*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/984340-The-Princess-and-the-Stray
Rated: E · Fiction · Animal · #984340
A tale about a kitty queen, kitty princess & a stray cat. For older children or adults!
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **



The Princess and the Stray


There once was a kitty princess named Isabella Rose who came from a long line of wealth and royalty. Her queen mother was named “Rosalind of Norfolk”. She was noted as very strict and somewhat of a snob amongst her peers. She only wanted the best for her dear daughter Isabella and would keep an eye on her day and night. Poor Isabella wanted to have some freedom without her mother constantly watching over her. So one day she finally gathered enough courage to ask her mother if she could go out for a walk by herself.

The queen responded, “Are you sure you are going to be alright? You don’t need a chaperone do you?”

“No mother I don’t. I just want to go out and explore the city on my own for a change, without any chaperones,” she said with a sigh.

Hesitant, the queen said, “Don’t forget to come home for supper when Francine rings the dinner bell."

“I won’t mother, I’ll be good I promise. Don’t worry about me."

And they gave each other a kiss before Isabella walked out the door. The queen mother wasn’t satisfied though. She was very leery about letting her precious daughter go out by herself and decided to spy on her. Just to make sure she wouldn’t get into any trouble, the queen followed behind her wherever she went and lurked in the shadows.

Isabella walked far that afternoon, too far in fact. She had fun exploring all the bugs and meeting all the new kitties of the neighborhood. Isabella had been taught by her mother to never eat bugs since they weren’t good enough for her to eat. But Isabella went against this advice anyway and decided to chase a bug of her own. It was a lovely cricket that Isabella found hopping along in the grass. Isabella pounced through the green blades of grass with the cricket just missing her paw each time, and jumping as high as he could.

Then finally out of desperation the cricket gave out a high-pitched squeal and shouted out to her, “Please don’t eat me! I can be your best friend. We can go places, travel and see the world together!"

She paused for a brief moment and looked into his frightened little eyes and decided to ask him what his name was.

He chirped, “My name is Hop-along, what’s yours?”

“My name is Isabella, please to meet you."

Isabella thought for a moment and agreed that it was a great idea for them to be friends. Besides, she could always chase another cricket some other day. Hop-along was ecstatic and jumped on her back and off they went to explore the town together.

Isabella wandered into a part of the neighborhood that she shouldn’t have been in. There were shabby old buildings and garbage cans everywhere. It was in a poor section of the town that she had never seen before. Stray cats were everywhere, and then to her amazement she found a thin tomcat pawing his way through the garbage. The tomcat didn’t find anything after much searching, so he gave up and then began to howl with an eerie, spooky tone to his voice. Isabella was frightened and began to walk away.

The tomcat said to her, “Excuse me miss, why are you walking away from me? What are you, a snob?”

“My mother doesn’t want me to associate with the lower class and she wouldn’t like me talking to you!” And she turned her nose up in the air, mimicking her mother to a fault.

“You sure look rich with all those diamonds. What are you, from royalty or something? Surely you can help a poor tomcat like me. Can’t you spare an extra morsel?”

Isabella walked up to him, stared him in the eye and said, “Alright, alright. I think I can scrounge something up for you. What harm can it do?” She sighed. “Maybe some tuna perhaps? I’m sure you would like that."

“Oh yes, I’d be eternally grateful to you."

“By the way,” Isabella said. “What is your name?”

“My name is Tom.”

“How appropriate. A tomcat named Tom,” Isabella said while snickering.

“Yeah I guess it is kinda funny.” Tom started to roar with laughter.

Then Isabella heard the familiar sound of her mother calling her. “Isabella!…I don’t want you talking to that stray, get away from him. We shouldn't be seen with the likes of him!”

Isabella sighed and looked down at the ground embarrassed. She told her new friend that she was sorry, but she had to go now. Poor Tom sat there crying and waiting for somebody, anybody to come and rescue him.

In the middle of the night Isabella and Hop-along decided to break away and go back to the shabby section of town to give Tom his meal. Though it was quite risky, Isabella felt sorry for the stray cat after all. She was actually showing that she had a good heart and wanted to help the less fortunate.

Isabella and Hop-along snuck out together in the coldness of night. The moon was a big round ball of bluish white glow. And it skimmed the buildings and made them look beautiful, but very mysterious.

