*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/983498-wolves-gathered
Rated: 13+ · Poetry · Personal · #983498
Was a friend used as a pawn to deliver pain? Regardless, I wish him the best.
Epistle to a friend

'wolves gathered'


Wolves gathered around to feast, my friend, did you know? Did you care? I only ask because somehow I have survived and thought I saw you standing there. I write to you to refresh the memory my trauma has erased.

Wolves gathered around to feast. You alone stood off beyond the rocks that I had fled to, seeking shelter, hidden in the shadows I had visited since I was 4. Circling, they each took turns to nip. Their howls gleefully announced the capture of their prey. I cowered. And thought of you, your silhouette so close, lifetimes away.

In the fog that came to cloak this mournful shame, misting over my wounded eyes, I did not blame. Were you the one who led them here? Too ashamed at last to feast? Or did you merely follow them? Then stood, saddened by the moonlight that chased the shadowed drops of blood? The ichor sank between the rocks to nourish those few thorns that starved in that fearsome place.

I begged. Just one last look into your eyes to know your heart. Just one last look into my eyes, so you could know that I would gladly put back on that cloak of flesh, to run with you between the stars.

And so the stars are ours, dear friend! Write, so I can join you in whatever constellation you have journeyed to. I will think of you each time I look into this winter sky and see Orion and his hound. They feel so close sometimes. I hope in peace this letter finds you and those you love.

© Kåre Enga

29 desember 2003.

NOTE TO RATERS/REVIEWERS:

This is poetry. It is a vignette. It is also an epistle, a letter, written to someone. A prose poem may have a bit of a narrative, but uses poetic devices: rhythm, rhyme, alliteration, image, etc. It is not a short story. It is not flash fiction. It needs to be rated as poetry first. If you feel it is prose, please comment. The line between the two is murky *Confused*. Also comment whether you think it is best in poetic form or in letter, prose form. I would prefer prose form. Which do you?
© Copyright 2005 Kåre Enga in Udon Thani (enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/983498-wolves-gathered