*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/994094-The-Three-Citadels-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #994094
Second chapter of The Three Citadels - the tale of an epic fantasy adventure.
         Revelations and Revolutions



Talisburn was a small village community that stood at the bottom of a hill south-west of Attesberg and it shared no resemblance bar the fact that they both stood on the same hill.
The village of Talisburn was a small wooded place surrounded with great fences that interlinked with each other acting as a barrier many foot high. And it covered the town on all sides. The houses within its circling structures were built with dark oak and were so mighty in build that they cast shadows over the pastures and surrounding land. And the dwarfed trees and plants were rich in colour and splendour. The whole of Talisburn stood abruptly and proudly at the bottom of the hill and surprisingly in poise even though the vast levels of its brother building stood high above looking down menacingly at the hills top. And Talisburn stood forever in its shadows. For it was Attesberg that was the key to Talisburn's survival. And it was their trade that kept the citadel of the Lord and the village of the Prince thriving. Or standing at least.

And so it was that the Prince was making ready for his arrival to Attesberg and was exchanging words with his messenger in the villages' stables as the horses were being readied for the upward journey to the citadel. "Oh, there was one thing I forgot to mention earlier sir," said Goshua as he was adjusting a saddle, "one of the servants at the citadel told me that the Lord would be holding dinner about 3 o' clock".
"Dinner?" said the prince half surprised. "Is that so? Well I think this calls for you and Duphos to come along with me then. I'm sure you'd love to attend".
"Oh yes sir, very much so".

And a smile took form on Attahl's face "Well then it has been arranged. Duphos! Duphos!" And from the corner of the building came a figure in answer. "Arh, there you are my friend. Goshua has just informed me of the Lords plans for dinner. And how could I attend without my two faithful companions". And without further adue or questioning the three companions mantled their horses and set off on there excursion. "And besides," added the prince at length, "I can't go on my own this time, who knows what the Lord's cunning mind may be intending".

The uphill road ahead seemed long and barren under the dull light of the moon that shone pale on the ground. The night was growing cold and it would take at least till early noon until they reached the gates of the citadel. Attahl was striding proudly in front followed closely by Duphos who was measuring the landscape and imagining the buildings and people of their destination. For he had never visited the citadel before and didn't know what to expect of it. And finally came Goshua reluctantly bringing up the rear on his trusty mule Ted. For he was negatively pondering his last meeting with the Lord which wasn't a particularly good one, so much so that he was half expecting the "true meaning" of Attahl's late arrival that "no one should know" and that "he wouldn't be proud of would be to banish him forever of the throne of Attesberg. For these were the words of the prince earlier. Who knows what the prince intended to do to "end the Lords reign". And then at that moment, Goshua's eyes were caught on something flickering in Attahl's jacket pocket. It seemed to be some sort of stone, but it seemed to him more enticing and alluring, and it gave off a charm whenever he looked closely at it. Infact he became so attracted by it that half of him wanted to swipe it straight from Attahl's pocket, and he seemed so puzzled as to why such a beautiful and wondrous object would be so exposed in a pocket. But then the other half of him came into play and he thought it best to not let on that he saw it because it seemed to precious and he so humble that he had no right to have seen it; and he whipped his eyes back to the road ahead as night was slowly withdrawing behind the clouds and the citadel was approaching. But his mind did not leave the object, and he longed to know what it was.
"Have the crowds finally left?"
"Yes my lord" said Attesborough's faithful servant Celasus "only a short while now before Attahl comes I should think, judging on the horizon. But of course there will all be back again shortly for the arrival once again.
"Ah never has this happened before. Now I have had to deal with two rounds of Merrymaking nonsense". And the lord gave out a dismal sigh and his servant brought him a plate of cheeses. "I wonder if Attahl has been informed of dinner, I intend to make everything run smoothly when the time comes. Everything must go according to plan, I have spent many days and weeks preparing this dinner for I have something special to reveal to the Prince. Something I hope he will like the sound of and if all goes well he'll eventually agree to it. I have not organised such a pleasure for nothing".

Indeed the crowds at the main gate started to fill up again with all the people gathering around from the last time and more, much more.

Word must have spread across the other levels about the delay and as the Prince declared in his letter, this had made the event all the more exciting.