Isabella was a little afraid being out so late at night. But Hop-along assured her that he knew karate and would protect her. Isabella just about burst out laughing when Hop-along assured her that he would “protect and serve” his royal princess from being attacked. After all he was just a small cricket and probably couldn’t hurt a fly. But she humored him anyway and pretended to feel safe and secure.

Isabella came to the exact same spot where Tom was earlier in the day. And she found him all huddled up sleeping by the trashcan.

“Psst…hey.. I have your tuna for you….Tom…wake up."

Tom shook his head with bewilderment and looked at a shadow of a cat in the partial darkness. He recognized her voice, that sweet adorable voice! It was his love, the princess herself! He got up and dusted himself off.

“Hello my fair lady, I’m so glad to see you again."

“Here’s your tuna,” Isabella said as she shoved the can over to him.

Tom was so ecstatic; he finally got something to eat! And that something was delectable albacore tuna, the best tuna there is!

“How can I ever thank you sweet thing?”

“It’s okay you don’t have to, I wanted to help. But I must go now, before my mother wakes up and finds me missing."

Tom winked at her and started to eat feverishly at his tuna.

“Bye now,” she said.

“Bye, bye sweet princess."

Tom could not get over the beauty of Isabella. She was the most beautiful cat he’s ever seen and wealthy too! Tom was talking to his friend Peanut Butter who was an orange and brown colored kitty and telling him how much in love with the princess he was. He had a crush on her.

“How can I get a cat like that to notice me?" Tom asked. "She would never marry me or even be seen with me! Her mother the queen yelled at her the other day. They would never want me in the royal family."

“Maybe you could clean up a bit and maybe then she will go out with you Tom,” Peanut Butter suggested.

“Well, that might help some I guess, but then the queen would recognize me and know that I'm not royal or wealthy."

“Maybe you can disguise yourself somehow,” Peanut Butter said.

“Yeah that’s a great idea! I’ll look totally different. I’ll wear a tuxedo and a top hat. Maybe trim my whiskers and get a haircut," Tom chimed in.

They laughed and Tom was whoopin’ and hollerin’ at the prospect of finally being a part of Isabella’s world.

“Oh, but you mustn’t forget,” Peanut Butter said. “You need to act and speak like royalty too. You need to take etiquette lessons to be a proper gentleman."

“Ah yes, I forgot about that. I’ll work on that too. Maybe that high class, chap from down the street will do me a favor and help me. Besides he owes me a favor."

“Great idea," Peanut Butter said. "Well I should be going now and leave you to your thoughts."

With his tummy full, Tom began to fall asleep and dream sweet dreams of his princess and their wedding. He saw his love with a gorgeous diamond tiara and a white bridal veil attached to it. He also saw a beautiful diamond collar around her neck. Oh what a sight, she was the most radiant bride ever!

“Princess, hey princess are you awake?”

“I am now!” She said rubbing her eyes. “What’s troubling you Hop-along?"

“Oh I was just thinking that maybe we should do this again tomorrow night, you know, sneak out and give that tomcat some more tuna. He looked terribly skinny and some more food would do him justice."

“Okay, lets do it! Besides I actually had fun going out this evening for a change, even though it was a little scary being out that late at night. It ended up being a true adventure!”

“But princess," Hop-along said. "I’m here to protect you, always!"

“I know you are,” Isabella smiled, "I know you are."

The next morning Tom went to his old friend, a chap named “Winston Rockefeller” who owed him a favor. Since Winston went from rags to riches, he had enough money to give Tom the proper disguise for the princess. Plus Winston could show him the proper etiquette and manners that were needed to impress the royal family.

Tom scratched on the door and Winston came prancing out. “Hello there, my fine friend. It’s been along time since I’ve seen you…..won’t you come in?"

Tom was nervous being in a luxurious mansion, but he carefully jumped up on the gold and red sofa without clawing it up.

“I need to ask you a favor. You see, there is this, um, this princess that I want to impress,” Tom said stuttering.

“Princess!…did you say princess?” Winston asked excitedly.

“I know it’s hard to believe, but she’s the greatest little cat you’ve ever seen. I need to impress her and the royal family and I need your help. I need some sort of disguise and I need to be taught exquisite manners from a fine chap like yourself."

“Ah yes, I can help you indeed. Come this way."

