*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/975992-Twain-Shall-Meet
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Contest · #975992
What was he thinking?
“Hey,” said Buster, “How you doin’?”

“Well,” replied Clyde, “ Could be better. How you doin'?”

“ Why, I ‘preciate you askin’. Things have gotten purty bad at the ranch. Why jes’ yesterday, I put down ol’ Bessie.”

“Shucks, that is just awful,” Clyde choked. “After all these years, she‘s a part of the family near as I can reckon.”

“Yep. Ain’t it the truth. Don’t get worse than this, I ’spect.”

“Well, it might,” countered Clyde. “I had to sell the back forty to pay for the TEEUition for Junior to ‘tend college. Used to be all’s ya hadda do was ‘tend to your own business.’ Times, they change, though. When I applied fer the loan, the banker man told me, ‘You damn near bought the farm.’ Ooowee! That‘d be too much, don’cha think?”

“Shucks, that aren’t nothin. What if I tole you I ain’t et all day ‘cause the crops failed,
my wife run off with my brother, and I ain’t even shure who his mama is…now’s I considers.”

Clyde considered. “Well, if that don’t beat all! I figured I’d at least try to cheer you up in your time of deestress. But evidentually, you ain’t to be perked up in any fashion, so …”

“Hold it right there!” cried Buster. “My wife Bessie told me she runned off with my brother! Now, I know who you be! But I still ain’t sure about your Mama…”
*****
Sam thought about his latest novel entry. Would people like it? Was it humorous? Would they recognize components of his own life? Well, no matter. Clemens recognized that people thinking about others in worse straits than theirs would help cheer them up. And by this thought he was much heartened.
© Copyright 2005 gingerosa (gingerosa at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/975992-Twain-Shall-Meet