*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/983105-Crossover
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Relationship · #983105
Haven't we all been there?
I saw Caroline in Cruisers Saloon. Immediately, I had to get Joseph the hell out of there, before something bad happened.

It took me a few minutes to recognize her as she walked in. After all, she was this bible-thumping Christian from our hometown, where kids fell into one of two sides: Christians, or regular folk. The Christians were the flock that came from Oregon seeking freedom from persecution. The town opened up and welcomed them. Within a year, they had successfully lobbied to have the corner pub close at 11 PM, got the 76 Station to refrain from selling lottery tickets, and had the cigarrette machines removed from the bowling alley. They went after the liquor store, but met their match when the town rose up and essentially said knock it off.

The head minister tried to run for a seat on the city council, but lost. Five recounts revealed the same outcome: He had lost by four votes. He continued the crusade to clean up the town until the city council raised his property taxes. He took the hint and went back to preaching for change from within.

The kids over there weren't that much different than us in that they had the same characteristics we did. They were squirrly, obnoxious, struggling to find an identity. They got rowdy from time to time, just like we did. Their parties got just as wild and out of control as ours did. We both drove our cars the same way, too: In a constant hurry.

Thing was, the two sides rarely crossed over. It only led to problems.

In college, there were five of us from the town on campus. Three of us were regular folk: Me, Joseph, and Skylar. Caroline and Douglas were the Christian delegates. The three of us Regulars lived off campus together at Jackson Ridge Apartments with another guy from Minnesota, Tim.

Our college lives consisted of beer, pick-up basketball, ESPN, and the occasional class. Our study habits weren't the best, but we managed to get by. Most weekends were a blur, with someone getting ridiculously ill from the fun. In short, life was good.

Trouble started for Joseph in mid-October. He came home from class one afternoon with a dazed look in his eyes. I had heard he was smitten with a girl in his Economics class, but I wasn't sure. He saw me, smiled, and motioned me into his room, where he dropped a bomb on me. He was in love with Caroline!

At the time, I warned him of her status back home, that she was part of that tight-knit group that could convert you or cast you both out. He shrugged, telling me he could handle it. He then smiled and told me that the Christians were misunderstood in the community. I recoiled in terror at that comment, fearing she'd already gotten into his head.

The weeks went by, and Joseph was changing. He began refraining from Friday Happy Hour. His appearances at our parties became scarce, as he adopted a "Dry" approach to life. Suddenly, he was reading the Bible, looking up scripture that seemed appropriate to settings he found himself in.

Guys started disliking our lovesick roommate. We became quite annoyed with his sermons on alcohol. Sensing animosity, he stopped coming to our parties altogether, opting to spend time at the campus chapel with other self-righteous misfits in search of companionship.

It was hard for us to accept this sudden change. He used to like cutting loose with us, and suddenly he was watching out for his morality. He became afraid to play basketball with us, for fear he might have bad thoughts in the spirit of competition. His takes on televised sporting events were a nightmare as well, as he sought out to root for the players that had accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour, even if said player was on the team we all were rooting against.

Their relationship lasted for three and a half months. By then, he was less a man and more an obedient dog. She set him free one Friday afternoon. The break-up lines were in effect: It's not you, it's me, Let's be friends, I want a break, it's not fufilling enough. I want more out of life. You'll make one lucky girl very happy someday.

Joseph was devestated. He spent all that time going against every principle he stood for to please this girl, and she cast him aside as though he were an old shopper in the recycling bin. I went to him while he was in his room, crying. I put my arm around him and reminded that he was still one of the guys, and we still cared for him, no matter what he did for this girl. I think it helped, because he breathed a heavy sigh of relief and shook my hand.

His first night back with us was at Cruisers. We'd just finished the third pitcher, and I went for two more. As I walked up to the bar, I saw Caroline with a guy I'd never seen before. He was a short, pudgy guy with acne and the early stages of what would someday be a goatee. His t-shirt extolled the virtues of Metallica, and his too-tight jeans were faded and ripped. I got the impression he wasn't from school, nor was he of the Christian ilk.

I made my way to the couple. They were holding hands as I approached them. If Caroline was chewing gum, she swallowed it when she saw me. I looked at her and asked if her date had a name.

She introduced us. His name was Bradley, but went by the nickname, "Skeeter." He was the assistant manager at the Wendy's off campus.

I purchased a drink for Skeeter, Jack and Coke, then pulled Caroline to the side. I pointed out the sad remains we called Joseph sitting at our table, staring at his empty beer glass and missing her terribly.

She looked at him, smiled weakly, then told me of why she left him. It seemed she was tired of dating "good" guys. She wanted to cut loose, be the "Bad Girl." She started dating Joseph because he fit that mold perfectly. He couldn't be told what to do. He did things on his terms. As the relationship progressed, he not only failed to continue on his way, he crossed over to her way of life, right where she was trying to get away from.

I nodded, then reminded that if she was spotted in a bar, with Skeeter, Joseph would have to confront this. She agreed, and took her newfound friend to the back corner of the place. I urged the guys to go to Taters across the street, where Topher and the Moose were playing.

Joseph moved on, returning to his old self in many ways. The spirituality he had discovered while with Caroline pointed him into a Theology major. He did find out about Caroline's new love, and while it depressed him, it didn't last long.

Caroline dropped out of school and moved in with Skeeter. She got pregnant, and Skeeter bolted for life in the carnival. She moved back to Oregon, where she lives with a cousin. Skeeter hasn't been seen since, most likely because no one missed him enough to go find him.

They haven't seen each other since their breakup. Joseph eventually met the right lady and got married.

Sometimes I wonder what might have happened if they'd been more open with each other on their needs. Would Caroline be in Oregon? Would it be Joseph's child she'd be raising by herself? Maybe Joseph would have followed her, and they'd be there together struggling to make it.
© Copyright 2005 CrashRandy (crashrandy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/983105-Crossover