Winston went to his closet full of beautiful clothes. He had all sorts of suits and tuxedos with top hats and all. Tom picked out a gorgeous tuxedo and also a top hat with a beautiful pink satin ribbon trim. And Winston gave him a pink carnation for his lapel. He looked very dapper in his new tuxedo. Winston also decided to get his friend a haircut plus a wonderful shampoo bath. Then it was time to teach him the lessons on becoming a fine gentleman. One who could truly be called “the cats meow".

Isabella and Hop-along snuck out again that evening with tuna and some delectable chicken pieces that she snatched from the silver tray just before going to bed. Luckily the queen didn’t catch on to her shenanigans. Isabella went prowling the streets and started to run too fast with Hop-along holding on for dear life!

“Hey slow down there princess!” he shouted out. "It’s hard enough holding onto this tuna can that’s strapped to your back." Hop-along suddenly fell inside the can and got drenched in a bath of juices. Hop-along was struggling to speak to the princess and almost drowned.

“Hey princess, hey I’m inside the can!”

Isabella stopped for a moment and thought she heard muddled voices like someone was talking to her under water. She realized it was her friend after hearing a shrill voice coming from the top of her neck.

“Oh Hop-along I’m so sorry, I’ll try and slow down.” And she helped her friend up out of the tuna can.

An out of breath Isabella came to a complete halt up to the trashcan. Bewildered, nobody was to be seen, no tomcat, nobody! Where could he be? She thought. She then set the tuna can down and put the chicken pieces right beside it. Worry filled her heart as she wondered what happened to Tom.

“Well," Hop-along said. "Maybe he’ll come back soon, maybe he’s just out gallivanting around town.”

“Yeah I guess so," the princess said. "I just wish I knew he was okay."

They sat there for a good hour waiting for Tom, but finally gave up and left. Little did Isabella know that Tom was well taken care of by a Mr. Winston Rockefeller. Not only did he offer Tom a place to stay, but all the food he could eat as well, while giving him lessons on becoming a proper gentleman.

Tom came back the next morning just to see if he could catch the princess. He looked down at the tuna and chicken treats, now surrounded by a swarm of flies.

“Oh no, my princess came to give me food, and I wasn’t here to greet her!” Tom was heartbroken beyond repair. Only seeing his love again could repair his already damaged heart. Tom sulked and walked away. Perhaps he would find the princess if he searched hard enough.

Tom waited till the sun dropped below the horizon and then decided to give up. He figured it was time to go back to Winton’s to finish his training. Plus by now, he was getting mighty hungry and needed a good meal. Too bad the tuna and chicken pieces were already spoiled now, Tom thought.

As Tom walked through the neighborhood he heard a familiar voice calling out from a far away distance.

“Tom, tomcat where are you?"

Tom was certain that it was his princess that he leapt up in the air with excitement and came crashing down only to twist his front paw. He started to run while limping, but he was too excited to slow down. Then he spotted the princess sitting right next to his favorite spot, that old rusty trashcan.

"Oh there you are!" Isabella shouted out. "I’ve been so worried about you. When I didn’t see you last night I thought something might have happened to you."

“Don’t worry about me doll,” Tom said. "I’ve always survived this hard and brutal life of mine. Oh and by the way, thanks for the meal you brought me last night. You see I wasn’t here and was staying at a friend’s house. He is a well-to-do bachelor that offered me a place to stay and a few meals. You might not see me for awhile, so I just wanted to let you know so you wouldn’t worry,” Tom said.

“Oh I see,” Isabella said with a sigh. Perhaps she was missing him already.

Tom chimed in, “You know princess, you can always come and visit me at Winston’s if you’d like, and I’ll even give you his address." Isabella’s eyes lit up like two firecrackers igniting on the Fourth of July.

“Oh sure, I’ll come to visit you, but I can only come at night. You see, my mother is very strict you know."

“Well that’s okay, it’s a good thing Winston and I are night owls, or should I say night cats!” Tom belted out a laugh while charming Isabella right out of her socks and with her chuckling right along.

Isabella went home with Hop-along and she confessed that she shouldn’t have judged Tom at first and that she really does like him.

“But princess," Hop-along said. "You shouldn’t be liking a stray.”

Isabella chuckled and corrected him, “You mean-- I shouldn’t like a stray?”

“Oh yes, that’s what I meant to say, thank you princess.” Hop-along cleared his throat and corrected himself. “You shouldn’t like a stray. What is your mother going to think of all this?”

“I just won’t tell her that’s all. Besides we are just friends."