It was about one o'clock and Celasus was commanded by the Lord to fetch the porcelain plates and cutlery; "I want the finest pots we can muster and I want then soon".
"But sir the porcelain has not been shipped hear for months. It would take a year at least for it to arrive".
"Ah yes, but I am not talking about that cheap porcelain we usually get. I have reserved a fine set down in the cellar". The cellar was a dark barren place of the citadel and was kept well hidden from any intruders, for it held many fine things from priceless paintings to hand crafted sculptures to fair jewellery to rare weapons and other of sorts. But there were of no interest to strangers that wandered abroad for they were all made within the stone walls of Attesberg and by it's people, but Attesberg was so immodest an unsparing about them all that he felt they should be kept secret. In fact they were nothing special at all apart from the fact that they were attractive and wondrous. But he felt they should be kept hidden nonetheless.
"Well in that case sir I'm right on it". Celasus made his way out of the tower and down to the floor below. On the journey he passed many great and wonderful towers. The mighty towers of Attesberg were a sight to be adored by any man. They rose up to a hundred feet before there pointed heads peered down at the lonely lands below. They clung and buckled to the hill all around as if they were part of the hill itself. Like they were etched out from the soil and loomed their untouched and unspoiled by anything.

Many of the towers were occupied by watchers and rangers with keen eyes with their crows, seeking out the lands as far as they could see, watching for any intruders (as rare as they were). Then above the towers, at a greater height still are the great Horns Of Echoing. There was one on the left of the city, and one on the right. They reared up into the sky, soaring through the air until the stone gave way to a gigantic horn of brass etched with gold. There they would give off a mighty blow to alert the whole of Attesberg and rock the very foundations of the hill. But the people of Attesberg were so used to the sound that they were immune to the noise and carried on with there business almost unaffected. They would blow on command of the Lord, who would pass on to a servant, and from there they would alert the captain who would trigger the call. And when it blew all the birds and all the beasts would scatter and run to they burrows in fright, or succumb to the noise and fall on the spot. This was why civilisation around the hill of Attesberg was none existent. For the Horns Of Echoing were also the horns of warning, the horns of threat, the horns of cowardice, the horns of solidarity.
"Hear me now for I say this for the last time. I cannot let anyone enter the cellars", said a guard who was stood before the tunnel of the cellars, he had a determined look on his face, "there has been strange noises coming from down their during the hour. No one has authority to go down their till the cellars have been thoroughly checked. I suspect there is an intruder lurking there. The first intruder to the cellars there has ever been I should say".
"Rubbish!" Came the reply.
"You do not have authority! Now be gone with you, or I'll send for back-up and have you dragged away in shame".
"Well does a man who has been travelling for two hours from the top of the city to the bottom under the command of the Lord Attesborough as a servant been sent on an important errand concerning the arrival of Prince Attahl have authority enough?" And a confident look came from Celasus and reached the glance of an abruptly silenced guard, bemused at the wrath of his opposition. "Now stand aside," he continued "I must fetch some crockery". And without hesitation the guard moved aside, overpowered by Celasus authority. "Ignorant fool", muttered the servant under his breath as he walked through the entrance to the tunnel into the cellars.

The entrance itself looked like eroded stone that had rotted over the years and was moulded into the wall, hardly noticeable. Like the entrance of a small cave, and as Celasus walked in further he felt an overwhelming sense of claustrophobia as if the walls were closing in all around his shaking frame. He had not been down here before and was quite apprehensive. The small tunnel he was walking through seemed endless and seemed to get narrower as he moved on. And the smell of rats and faeces was thick in the air and having no idea of were he might be walking because of pitch blackness a thought came to his mind of anger and sharp questioning; why has the lord put me in such a mess and sentenced me to such conditions? Do I not deserve more? I'd rather have my eyeballs taken out and my nostrils removed than go further into this chasm! And just as he was about to turn back (disobeying the lord for the first time) there came to a wide space. As if he had reached an opening of some kind. The walls seemed to lift up from his shoulders and he felt slightly eased, but the blackness was still there, thinner as it was, and the air didn't smell as foul. So he regained his will and moved on, but he couldn't think of how he could possibly hope to get the crockery in such darkness. It seemed impossible. Then he realised that there was light, there was a light source coming from somewhere. Then he looked up and noticed that there was a single candle hanging from the low ceiling. And the strange thing was that it seemed to be making a swift, sometimes rapid movement, but there was no wind. How could this be? It could only be something that was moving. He thought. Something else is here with me.

He looked closer... it was! moving, infact the candle seemed to be swaying more than when he looked from a distance. It seemed so strange.

