*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/980334-The-Firey-Furnace-version-2
Rated: E · Script/Play · Religious · #980334
written with fewer actors, dialogue just for the VBS staff/helpers
THE FIREY FURNACE

Characters:
Narrator/ King Nebuchadnezzar
Abednego
Jesus or cardboard Jesus cut-out
Shadrach
Guard(s)
Meshach
Golden Idol


Props
roll of foil to wrap idol
kazoos/rhythm instruments for each kid
crown
weapons for guards
cards with #1, 2, 3
red tissue paper hanging in coat rack for furnace
gold-painted cardboard toenail (3ft. tall)
rolled newspaper for fuel.


(Gather outside the room.)


Narrator: God’s people turned away from God and disobeyed Him, so God let King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon conquer them. He took captive the wealthy, educated people, leaving the poor to work the land. Then he had a 90 foot golden idol built. See this- it’s the toenail of the idol. (hold up tonail) That’s how big it really is!

(Lead the group, including Shadrach, Meshach & Abednego & guards into room. Idol is standing on a chair. Narrator puts on a crown)

Nebuchadnezzar: OK, you guys. I’m King Nebuchadnezzar, Lord of the Universe. I’m mean & I’m bad. You don’t want to cross me! You guys are now my official court musicians. (have group leaders hand out instruments) Anytime I say “the sound of horn and pipe” I want you to play. When you hear the sound of the horn and pipe (pause for them to play), you must fall down to worship the Golden Idol. (pause for them to bow down) Whoever does NOT fall down and worship the golden image at the sound of horn and pipe (musicians play, everyone except Shadrach, Meshach & Abednego bows down before the idol) will be thrown into a blazing furnace.

Guards: Aargh! Oh, King! Live forever! Shadrach (hold up #1) Meshach (hold up #2) and Abednego (hold up #3) [“and those guys” (if any students don’t bow down)] are refusing to worship your image of gold.

Nebuchadnezzar: What! Bring those scurvy varmints to me! (the guard drags them over) Is it true, Shadrach (#1), Meshach (#2) and Abednego (#3), [and you guys] that you refuse to fall down and worship my golden image at the sound of horn and pipe? (musicians play, kids bow) If you don’t, you will be thrown into yon blazing furnace!

Shadrach, Meshach & Abednego: (together with arms crossed) We will not bow down to your gods. The One God we serve will save us!

Nebuchadnezzar: Guards! Stoke up that fire even hotter! (the guards throw in some fuel) Throw Shadrach (#1) , Meshach (#2) & Abednego (#3) in!

Guards: Aargh! Certainly, Oh King! (they throw Shadrach, Meshach & Abednego in the fire. The guards collapse from the heat. One of the three lifts up Jesus cut-out.)

Nebuchadnezzar: Hey! Didn’t we just throw three guys in the fire? Now I see four, and one looks like a son of the gods! How did Jesus get into the Old Testament??? Shadrach (stick #1 out of fire), Meshach (2) and Abednego (3), servants of the Most High God! Come out of there! (They all walk out, raising hands over heads in victory, carrying Jesus.) Shadrach (1), Meshach (2) and Abednego (3) came out totally unharmed! They don’t even smell like smoke! Praise the God of Shadrach (1), Meshach (2) and Abednego (3)! He rescued His servants. They trusted their God and were willing to die rather than worship another god. Jesus saved them! Let no one say anything bad about their God, because no other god can save this way!
© Copyright 2005 Lobelia is truly blessed (mamahobbit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/980334-The-Firey-Furnace-version-2