*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/986873-a-captians-unknown-journey-home
Rated: 18+ · Sample · Sci-fi · #986873
a working progress yet again, i'll be adding more. :-)
3rd moon of the year 1304

Today is supposed to be a day of historic importance to our race. The war between our civilization and the mechanizations has driven us off our home planet. They did this by changing the atmosphere to be unlivable. Sure the planet was dieing anyways, but it had been doing so for many a millennia. We have been steadily working towards a solution since the last time we had to change planets.

We are lucky that our technology was advanced enough and we had started to terraform the 4th planet from the sun in hopes for immigration in case of unforseen events, unlike before when we had to search for a livable planet. We have learned a lot about how a planet works and functions since then. It was a pity though that we had to leave some behind in the last planetary move, and then losing communication and visual abilities...sad. We are not about to let it happen again.

We call them mechanizations because of how they first appeared to us, they acted and looked very machine-like. We have been able to recover very few of their corpses in this battle. I say corpses because we have learned that although they appear machine-like, they are actually silicon based life forms. By the time we realized this, the name of mechanizations had already stuck. We decided to continue with this name, or at least until a better name presents itself to us.

As far as we could tell at this time the mechanizations don't need the same type of atmosphere to function as we do, so in an attempt to more easily overthrow us and take what they wanted from the planet, they started to change the atmosphere faster then we could restore it. They seem content at the moment to do whatever they are doing on the planet with us gone. Accept for the infrequent mechanization that comes here exploring, We don't come across many of them at the moment. They are getting harder to evade.

They will soon know that we found a new home. so we must work fast. And strike back while we can before they suspect.

I have been selected as top of my field as test pilot to fly a theoretical new ship into what we think may be the origin of the mechanizations. We only know vaguely what quadrant they come from in space.

The ship that has been built for me to pilot has been equipped with all the latest and experimental tools, weapons and supplies that we may need for our trip. I am not the captain of this ship, I will just be the pilot, for at this time I alone have the experience with the new sub-space travel technology. I will......

BLIP BLIP BLIP...

The vid-screen on the desk was going off letting me know someone wanted to talk to me. Reluctantly I saved and turned off my personal log and...

"begin" I said to allow the communication to start.

The face of a older man showed on the screen. In his eyes you could see ancient wisdom, which may be part of the reason he held a primary position on the seat of elders. Although he is the youngest of them he carries the most authority.

"Hey...were the hell are you man, you should have been here a half hour ago. your late." cracked the voice coming through the speakers.

(must be disturbance in the upper atmosphere again) I thought...

I slowly turned towards the vid-screen to be in better view for us both as i replied with a grimace. "Ahh...you know they wont be ready when I get their, they never are."

The man in the vid-screen adjusts himself, visibly anxious...

"Even so, thousands of people are here waiting to hear word from you before you leave...unless their is some miracle you ARE our last hope right now.. you know that right?"

"You don't have to remind me" I scowled... "I am reminded everyday what this day means to us.... give me a little slack here ok?"

I lean back in my chair and shut my mouth before I could say anything more that might upset him. He has plenty on his mind as it is...

"Yeah... I know.. but you cant let up for a second, a lot of people are counting on you. The whole damn system as a matter of fact."

I sigh as I relent to his plea...

"yes of course...be right their sir." I replied

I noticed a small smile of reassurance appear on his face as i said "off". Then watched as his face disappeared from the screen.

I stood at the entrance to my living quarters one last time, thinking of how I'm going to miss this place and all the people I know.

"Terminate" i said. Giving the command to completely shut everything down, I won't be coming back here anytime soon.

© Copyright 2005 jimmie1977 (jimmie1977 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/986873-a-captians-unknown-journey-home