*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/977097-Star-Dragon
by Aruz
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #977097
First serious attempt for a high school writing competition. I won first prize.
Star - Dragon

Somewhere in the vast blackness of deep space, an odd particle started spinning. Faster and faster it spun, drawing other particles to it, so fast that even the light from the surrounding stars could not escape its grasp and were sucked into the swirling vortex. For a nanosecond there was a surge of energy, after which the vortex subsided. The gyrating mass of formless matter at its hub came to a halt and turned into the likeness of a shiny black egg. It remained inanimate for now, except for pulsing eerily every so often. The whole universe seemed to watch in anticipation as tiny glowing cracks appeared across its smooth surface. It contracted for a moment, as if to draw in a breath and then exploded into a seething sphere of brilliant blue that surged and flared outward. Inside, shadows writhed as Imago's hands moulded and tempered the stuff of the universe.

The sphere's brilliance diminished as the shadows within finally took form. A serpentine silhouette contracted folding batlike wings around it and the sphere shrunk with it. Then the dark silhouette exploded outwards and a final surge of raw energy drove it forward, making its huge wings fan out behind it. The creature's telepathic roar reached across the void of space and touched the minds of others of its kind, who were glad at the new addition to their ancient race and they praised Imago, Master and Creator of the All.
And the Master named the newborn, Quazaar.

The star dragon tested its gleaming talons, swatting a passing meteorite to fragments. Its majestic form glided forward as it beat its enormous wings. A million suns glinted off its mercury hide as it stretched its wings to their maximum and absorbed a wave of cosmic radiation, stilling a small portion of its hunger for energy. Tempted to try out its breath, but knowing it needed to build up its energy supply its thoughts turned to feeding. Instinctively it scanned the stars. There was always a nova after the birth of a star dragon. The star located, its massive jaw dropped open in anticipation, forming a funnel, and the star dragon streaked through the blackness of space towards its target, placed there through divine intervention.

Reaching its objective the star dragon braced itself against the monstrous surge. Its entire body felt the tantalizing sting of the radiation and it let out a roar of ecstasy that was drowned out by the blast, as it drank its fill of the cosmic stuff while being blasted backwards by the huge flare. Tumbling head over heels as it was hurled from the star, it laughed, a thunderous telepathic noise that woke other star dragons from their slumber.
"Supernova!” the newborn cried.
© Copyright 2005 Aruz (aruz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/977097-Star-Dragon