*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/988505-The-Surprise-Wager
by nomlet
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Relationship · #988505
Brenda and Eddie in the summer of 2005.
Eddie was first through the door. He stalked straight across the living room, leaving Brenda to gather the mail and shut the door.

"This is going to be perfect," Brenda called out. "Joel told me about this new Greek place in the Loop. I haven't had good lamb since—when was that trip to Chicago?"

Eddie ignored the question. He was already in the den. "Pizza, babe. We're going to the Thorn for brews and a pie."

"That place is such a dive." It was fine when they'd been high school sweethearts, but Brenda had moved on. Eddie, of course, never had.

"You like their pizza," replied a distracted voice from the other room.

"No, you like their pizza—and that bimbo waitress." Brenda slumped into a chair by the door to wait.

"Where is it? You need to clean all this writing crap up. I can't..."

"Bottom shelf. Right next to the monitor. Right where it's always been."

"I don't see... Oh."

Eddie opened the book, and there it was in black and white: 'surprise'.

"This thing can't be right," Eddie muttered. He gave the big, red book an unconscious shake. Maybe a jiggle would indicate it was broken.

"It's a dictionary, sweetheart."

Eddie snapped the book closed. Greek? His stomach rumbled in protest.

"A bet's a bet—now where have I heard that?"

"Oh, all right. Damn those silent 'r's. I always misspell that word!" Eddie grabbed his jacket and headed for the door. Damned if he was going to shave—not for Greek! He didn't look at Brenda's smug grin on the way out.
© Copyright 2005 nomlet (nomlet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/988505-The-Surprise-Wager