Then, all of a sudden…it went out. Just curling smoke…and blackness. Total blackness. There was a loud crash and he flung his whole body to the direction of the noise. And then there was another. SMASH! Celasus was stiffened with the noise and fear grabbed him tightly. Here he was, in the middle of an isolated blackness. Standing on this wide room, and suddenly he felt vulnerable, vulnerable on all sides. He couldn't find words. He couldn't find the words to ask the blackness what the noise was. The guard was right, there is an intruder!

Then at this thought he new he had to make a stand. He was no measly labourer. He must make a stand! He was Celasus, the right hand servant of the Lord of the citadel, he couldn't let some poxy thief invade the cellars. "Who goes there? You here me?... Show yourse-". Just as he spoke he heard footsteps running towards him, then BANG! And a blow to the head knocked him on the floor. He found himself looking up at a young shaggy heard lad. An intruder. But he thought he had seen him before, some days ago, there was something about the stranger he recognised, but then darkness took him and he was lifeless on the floor, with blood gushing from his head. The servant wasn't moving.

An hour later at the banks of the hill Attahl and Duphos were approaching the gates of the citadel, strolling attentively on there horses. Then suddenly an anxious looking Goshua came running towards them in their direction, panting for breath. He was running almost over his own feet, he stopped, glanced at Duphos and then at Attahl, mounted his mule who was stood near in waiting, and the three of them continued on sternly, in deep silence.

As they neared the great Horns Of Echoing were clearly in view over the skyline and then the sound of trumpets could be heard. "Well here we come at last Attesberg" said Attahl, appropriately breaking the silence.
"They must know we are coming", added Duphos. They carried on, keeping there steady pace until at last the crowds were coming into view under the distant gate. And then the glittering red suits of the Merrymakers were appearing. Some were mounted on the walls, some on the gates and on the highest peaks of the towers, and they all held brass trumpets to their lips and blowing down them with the utmost joy. The sound was that of musical grandeur. There glimmering red suits were shining on the walls like a river of fire, for fire was in their hearts at this joyous occasion. And as the three figures came closer into view the red, glittering suits started jumping and hopping on the spot. Jumping so high up, to almost their bodies length and springing back up to blow another note on their instrument, and it seemed to flow. One band would leap into the air and then a group from the other side would do the same in unison; and then the next two groups that lined the wall would do the same, and swiftly working there way inwards till they reached the centre group, and they would throw confetti over the gates and then every time the turn came to them again they would throw another load and then another even further, then another; until eventually they would consequently create a path of confetti leading out several feet from the gate to which the arrivals would walk over to meet the procession. This was often the ritual that the Merrymakers would do when the Prince was arriving.
"Well this is something else. I've not had a crowd this big since I came here with pots of gold. And that was a trade deal to never repeat itself. And the Princes eyes turned to his two companions, "Stay calm my good friends, I'm sure you haven't seen a sight such as this before. But this is how happy these people get when I come to Attesberg. It's almost like they are trying to tell me something. Like they have hope for something. And by seeing there joy Duphos and Goshua; I hope you understand why I said what I said back at Talisburn. I don't want to leave this place again knowing that I've left those people wallowing in their misery once again".
"So do you mean to stay this time Attahl, is that what your saying".
"You now that answer yourself Duphos. And all will be revealed after this dinner the Lord has for us. For I will be holding a confidential meeting. You both will attend it, and so will all the commanders of each of the levels over there in front of us".
"Are you sure? That's a risky move, what if they turn on you when you reveal your ermmm, proposal."
"Well I have not told you everything I will be revealing at this meeting. For all will be revealed when the time comes, but for now, just act normal".
".. .and will the Lord be attending this meeting?"
"Now what sort of silly question is that".

Duphos turned away and looked at the crowd awaiting them.

But Goshua could barely look up to treat the crowd with a smile. His head was down and a strange cloud of guilt was hanging over him. He couldn't find the strength to act normal. Attahl didn't ask what the matter was. For he half expected this anyway.

Then suddenly a roaring so loud that it snapped Goshua right out of his temperament and forced them to steady their horses as they reared in astound. Everyone awaiting them were cheering high above the sound of the trumpets on the walls above. All the farmers, all the labourers and all the maids were dancing, singing, shouting and prancing.

