*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/982225-Liberty-is-Dying
by Archie
Rated: 13+ · Other · Opinion · #982225
We are giving our liberty, our rights, away.
This veteran is ashamed of most of you . . .

We and our brothers in arms back to the days of the American Revolution laid our lives on the line, many gave their lives, to give us the government we have today, a representative form of democracy, a republic, a government that works best when its citizens participate. Where were you last election day? You certainly weren't voting, and, if you did, chances are you did not consider issues in the light of what is best for all our country.

Many of you voted out of fear, encouraging your Representatives and Senators to "please protect us," even if we have to give up a few hard fought for individual rights and a bit of our privacy, and a bit of our backbone, and a bit of our individuality. Small price to pay for safety, eh?

Hardly. Those things we are giving up, gave up as a matter of fact, are foundational to our society. They are the things that make our nation unique among all nations. They are neither Republican nor Democratic values. They are American values. And, thus, we are slowly becoming more like other nations, those nations whose citizens used to admire us, and now don't, because we have changed; we have made ourselves weaker. We have lost the thrill of liberty, of being free individuals with a government to nourish our liberty, not to stifle it.

Shameful.
© Copyright 2005 Archie (archiew at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/982225-Liberty-is-Dying