*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/995270-An-interview-with-WDC-Author-Starrstruck
Rated: ASR · Interview · Writing · #995270
Interview with preferred WDC author, Starrstruck
This interview is being submitted for the following contest:

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#976530 by Not Available.


Let's welcome Starrstruck,Starr Phenix a preferred author here on Writing.com for a couple of questions about the genre.

#1 - When did you start writing?

I started writing poetry and lyrics in 1981 after getting my hands on Stevie Nicks' incredible album "Bella Donna". I've always loved singing and my first 'dream' was to become a rock singer, but Stevie's poetic and richly descriptive lyrics inspired me to find my own voice. If not for her, I might never have evolved from poetry and lyrics to full-blown novels.

The first time I tried my hand at writing one of those full-blown novels was when I was in my early twenties. Though I'd written various shorts for school projects prior to that, the early nineties was when my dream began to shift focus from music to writing, and I truly stretched my wings. I have one completed novel from that time period, and even though I think it's awful, I hang on to it for sentimental reasons. I figure, a finished novel is quite a milestone and should not be tossed aside carelessly. *Smile*


#2 - Who are some of your favorite authors? Why?

Anne Rice - I fell in love with her Vampire Chronicles as a teen. I have always had a
certain affinity for vampire stories and her take on them was unlike anything else I'd seen prior to that. My favorite series of hers, however, is the Mayfair Witches series. Rice has a unique voice and her world is easy to get lost in, her characters empathetic. I feel she's
truly one of the modern 'greats'.

Stephen King - King is everyone's favorite author, and while listing him may seem trite, it is not without good reason. No one weaves a tale quite like King. He is another one of those modern 'greats'; perhaps the greatest. His imagination seems limitless, and his appeal is broad. What more could an author ask for?

Jude Deveraux - This is the lady who inspired me to write a family saga romance. *Smile* Her numerous Montgomery/Taggert family novels are consisent hits hits, and considering I was a pre-teen when her first novel was published, that's saying a lot! Jude has an easy, clean style which is also rich with emotion and imagery. She creates likeable, lasting characters, and continually transcends the romance curse of 'cliche' with the quality of her writing. She is what I aspire to be in the genre in many ways.

Rebecca Brandewyne - Brandewyne is another shining star in the romance genre for me. She has a rich, poetic, almost ethereal style that never fails to capture my imagination. Her stories are epic and sweeping, and so well crafted that it seems almost a tragedy when you finish the last page. She is fearless and innovative with her plots and characters, taking romance to fresh territory while retaining the familiarity of the genre at the same time. Her tales also tend towards the dark and gothic, which is something that appeals to me both as a writer and a reader.


#3 - How did you find WDC? What do you like about it?

I found WDC in a Yahoo search. I tried out a similar site for awhile, but it wasn't a comfortable fit for me. From the very beginning, WDC offered a welcoming and nurturing environment that I found appealing. I like the feeling of community here, and the variety of items and activities to be found.


#4 - Who are some of your favorite authors on WDC and why?

I don't have as much time as I would like to putter around ports, but I have found a few that I hit no matter what when I visit. One of those is yours. *Laugh* Another is Stiggles . She is awesome. I would also highly recommend gentlmnwritr.

I count these as my favorite authors here because they never fail to engage me with their work. Each has a unique style and voice, and it is easy to lose yourself in their worlds.


#5 - When you read, what do you look for? Plot, Characters, Action?

The first thing I look for is plot - is it something that piques my interest? As I read, does it hold my interest? Characters are also undoubtedly important. The plot may draw me in, but it is the connection with the characters that keeps me there more often than not. Action is important, but I am more of a 'feelings and mood' type of person. I read to make an emotional connection. If I don't, it won't matter how much excitement you put in there. I think that a good story will have an equal balance of all three elements.


#6 - What inspired you to write the vampire story "Eternal Night?"

Pure, shallow reasons! I wanted the vampire to "get the girl"! *Laugh* Of course, what did I do? I gave the girl to someone else and totally decimated the vampires life. Go figure.

I've been drawn to vampires since I was about 5 years old and saw the 1931 movie version of "Dracula" for the first time. Bela Lugosi scared the mess out of me in black and white! Despite the fear, there was something that drew me to the vampire and I've been hooked ever since. They have become, unfortunately, an overused archetype, but they really are fun to write.

As is the case with so many of my stories, this one grew into much more than its initial conception. It went from being a simple story about a sexy vampire to a fantasy novel dealing in themes of religion, spirituality and a study of human nature, itself. I have done nearly as much 'grunt work' for this story as I have my "OUAT" (The Once Upon A Time" Series which includes "THE HIDDEN PRINCESS) series, and once I am 'done' with that one, will be my primary focus.


#7 - What inspired you to write "The Hidden Princess?"

I have very odd, vivid dreams sometimes. I always dream in color, and sometimes my dreams are cinematic in nature. This was one of those dreams. The dream itself was a simple "cute prince bursts into a peasant cottage to claim his lost princess" scenario. When I woke up, I laughingly realized it was a perfect 'bodice ripper', and sat down to write the prologue and first chapter. It wasn't a project I took seriously until the faithful group at my messageboard, The Underground, read it and begged for more. The deeper I got into the story and its characrers, the more it took hold of my imagination. It has grown into a true monster. *Laugh*

#8 - Who are your favorite characters in your writing? Why?

My favorites are Bastian, Edana and Bowen Nash from the OUAT series. I enjoy writing for them and I tend to 'feel' them more than the others. They are all complicated and dynamic in their own ways. Bastian and Bowen are passionate and strong, but they always tend to do something to sabotage themselves. Edana tries to do the right thing, but it always seems to cause her pain, in some ways. There is more of myself in these three characters, I think, than in any of the others.

#9 - What is your favorite story in your port?

My favorites from the stories I currently have posted in their entirety here are "The Beasts of Saxony" and "Eternal Night". Oddly enough, both are first drafts, but I feel that the storytelling is solid and rich. Each challenged me and took me past my limitations in one way or another.

#10 - Cast your favorite story.

Here's my 'cast' for "The Beasts of Saxony":

Wolfram Nash: Kevin Nash (a pro wrestler)
Anneliese Stratham Nash: Carla Gugino
Helga Nash: Catherine Deneuve (sp?)
Bastian Nash: Triple H (a pro wrestler)

Amery Rambert: Sam O'Neill
Rosalind Rambert: Lisa Zane
Edana Rambert: Rachel Weisz

Robert Holley: Bob Holley (a pro wrestler)

Norbert Stratham: Gabriel Byrne
Louise Stratham: Olivia de Havilland
Theodore Stratham: Joaquin Phoenix


For Eternal Night:

Alexa: Evangeline Lily
Waite: Josh Holloway
Lucien: Stuart Townsend
Ban: Ian McKellan


#11 - What's your favorite short story in your port?

"Dainty Dorrie Hanks", a western I wrote for a contest here at WDC.

#12 - Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?

Read! A lot! *Laugh*
Seriously, the more you read, the better your own writing will be.

© Copyright 2005 StephBee - House Targaryen (sgcardin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/995270-An-interview-with-WDC-Author-Starrstruck