And then after many minutes had past before the company could even get past the gate for the crowds and greetings, the Merrymakers dismounted the walls and towers and all lined up in row upon row on the front grounds of the first level. Lined up like an orchestra ready for a performance. It was time for the Salutation Song. This was the name given to the song that Merrymakers would perform for the Prince. Each time it was different. And much of the time the Merrymakers spent between visits went into fashioning this song. And everyone halted and looked up on the wall where the masses of Merrymakers were situated, and they waited... until suddenly after a curious wait, they finally broke out on song:


O' the arrival
What a merry day it is
The clouds are melting and the sun is setting in
And on the distant horizon our saviour could be seen
And the clouds were gone and the sun was pristine

O' this hour shall be remembered
If ever we should fall or stall
Or our fate be rendered to a gall
This hour shall be remembered, this day shall be remembered

We are decorating the occasion with song and dance
With trumpets we make music
On the walls we prance
With song and dance we prance we prance

But down to business now and we've had enough
Enough, enough we've had enough
No more hammers, no more brooms
No more cleaning these shabby rooms
No more commands from the man above
Dictating our lives to cleanse and scrub

Our saviour is here once more
To protect our freedom
So you can’t hurt us no more
Or drag us to the floor

But we are in sorrow no more!

Our belts are up and our feet are down
We cannot stay here
While that man wears the crown
So we offer you now
Our flesh and bone
To knock that Attesborough right off of his throne!


And at that line the Lord held up a hasty hand, "Be silent!" He said with embarrassment; "The merrymaking is over!" And the Lord along with his humiliated pride retreated to his highchair.

An hour had passed and the Lord had commanded for Attahl to come up to his tower for his patented dinner. Since then the uproar and celebrations had long passed. They would have gone on a lot longer however, though they were abruptly stopped. There has been many Salutation Songs but this was slightly more harsh, lets say. Bearing in mind that they unashamedly said what was on their mind. In fact they were quite relentless in their assault on Attesborough.

As Attahl, Duphos and Goshua made their way up the tower (accompanied by guards) they walked calmly, not knowing what to expect (with bystanders being restrained from diving at them with overexcitement, as some indeed did).
"Hello at last Attahl, it's good to see you again", said the Lord trying to look as though unaffected by the less than flattering performance earlier. He appeared half reluctantly through the archway with a patronising smile and led them through to the next room. "I hope you enjoy the effort I've put in for you. I've had my servants running wild to present this dinner to you". And at the word servants, strangely Goshua's head seemed to drop to the floor. But no-one seemed to notice.

There was a large table in the centre of the room with a large window to the left that had a spectacular view of the whole of the castle top to bottom, with all the plain lands ahead. There were seats to fit kings and queens. Huge, leather and satin padded armchairs with their backs lifting up two foot over the persons head. But the largest of all was Attesborough’s at the head of the table. It was at least twice a big with great blue globe like balls of ruby at the front of the arm rests. So large was the table that it was only one foot from the wall at it's perimeter.

Already seated were six noble looking men, and there keen eyes peered curiously at Attahl and the others as they entered. They were dressed in black tunics lined with silver at the sleeves and necks. And they held swords at their sides and whips draped over their backs. They were intent looking people that looked as though they wouldn't be shaken by anything or anyone. They were the commanders of the six levels of Attesberg. Their job was to maintain each level of the citadel and command those all within it. And all though they had great authority, the Lords servants had greater; and thus was the pecking order, still they sat respectfully and waited intently for the rest of the party to be seated. Attesberg gave the command and Attahl, Duphos and Goshua sat opposite the almost stone like stare of the commanders, and to Goshua they looked rather menacing. "Tell me again Attahl, why was it that you arrived so late". Attesborough asked.

There was a brief silence. Almost of intense thinking.
"I was delayed,"
"Yes. Your ermmm, friend said".
"I think you'll find the Princes friend is a loyal servant of Attahl, not much like the slaves you keep here". Duphos took the chance to defend his friend and associate.
"Alright there's no need to get angry, I was only commenting. He wasn't the most co-operative messenger I've had come out of Talisburn. Infact I don't think it would kill to show him some manners, I didn't seem to know who he was talking to when I brought him to my tower."

Goshua was sat silent the whole time. "I do believe we are here to talk about the current state of our homes and trade between them. Not the integrity of my comrades". Interrupted Attahl.
"A well, it's funny you say because as it happens I have quite an adventurous deal for you. I have informed my servant Celasus of this deal and unfortunately he has not returned. I sent him to get a special set of crockery I had reserved down in the cellars. Ah well never mind I'm sure he's still down there looking for them, but in the meantime we'll have to make do with these wooden eyesores".