Hop-along rolled his eyes at this point because he knew that the princess was already in love with Tom, but she didn’t quite know it yet herself.

Tom was doing great with all his training on becoming a proper gentleman. He was taught how to speak proper English. He learned how to eat with good manners and how to dress formally. Each day Tom had a different lesson to be learned and Winston was quite pleased with the results. He will surely impress the princess and the queen now, Winston thought.

The next day the queen had a talk with Isabella. She told Isabella that she heard a rumor of her being seen with that tomcat again and sneaking out of the palace. Queen Rosalind asked her if this was true. Isabella had no choice but to confess her misdoings. The queen told her she didn’t want her talking to the stray cat ever again. And if she caught them together she would give her the strictest punishment. Isabella was frightened and agreed not to see him anymore nor sneak around. She would be a good kitty and never associate with the lower class just like her mother had taught her.

Tom was wondering why he hadn’t seen his princess yet and began to worry about her. He couldn’t figure out why she hadn’t visited him. The only answer that he could come up with is that maybe somehow the queen stopped her from going out.

Now was the time to put his plan into action. It was time to get bathed, groomed and dressed. His disguise was much needed now. So Winston and his servants helped Tom get ready. He got the full makeover treatment. He got his claws clipped, whiskers trimmed and a haircut. He was fully bathed and soaped up. He was a changed cat indeed; one wouldn’t even recognize him now.

“I can’t get over the difference," Winston said. "You look like a completely different cat. This is amazing, simply amazing,” Winston shook his head with disbelief. “Why, I don’t even recognize you Tom. You look so charming, so handsome. Surely the princess will fall for you now."

“You really think so Winston?" Tom shouted with glee.

Tom looked in the mirror and was awe struck. He himself didn’t recognize the handsome cat now staring in the mirror at his own reflection.

“You know, they will never guess it’s me!” Tom chimed in. Tom was enthralled and leapt up in the air, running all over Winston’s luxurious mansion.

“Hey there, settle down Tom, you are liable to get yourself killed." They both laughed at Tom’s excited behavior.

Tom said to Winston, “How can I ever thank you?"

“You just did,” Winston said. "Besides I owed you the favor."

Tom left for the door and now it was time to find his beloved princess. Tom walked proudly down the street to where the princess lived. He walked past the slums of the neighborhood and then into the beautiful section of town.

He devised a plan to tell the queen that he was the Duke of Norfolk. He gathered up his courage after much pacing and took a big gulp of fresh air and started going up the palace stairs. Tom scratched on the door in a very formal and graceful manner.

The kitty maid Francine opened the door and said, “Yes, can I help you?”

“I’m sorry I didn’t announce my arrival, but I’m here to see the queen about some urgent matters. I am the duke….The Duke of Norfolk!”

“Oh heavens, nice to finally meet you….the queen has been wanting to discuss some matters with you for quite some time now. The queen isn’t here though; you just missed her. She went out for some tea and biscuits.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry she isn’t here. May I speak with the princess perhaps?"

“Oh why yes…I’ll go and get her."

The princess came out and Tom’s poor heart was beating a mile a minute. He was so nervous and wanted to make the best impression. Isabella looked beautiful as ever with her diamond tiara and her gorgeous green, almond shaped eyes.

“Nice to meet you duke,” the princess said graciously.

“Very lovely to meet you too,” the duke said politely.

As the duke was talking, the princess smiled and just stared at the chap. He was the most handsome cat she’s ever seen and so charming too. She envisioned for just a brief moment of them being in love. The duke smiled and was as gracious as ever.

They had a long, lovely talk that day. And then Isabella started to stare at the duke, noticing that there was something familiar about him.

Tom became nervous and felt a little uncomfortable and asked, “Is there anything wrong my dear?”

“Oh no," she chimed. "It’s just that somehow you look familiar to me, but I guess that’s impossible, isn’t it?”

Tom whispered in her ear, “I’m not who you think I am."

Isabella paused for a moment and said, “Well who are you then?”

“It’s me, the tomcat!”

Isabella almost fainted and had to regain her composure.

“What? Is it really you?”

“Yes it is my dear, I did this all for you."

“I just can’t believe it, you are so handsome and charming. No wonder I was thinking of us being together and in love. You were the same cat that I’ve loved all along."

Tom blushed, “And I love you too princess. I’ve been wondering for quite some time if you were sweet on me,” Tom said coyly.

