*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/995072-The-Legacy
Rated: E · Sample · Fantasy · #995072
The start of a story i'm writing. hope you enjoy.
“The World is changing my son,” Andrún said. His deep blue eyes stared into the placid green of his son’s as he sat upon his lap. “Why does it have to change?” Merrinad asked, “Can’t it stay the same?” Andrún smiled “Many of us wish it were that simple, however we cannot have everything.” “Why not?” That’s the way it is,” he said lifting Merrinad from his knee “ The richest man in the world may have powerful armies, money and influence but compared with the vastness of space and time, he has but a grain of sand.”

“Merrinad!” a woman’s voice called, “Time for your bath.” “Must I go father?” Merrinad pleaded. Andrún smiled “I think its best for you to do as your mother asks.” The boy hung his head, then turned and vanished down the hallway. “Look at you!” the female voice exclaimed “No more playing in the mud for you.” Andrún sat back in his chair and surveyed the room around him. It was warm and comfortable with maroon sofas and footstalls. A fire roared in the corner contained by its iron worked shield.

He scratched his chin through his thick grey beard, which fell to his waist. His skin was aged and sunken, heavy bags drooped low under his eyes. His head was covered by a mass of mattered grey hair that was hidden under a red skullcap. A long brown robe covered his matching red tunic. Drawing a deep breath, he sighed and brought his hand to his face and leant heavily against it. The gold ring on his middle finger glowed as the shadows and light played upon it. His eyes stared at the fire opposite him, watching the flames dance upon the broken wood.

Water splashed in the next room, and seconds later a naked Merrinad raced around the corner and sat shivering in front of the fireplace. The light of the fire illuminated his blonde hair, making it appear as if he had a head of flames. Shortly after a young woman rounded the corner, a woolen towel bundled in her arms. She scanned the room, her eyes passing from Andrún to the naked Merrinad, to whom she approached and wrapped the towel tightly around. As she rubbed the boy’s shoulders with the towel, she looked over at her husband who was still staring into the fire.

“Andrún” she said, “Are you okay?” Andrún’s eyes moved from the flickering flames and looked into the eyes of Eldion, his wife. She was beautiful with long shoulder length brown hair, and high cheekbones. Her rosy cheeks shone like fireballs on her fair skin, her brown eyes were warm and loving. “I’m fine” Andrún said, “It’s been a trying day at the council.” “Well it wouldn’t be the first time, the council is full of crazy wizards that have spent too much of their life fighting dragons and mythical beasts.”

Taking the towel from his mother, Merrinad ran and jumped back on Andrún’s lap. The small boy wearily laid his head against his father’s chest, breathing deeply. The women smiled at the boy and stood. “Is that nasty man, Grymetian causing trouble again?” Andrún nodded “I fear Grymetian is becoming too powerful for his own good. He has gained an ever-increasing confidence from the other members and he is casting a shadow over those who oppose him.”

Eldion stood and gathered Merrinad from his father’s lap, taking him into the next room, leaving Andrún to ponder. Eldion returned a short while later wearing a worried expression. “Is it really that bad? I mean could Grymetian be working for the city not for himself?” Andrún laughed “Grymetian wouldn’t trouble himself with the needs of those around him, all that satisfies him is at the end of the day how much money can he earn.” Cringing Eldion strode across the room and sat on the sofa next to Andrún, placing a hand on his knee.

“What are you going to do?” Andrún shook his head and scratched his chin “I could consult Cynelic about the matter, he will know what to do.” “Wouldn’t this alarm Grymetian and force him to abandon his efforts until the investigation died down?” Rising, Andrún paced the living room breathing hastily. He approached the window and stared out into the peaceful summer’s night. “To be honest Eldion, I don’t know what to do. All this may well be the mind of an elderly wizard beginning to fray. Perhaps I am becoming too old to take up my seat on the council.”

Andrún sat up for most of the night, thoroughly thinking through his thoughts, eager to separate fact from fiction. He allowed his mind a break when Merrinad came running from his room and dive again into his fathers lap, long after his mother had gone to bed. “Father I had a bad dream!” he exclaimed. “Don’t worry,” Andrún said wiping his son’s tears with Merrinad’s nightshirt “I’m here with you know.” Merrinad sobbed softly then hugged his father tightly. “Here,” Andrún said lifting his son from his knee and placed him on the floor in front of him “I’ll show you something.”

Merrinad watched as his father reached out and cupped both hands, one on top of the other. Andrún’s eyes closed, and a bright glow appear at the creases between both hands. Smiling Andrún opened his eyes and looked at the anticipation on his son’s face. Casually he moved the hand on top to the side and a beautiful white dove soared out into the room and landed on Merrinad’s shoulder. It cooed softly and fluttered its long royal wings. Merrinad’s mouth was open and his eyes wide at the spectacular sight. Reaching over, Andrún pushed open the window allowing the cool breeze to flow into the room. The cool air parted some of the dove’s feathers and it took flight and disappeared into the night. “You know Merrinad the simplest of all people can overcome shadow and darkness with a little imagination.”
© Copyright 2005 ScionDarkness (sciondarkness at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/995072-The-Legacy