One of the commanders spoke for the first time; "Would you like me to send for someone to fetch him my Lord".
"Oh no, I'm sure he's down there somewhere" unhesitant, Goshua came at him in answer.

There was a strange exchange of looks between the them until Attesborough began where he left off; "yes but don't be put off by it at first, just here what I have to offer and speak when I'm finished explaining it and not a minute sooner if you don't mind. It is a complicated offer".

Attahl and Duphos nodded.
"Attesberg is a high and mighty place", he continued, "you know that. I own these walls. This whole building is mine, it belongs to me. Not you, not your comrades not anyone else. It's mine! I have ruled here for 50 long years and I am still going strong. Our resources have never gone bust and I have kept my workers on their feet from day one. And yes, much of that is to do with you and your home Talisburn, and that is precisely my point. I want Talisburn Attahl. I want it for my own. It's a strong sturdy place and has been living under my power for many long years. But now I want to put that place out of it's misery, I'll take the darkness that you live in and bring you into the light. I can help your people Attahl, I can save them. If you agree to hand over Talisburn and it's meadows into my hands then together we'll rule the whole of this Hill and everything within it. We'll create an empire. An empire out of these lands. We'll make an army so strong that none of the mysteries of the unseen lads ahead can defeat.
Do you see this dream? Do you see what is in my mind Attahl?"

There was no reply, just an intense stare of aghast.
"You can't admit you don't wonder what's beyond this citadel, this has been our prison for to long. We must see out of the box, how ignorant to our own civilisation are we Attahl".

Finally there came a reply "Yes Attesborough. I agree. 50 years. 50 years of misery and slavery. And now you announce your desire to expand this misery. To take over my home. The very home that all my ancestors have so peacefully lived in"
"Oh save me the pity Attahl, it was my creation, my Horns Of Echoing that have kept your peace, kept the predators away".
"What predators, who said there was predators, we now not what other races or creatures roam the lands. We have isolated ourselves Lord. And now finally I begin to see that you have finally realised this. And you want to dispel this ignorance once and for all. But by using the force of power, by taking control of my respectful home, by building an army, by pillaging and burning the lands, this is surely unjust. I cannot let you do this".

And fury took over the Lord, "Bah! Who are you to act like you hold the power! I am the master, I am the ruler!"
"You are corrupt! You've gone ma-"
"And I will prove it to you! I will prove my power to the whole world. I'm sick of sitting solemnly in this tower! I want out! I want to be known! I want everyone to know my name. I want everyone to know my power and to bow to my knees! And it starts here. With your consent or not! I have had enough talking round this table. Sack dinner! I want to act now! Soldiers!"

And at the clap of his hand a trap door opened from the floor. And from it soldiers clad in white and red marched up onto the floor above in front of the flabbergasted party. There were fifty of them at least, and more were coming up behind. "Aha! Indeed I have already begun my deeds. For some time now I have been building this army in secret, and I know exactly what I want to do with it. If you won't join me, then your against me! Stuff Talisburn. I need it not. I only asked it as a test to see if you would agree to it. And as I expected you haven't. So now I say goodbye prince. This castle is yours. I need it no longer. I'll grow on to greater things while you stay here, and you stay in your ignorance. For now I am the one that has dared to act against it. I will se the land you have not and I will rule it. Goodbye!"

And he grabbed a short sword that was hanging on a loose racket, and shot of down the trap door and all the rd and white soldiers followed sternly. Leaving Attahl and most of all his Commanders in a state of utter shock and confusion. What was going on? They thought. The Lord has gone mad.

But no-one bothered to run after him. The Commanders tried but they were stopped by the prince. "Don't bother gentlemen. Leave him go. He has deceived us all. He has abandoned his home and it's people. He seeks only power now. I knew he was planning something. I could tell by the intense questioning he gave Goshua up in his tower. He had something up his sleeve. But do not fret. I have come prepared. The Lord has indeed gone corrupt".

One of the commanders spoke "I cannot believe what I have just witnessed we must go after him! We don't know what he is planning".
"No, we must leave him. I don't know were he is going but I also have a plan. We may well meet him on our journey".
"Journey?" said Duphos.
"I think it's time to explain".
© Copyright 2005 Archaic Torso (wakeupdead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/994094-The-Three-Citadels-2