*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/974784-The-Meaning-of-Life
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Philosophy · #974784
Simple I know, but sometimes the easy answer is correct.
Life is simple. Man is complicated


         For 2.95 billion years life has existed on Earth without ‘meaning’, then a band of renegade primates stopped showing up to the family reunions and ruined everything. These haughty australopitheceans developed intricate inner-ears and opposable thumbs and suddenly thought they were too good to spend one day a year with their knuckle-dragging cousins. Their heads grew large with every new discovery and invention they made; fire, and the wheel; combustion engines, and the Space Shuttle.

         I was sitting on an acorn covered patch of ground under a tree in the park, thinking about what I’m supposed to do with my life. Am I supposed to be the next President, am I supposed to write the next Great American Novel, or am I supposed to bear fruit like the tree? And, like Newton, I had a breakthrough.

Propagation


         From the single-celled organisms living in my shower, to the tomato plant on my balcony, life has but one purpose: to ensure the continuation of life. It’s man who added the ‘meaning’.
© Copyright 2005 jburgesscst (jburgesscst at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/974784-The-Meaning-of-Life