, I knew nothing about keeping house. Mom taught me how to clean, cook, can, and quilt. She did all this with love and patience.

         Mom is eighty seven years young and still lives alone. To keep herself busy, she cans pinto beans, and jellies of all kinds. When she is not doing this, she is busy sewing squares together to make quilts. All seven of her children have benefitted from her quilt making. Each of her children have at least four quilts to keep them warm. This would include a number of her grandchildren too.

         At Christmas time, mom gives each one of her seven children a care box. They are filled with can pinto beans, jellies, and things for the house. She does all this on a fixed income.

         If I could start my life over I would pattern my life after her. She is a wonderful woman who is loyal, honest, and loving. Not only has her generosity helped her family, it has effected others outside her family as well.

         I thank GOD everyday that she is a part of my life. This soft spoken woman is not only my mother-in-law...she is "MY MOM."

*Heart*
© Copyright 2005 Margaretbeth (margaretbeth at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/964894-My-Mother-In-law-My-Mom