*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/983617-Breakfast-at-McWeenys
by dle
Rated: 18+ · Draft · Fantasy · #983617
A piece about a women stuck in strange town she can't manage to escape from
Ziggy had asked me to meet him for breakfast at McWeeny's this morning. He'd promised to treat me to one of McWeeny's famous southwestern omelets. But, food was the last thing on my mind.

I dragged in off the street like a wet kitten on a cold day. I wasn't in the mood for fancy eggs with a side of Ziggy's "spice-of-life" lecture. I wanted to curl up in a warm bed with a fluffy pillow and just feel sorry for myself. It'd been three days since Manny rode off into that sunset without me. And according to anyone and, well, everyone I asked - his return was indefinite.

I scanned the inside of McWeeny's bar half-heartedly and saw Ziggy sitting at a table near the bar. He was waving me over with over-caffeinated enthusiasm and I could only sigh as I trudged over to him.

"Good heavens! Rough night, eh?" He smiled his gigantic white smile at me and pulled out a chair for me to sit on.

"Yeah. You're lookin' pretty sharp this morning, too, Zig."

"Thank you, thank you, m'dear. I always thought this was my most attractive flannel." He winked at me and motioned for McWeeny to take our order.

"Good morning, you two." McWeeny greeted. "Or, perhaps a better morning for some of us than others..."

I felt both of their eyes on me. "What?"

Ziggy raised an eyebrow and McWeeny just shook his head.

"Can't a girl have a bad hair day once in awhile?"

"Cranky, that one." McWeeny said to Ziggy as if I wasn't right there within earshot.

"That's why we're here, my old friend. Two of yer famous omelets oughta set things right!"

"Coming right up!"

McWeeny ambled back to the bar and Ziggy turned his full attention on me.

"So, Anita...” he began, scratching at the beard hairs on his chin. "Are you clear on what day it is today?"

My eyelashes fluttered at him, annoyed, and I sighed. "Not really, but I'll play nice today. It's Sunday, right."

Ziggy grinned, "Fantastic! M'dear - that's just what I wanted to hear. No ramblin's about yer car and the town's conspiracy to keep you here? Fantastic!"

"If you say so."

"I do, I do. Which reminds me..." Ziggy fumbled in the pockets of his over-alls, and then pulled out a small silver locket. "Manny asked me to give this to you."

The intense pangs in my stomach made me shiver as Ziggy's last words resounded in my head. I twisted the wedding ring around my finger and tried hard to stave off the guilt I inevitably felt any time Manny's name was mentioned.

"Manny? Manny asked you? Did he come back?"

Ziggy's pale eyes were expressionless for a moment - his gaze passing through me as if I wasn't even there. But then he flashed those bright pearly-whites at me and took my hand in his.

"No, m'dear. I'm afraid I told him not to."


© Copyright 2005 dle (donealee at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/983617-Breakfast-at-McWeenys