“Yeah I guess I tried to hide my feelings for you. I was too concerned about my mother and what she taught me. She said to never associate with the lower class.”

Isabella looked up at the clock and noticed how late it was. “You better go now Tom, it’s getting late. I’ll explain to my mother that I’ve met the duke and what a fine chap he is."

“It will just be our secret for now, okay princess?"

“Okay,” she said. And Tom walked out the door and said his goodbyes to Francine and the princess.

Isabella and Hop-along had a long discussion after Tom had left.

“When did you realize that you loved Tom?” Hop-along asked.

“I woke up this morning with a song in my heart. It was a beautiful love song of a princess falling in love with a poor stray cat. You see, Hop-along, it doesn’t matter that he doesn’t have any money. I woke up this morning missing Tom, more than I ever have before. I realized that I was just pushing my feelings aside for him. But I really loved him all along, I was just too stubborn to admit it.”

Hop-along smiled and said, “I knew you loved Tom, I could tell.”

“You could Hop-along? You are a very observant cricket.”

Hop-along stood up straight and gave Isabella a wink and a smile. “Yep, that’s me, old observant Hop-along!”

When the queen came home the princess told her all about the duke and that she wanted to see him again. She said how much she liked the duke and that he would make a fine husband someday. The queen was excited and couldn’t wait to meet this noble chap that Isabella was ranting and raving about. Alas, her daughter would be with someone of great stature. This is what she’s always wanted for her dear daughter.

Tom told Winston all about the great success of the day. He told Winston that he confessed who he was to Isabella.

“Wow, she must have been stunned,” Winston, said.

“She sure was…I told her that it would just be our secret for now."

“Are you ever going to reveal yourself to the queen?"

“Oh yes, I plan to reveal myself very soon,” Tom smiled. “Speaking of very soon, may I use your telephone?"

Tom called the palace disguised as the duke and arranged a meeting with the queen for the next day. The queen was delighted to hear from the duke and finally get to meet him.

Scratch, scratch, Tom rapped on the door gently. The queen opened the door this time and introduced herself formally. She thought the duke was the most gracious gentleman she’d ever met. And the queen noticed how delightfully handsome he was too.

Princess Isabella came out and offered her paw to the duke and he in turn kissed it. Isabella blushed. They all had such a grand time together, that they lost track of how late it was. They were talking for hours on end.

Then the duke said to the queen that there was something he needed to tell her. Shaking in his boots, he felt like he had a brick in his stomach from being so nervous.

“What is it duke?” The queen asked.

“I have something very important to tell you."

“Is it the matter regarding the citizens of this town?"

“No, I’m afraid it isn’t…I have a confession to tell you."

“Oh?" the queen said. "Well go ahead and tell me then."

“I’m in love with your daughter and I must confess that I’ve been seeing her for quite some time now."

“Really?" the queen asked. "But why hasn’t Isabella told me about this before? I don’t quite understand."

“Well you see," the duke said. "It’s because I’m not who you think I am."

“Well then, who are you? You aren’t the duke?”

“No fair queen, I’m not. I’m that stray cat that you didn’t want your daughter to be seen with."

Rosalind, the queen burst out laughing. “Oh no, you aren’t serious are you?" She thought for a moment that maybe it was a joke.

“I am serious. I’m a stray cat that’s so in love with the princess that I was willing to go this far for her and disguise myself."

“But you are so charming and well groomed, what happened to you?"

“I had a friend of mine named Winston Rockefeller help me. He taught me all the ways of becoming a proper gentleman." The queen paused for a moment in utter shock.

“Mother," Isabella said. "Don’t you see he loves me and he will take good care of me. He did this all for me and this family!"

The queen realized how hard she had been on Tom and felt bad about it. She then realized that she shouldn’t have judged him so quickly and that he really did have a heart of gold despite how poorly he looked in the beginning. She realized he was worthy of marrying her daughter.

“I’ll say this for you young fellow, you certainly fooled me. But it taught me a great lesson to never judge a book by its cover. You are good enough for my daughter and although you are not of royal descent, you have my blessing!”

Isabella wept with joy and hugged her mother and then hugged Tom in disguise. But now, it’s no longer a disguise. Tom has finally revealed himself! Now Isabella and Tom can love each other, get married and live in the palace happily ever after.

The End

© Copyright 2005 Michelle M (addicted2tz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/984340-The-Princess-and-the-Stray